Post Date: 2018-04-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Are you ready for higher MSRP GPU's?!
    Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 9:44am
Of course, being the addict that I am, I'm excited for the new GTX 2000 series GPU's.  It's basically been confirmed that Nvidia's next generation of cards will in fact have GDDR6 (This is great people... TL;DR about GDDR6.. essentially larger vram modules with 8-16GB vram modules confirmed from one of the three Major memory makers). 

Problem - GDDR6 will be more expensive, thus the MSRP of the cards will go up. 

Now I have no idea what the MSRP's will be, but if we look at today's pricing of say a 1080 - $550 (this is after the price drop from the Ti release, but let's say this was launch price), we can most likely expect something like a $600-$650 MSRP on launch.

GTX 1080 Ti - $700 MSRP.  Could easily be something like $800+ MSRP. 

Now don't start talking about how we are use to this because of mining farms driving the prices up.  I'm referring to MSRP.  If you want to take mining prices into considering.  Imagine today's prices (even though they are starting to drop finally [again]), and tack on another $100+.

So let's get ready for those nearly $500 GTX 2070 cards!.  GTX 2060's ~$450... yeah, ok. -_-

I need to win the lottery.  I can no longer afford to keep up with current gen hardware.

Edited by Meller - 05 Apr 2018 at 9:45am
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Meller

I need to win the lottery.  I can no longer afford to keep up with current gen hardware.

Geez Meller, sorry to hear.  I was looking forward to you buying me a couple of the new cards.    Hahaha

Thanks for the info on new gen cards.    Big%20Smile
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 11:43am
I purposely skipped this generation of video cards (running x3 980TIs) for the 2000 series and am waiting for the better 4K monitors to come out too. It looks like I'll be going single card if that's the prices. Although, at this point, SLI is starting to become a dinosaur...

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 07 Apr 2018 at 11:44am
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Dax Doomslayer

I purposely skipped this generation of video cards (running x3 980TIs) for the 2000 series and am waiting for the better 4K monitors to come out too. It looks like I'll be going single card if that's the prices. Although, at this point, SLI is starting to become a dinosaur...

I was hoping to wait it out, but a insta-dead GPU thought otherwise. LOL
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 3:12pm
Well that definitely stinks. Technology is great when it works but when it doesn't cooperate it is never fun!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 3:16am
Tidgxor's gpu died because of the cold climate. Confused%20Wink

I am also waiting for the next gen cards. I have the 980 (x4, one died a year ago but like Meller told me when I ordered it, that 4th card does almost next to nothing so....Chilling) Can't wait for the new ones.Excited
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 11:33am
@hoserator: I'd really be interested in your take on a quad or triple GPU experience. Back in the day of 1 GB GDDR 3, I could see it for some of those games like Metro 2033 which were a mess of poor optimization.

Clearly a lot of people either see much better than I, or are picky as all heck, and can't stand missing that gnat buzzing around 15 yards away and all those blades of grass you don't see with settings turned down.

But what about all that data on folks can't really see much above 60fps and so forth? Is it really worth chasing 144 fps if the perceptability diminishes with every extra frame over 60...or 70...or...? We watch movies and TV at 24 fps, but I haven't heard anyone say it's unwatchable yet.

Seriously, I'm just asking.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 1:55pm
@Cretae, no worries.

I came from 2x295s and seriously, performance wise and from what I have experienced and see (they run  1080/60 and 1440/144 monitors), I  could have done without a fourth and maybe even a third card. That said........Excited they sure look awesome. LOL
I have been a faithful user of sli  and must be very lucky because when people complain about the hassles of multi gpu setups, I wonder what they mean. I will not need two of whatever comes out next but, hey. why not.Wink Three, probably not.Disappointed And four definitely not.Hahaha

And yes, I have to see the ants crawling around the grass under the tank threads. Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 08 Apr 2018 at 1:59pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 3:22pm
I think the real benefit (for now anyway until the GPUs get more 'beefy') is trying to go to 4K at good frame rates. Right now we're still not there with a single card. It's coming though...Maybe this next gen card will do it.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 8:25am
hoserator! I'm happy to hear your experience with SLI has been hassle free. Too much $$ to spend and not get what you're looking for. Good goin'!

@Dax: the progress from recent generation upgrades certainly looks like you're right. I hope the prices moderate at the same time so we can all get to 4k gaming and live happier, more idyllic lives in single card bliss!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 2:42pm
 LOLLOL Who said I didn't get what I was looking for? Big%20Smile I absolutely love my system and don't think I will ever get tired of looking at it. Strong
Oh, and it runs great also.LOL

Edited by hoserator - 09 Apr 2018 at 2:55pm
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Originally posted by Meller

Geez Meller, sorry to hear.  I was looking forward to you buying me a couple of the new cards.    Hahaha

Thanks for the info on new gen cards.    Big%20Smile

You and I both know that I'm all talk right now.  Because as soon as the "2080"s drop, I'll be buying at least two.  And when the Ti variant drops (if there is one), I'll be putting the 2080's in one of my other PC's and upgrading.

I'm an addict.  We know this.  I'm not proud of it.  But I have a problem.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 4:16pm

I think the real benefit (for now anyway until the GPUs get more 'beefy') is trying to go to 4K at good frame rates. Right now we're still not there with a single card. It's coming though...Maybe this next gen card will do it.

A single GTX 1080 Ti can, for the most part, get you 60 FPS at 4k.  You may not be able to have everything maxed out, but most AAA titles you can have everything set to "high".

People just have trouble with 60 FPS once they've had 144 FPS.  We're spoiled.  But I think within the next couple of generations we'll be having 4k at high FPS.

Problem is, 4k might be a dead area.  We might be skipping it and going straight to the next resolution point (8k maybe... 5k won't happen, no matter how hard Apple tries).  Manufacturing of 4k HDR and 4k 144hz monitors took too long.  And the demand for GPU's to be able to do high refresh rate 4k gaming never took off in the development sector.  Players just want 1440p 144hz.  So.. yea 4k could possibly be a dead market.  But who knows.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 4:16pm
Lol Meller! I'll be waiting for the TI version then I'll take the leap. Pricing will dictate if it's one or two for me...
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 11:53am

Lol Meller! I'll be waiting for the TI version then I'll take the leap. Pricing will dictate if it's one or two for me...

I'm really curious about pricing.  I mean odds are, it'll be more expensive this time around.  But can they at least show us 35% increase in performance this time?

With those 200hz HDR Ultra wides, and 4k 144hz monitors coming out... It'd be nice if I could game at 3440x1440p with 144+ FPS.

I doubt it'll happen, but I can still dream.  We need AMD to put some pressure on Nvidia like they did Intel. 
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 12:50pm
Yeah - I've been holding out waiting for the 'next gen' monitors and they've been taking forever to arrive. However, I can wait for them and the 2000 NVIDIA cards at this point I guess. I totally agree about AMD needing to step up in the high end video card market. I actually like AMD as a company better but they are lacking for high end cards and sadly, it's not looking good in the near future from what I've read anyway...
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 5:26am
Those estimates seemed pretty cheap. I just paid 930 for a 1080 ti and the price jumped to 1200 2 days later.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Alci

Those estimates seemed pretty cheap. I just paid 930 for a 1080 ti and the price jumped to 1200 2 days later.

You must have missed the part where I said I'm purely talking about MSRP, not pricing influx from GPU based crypto-currency mining.

And why would you pay $930 for a 1080 Ti.  FE's are in stock at nvidia very often for $699.99.  Or you can buy BNIB for < $900 on reddit. 

You have to stay off ebay when looking for cards.  They still at the $1,200 price point because of fee's and people just flipping.  The only way I would consider $930 an ok price in today's market for a 1080 Ti is if it's something like an EVGA Kingpin or any manufactures highest end water cooled card (not AIO cooled cards, but cards that come with FC water blocks preinstalled.)  But we digress.

Back on point.  Let's say pricing stays linear.  If the MSRP were go to up by $100.  Then in today's market, your xx80 Ti would have cost you $1030 after dropping from $1300.  $100 more.  And that's just me pulling a price increase price point out of my ass.  I don't know what the increase will be.  I just know they are already saying it's going to happen due to memory manufacturing.

Edited by Meller - 12 Apr 2018 at 11:40am
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 12:35pm
Ahh, that old adage; if you want to play, you gotta pay, is so true. Disappointed That said, let's play...Excited
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 7:06am
I was on Nvidia's e-mail list for months waiting for a notification on in stock 1080 tis. Never got it. Very skeptical about buying expensive items from anything but reputable dealers via internet. I'd rather overpay than have the chance to have a bad experience.

I tried to wait for a deal with my 780 ti SLI setup, but it became increasingly difficult and when I could only play assassins creed origins at low setting that was it.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 4:31pm
1.) Email notifications are bleh.  use nowinstock's text/sms notifications for instant notifications.
2.) Paypal has buyers protection.  Redder has people with hundreds of verified positive trades, and manufactures honor warranties on the card not the original buyer. 
3.)  Most "reputable" retailers are doing massive mark ups.  Newegg, etc are still in the $700-$800 range.  Buying from a random third party reseller on a market place platform is the exact same thing as buying from a seller on Ebay. ;)

The more you know.

And yes, let's play!
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 6:49am
So a new leak says the GT104 chip (the next 1180/2080 whatever naming they go with) looks to be slated for release some time in or right after July.  People are speculating a Computex  announcement.

Leaks also are saying the xx80 GPU will be $699 and on par with the GTX Titan Xp.  We might not have a pricing increase after all, as the 1080 was originally $699, which dropped and the Ti took it's pricing place.

So that's good new.  Assuming it's true.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 8:29am
Like the sound of all that!

Thanks for this thread.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:09am
How long before the crypto-currency miners jack the prices of the new cards over $2k?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 10:24am
Well that is certainly good news to hear!! I'm interested to see if in case that's the fact.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 3:40am
 AwesomeThanks Meller.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 5:58am
Good info to have. I'm looking a potential upgrade in early Fall, so this is timely. Big%20Smile
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 8:30am
Yeah - I think I'll wait for the TI version to drop and then upgrade. That's what I've been thinking. Not sure if I'll do SLI this time (definitely not x3 SLI like I have now)...
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 5:03pm
I'd like to change now but everything is working at max so I am also waiting for the next gen and bypass the 10xx. That forecast works fine. And like Dax Doomslayer, I won't do what I have now (4x sli) but will sli. Last push with the old X-99 platform. Big%20Smile
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Snaike

How long before the crypto-currency miners jack the prices of the new cards over $2k?

Well supposedly Nvidia and AMD are both planning on drop by 40% in GPU shipments over the next two months due to crypto-currency decline.  Which means pricing should be dropping over the next two months. 

But, Bitcoin is on the bounce back.  Bitcoin doesn't use GPU processing for mining, like Eth does.  But confidence in bitcoin increases confidence alt coins so..

Either way, if you're wanting to buy a GPU... right now it might be best to plan on buying one May/June.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
Bensonc120 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bensonc120 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:20pm
Good call Meller! On Amazon the prices for 1080 ti cards have dropped. I got the EVGA 1080 ti for $769 and I see an MSI 1080 ti for $799. This might be a great time to pick up a few cards if the new 1180s might be founder's edition only for a while.
Thermaltake Core
Intel Core i5-10400
MSI Z490
Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200mhz
Samsung M.2 SSD EVO 970 1TB
Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti
Asus PG278QR Monitor
Tomsal View Drop Down

Quote Tomsal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2018 at 6:23pm
So my current system which is on its last legs and one of the reason I chimed in is its the GPU that is one of the components acting up its an EVGA GTX 980. (Keep in mind its not JUST the GPU...I think that's just one of the problem areas) . Anyway My new DS PC will come with a GTX 1080. I wish I had deeper pockets but the current config I got was $3k and that is already on my outer limits so I drooled over so badly wanting to pick a 1080 ti but I just couldn't....probably won't see a huge gain over my GTX 980 but the benches I did read still show the 1080 is STILL an improvement. That's gonna have to be good enough until I find a pound of hundred dollar bills or something. :)

Edited by Tomsal - 28 May 2018 at 6:25pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:35am
The GTX 1080 KILLS the 980! I've seen scores from Fire Strike Ultra that has the 1080 over 48% higher. Also frame rates at 4K that run 30-50% higher on a variety of games. For 1440p gaming at 144 Hz, that's the card you want.

At 4K, the next gen top card should kill the 1080 Ti, which struggles. the 1080 Ti is only for the most impatient that want "pretty good" performance at 4K. Total waste of $ otherwise.
 Post Reply Post Reply