FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Customer Service/Return Policy Feedback Request

Post Date: 2016-06-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Chakra View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chakra Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Customer Service/Return Policy Feedback Request
    Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 3:36pm
Have been looking for a computer for about forever. Found one on here I would really like, but am extremely hesitant due to all the costs that are on the customer (like shipping, restock fee, etc.) in case of issues, and the lack of good customer service hours.

I can't afford to be out $1500, and buying from Best Buy, Newegg, etc, offers that peace of mind I don't find here. But, I really like DS's rig the best, especially since I can get Windows 7, which is all but impossible elsewhere these days.

Any feedback from customers on dealing with these kinds of issues?

Thank you!
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 8:35pm
hi there,

it really is entirely up to you as I go through the same fears you are experiencing now everytime i buy from DS. What happens if crap happens and i have to ship the entire thing to DS? I hate calling in to troubleshoot my computer because that really means i have to take a whole day off from work.

I understand 100% of your fears but then again, I've bought 2 computers from DS since 2010 (going to buy a 3rd one soon i think...)

The thing i tell myself is this:

1. I don't think i can get the same quality of care + parts at bestbuy and newegg.

2. The support from forum members in DS is bar none. Probably better than bestbuy tech support. Buying from newegg doesn't give me any peace of mind except I have to RMA stuff myself lol and they don't give me tech support really.

3. Computer for computer wise I can't find a replication of it. If you do, post it and we'll hack it thru.

But yea, I'm just telling myself 1) it should be OK, 2) if it happens i know that it WILL be a hassle but I have the whole forum behind me + Alex/management that will stand by their products to make things right.

THEN AGAIN - i don't have any issues that i have to send back so far so i can't say much to that end, but looking at other forum posts you are in good hands.
Number of DS rig owned: 2
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 12:48am
The fact that DS stress tests every machine, above and beyond normal, or even enthusiast, conditions means that they can work out any bugs or gremlins long before you see the machine. This in an of itself will cut drastically the chances that you'll end up with a lemon.

Also, DS' warranties are among the best, most comprehensive in the business. They will do everything in their power to make your machine work perfectly from day 1.

Having said all that, there are failures. There is the 1% of machines that just won't be right no matter what you do for any number of reasons. If you happen to fall into this category, you'll be glad that you choose DS over everyone else because they have proven time and time again they are willing to go the extra mile to help make everything right.

The other companies? Not so much. They are interested in making a sale. DS is interested in making a satisfied customer.

Big difference.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Snaike

Having said all that, there are failures. There is the 1% of machines that just won't be right no matter what you do for any number of reasons. If you happen to fall into this category, you'll be glad that you choose DS over everyone else because they have proven time and time again they are willing to go the extra mile to help make everything right.

The other companies? Not so much. They are interested in making a sale. DS is interested in making a satisfied customer.

Big difference.

The above statement is true but I have to disagree with the "1% of machines that just won't be right no matter what you do" I will disagree with that part only as my experience is different.

@Chakra
Yes when you get a pc things can go wrong specially when you are talking custom parts.

For me when I chose a custom builder it was about customer service and not whether the pc itself was good or not, let me explain.

You see the parts you want from a custom pc maker is basically retail parts you can go grab yourself, the reason for this is that if the warranty runs out or other reasons, if you want to change/upgrade the part you can do so without having to go thru DS.

From Dell or etc, they use some special parts you can only get from them and if they don't have it or make it then you are out of luck, this makes upgrading or changing parts down the road very difficult, plus they are always behind in parts as far as having the latest thing.

Now with pc parts specially retail parts, you can have things go bad for various reason, lets say for example one of your ram sticks your ordered from amazon or newegg or wherever is a lemon and has to be changed, or your motherboard got damaged in shipping. These are all parts of buying over the Internet, the damn shipping and fedex and ups that really don't care about our boxes. The same thing goes for pcs, you buy a nice pc over the internet, they build it nice and great, it passes all the test, they ship it and you don't endup getting it the way it was shipped.

So for those reasons when I shop on line I alway look at customer service and how they handle problems.

It was here that DS won me over others, I see problems but they do go out of their way to make sure the end results is that you are happy.

Long story short my advice to you is to look at customer service first because if something goes wrong, which it does a lot when you are talking shipping, they all you are left to work with is customer service and if that sucks that you are out of luck.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Jun 2016 at 3:23am
Chakra View Drop Down

Quote Chakra Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 1:26pm
Thank you for the feedback!

I am honestly about having a nervous breakdown on this purchase. So much money!

This is the configuration I am looking to buy:
https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1442359

Windows 7 is the primary reason I want this build. (Plus, it seems like a good gaming one.) So, this is very important to me.

The risk I see at the outset is Windows updates. They broke on the last computer with the O/S installed to the SSD (not a Digital Storm purchase), but because I had bought it through NewEgg, I was eventually able to return it for a full refund (after trying for days unsuccessfully to resolve the many flaws), at no cost. The return shipping was free, too.

If that happens to this machine, I think I am going to be out a lot of money. Digital Storm return policy is not the best, frankly.

Will my computer come with current Windows updates (already installed)? Is the stress testing done on an updated version of the OS, or just the factory install, which is literally years out of date at this point?

What happens if I try to patch to the SSD, like on the other one, and it dies painfully, too? If online/phone help fails, at the minimum, I will be out the cost of shipping the computer to the tech center, right? That is already around $100 or more.

Just trying to weigh the risks here. I really, really want this machine, or I wouldn't be so invested.

Thank you again, all!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 2:03pm
Hi Chakra... Any online purchase can carry risk.   Being nervous about it is what most of us go through each time.   While DS does stress test it and pack is very well, components can fail at any time and the shippers, UPS, FEDEX, usually do good but there are horror stories out there.

That said, the majority of computers arrive in excellent condition and setup and run as is expected.    You'll always read of stories, anywhere, of issues, but it's the support behind the purchase that makes the difference. DS will support what they build, otherwise most of us wouldn't be here.

DS will ship back and repair any shipping damage.   They will also pay for shipping both ways for the first 30 or 45 days, can't recall.    That's the time most issues rear their ugly head.

Issues are usually resolved over the phone.   If a part needs replacing, it will be shipped to you and either they or us on the forums can help.   

Windows will need some updates.   Just not possible for a builder to keep up with it.   I always recommend doing it on manual, at least initially, to have some control.   

You can buy a PC at a local box store and have issues.    While shipping damage isn't as much an issue, even though it is shipped to them, the parts are still like other parts, can fail.     

DS does use all off the shelf parts from reputable manufacturers, and not proprietary parts like the motherboard, power supply, etc. build just for them and hard to replace .

I recommend DS.    They do a nice job and stand behind it. Plus the forum members are another excellent source of info and troubleshooting.

Hope this helps and let us know.

Your Vanquish build is best bang for your buck.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 5:18pm
We cover shipping within the first 45 days of delivery which covers 99% of any issue that would occur after you get your PC. There is zero risk to the customer.

We offer a 100% refund that starts 30 days from the day you get your PC, as long as the issue is directly due to the computer and not software or user error.

We now also ship replacement parts to customers via Express shipping for urgent issues within the first 60 days of arrival.

We also cover 1 way shipping for service work as well.

There are a lot of things we do to address any concerns.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 7:49pm
Alex pretty much said what I was going to add plus much more.

Not sure what this ssd business is about btw, patching? etc? only thing you need to do with a ssd is keep its firmware upto date which with a good ssd (like the ones offered here like samsung) has a simple app/way for you to update firmware in windows and simple reboot. Also we always "Clone" ( you can follow my clone guide here) our windows drive to an external drive so that if something happens we have a full working backup of it to restore from onto the same or a new drive and pick backup where we left off before the problem.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Jun 2016 at 7:50pm
Chakra View Drop Down

Quote Chakra Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 6:08pm
All right, Digital Storm. I took the leap of faith and bought it!

Don't let me down!

Thank you, everyone, for the feedback!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 6:45pm
No worries, something goes wrong or you need help you just come here

Congrats Let the torture begin
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 11:53pm
If email address for ordering and email address for forums are EXACTLY the same, you get the "Verified Customer" badge.

Congrats and welcome to the family.   
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 2:53am
Congratulations. AwesomeYou will be very pleased.
DS, the company and the forum, are unbelievable. If you have a problem (and I have had a few of my own doingIm%20with%20Stupid), the family here usually won't stop until you are back running or your system has to go back.Big%20Smile

Welcome.Awesome
 Post Reply Post Reply