Post Date: 2018-12-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with new DS system config again
    Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 7:38am
Dear Configuration Gurus,
I have returned (after some life happened this summer) to look for guidance on purchasing a new DS system. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

KKrusher

Budget:
Trying to stay close to $4000 but flexible

Expectations:
I want a system to last a long time. Current DS rig is 8 years old. Can do some upgrading in the future but my skill is not advanced.

Usage:
Gaming - currently on 1080p monitor but upgrading to 2K monitor at least
Photo and video editing, web design, image design (not intensive)

Special Needs:
Would like OS and games on fastest harddrive possible without breaking budget. Have over 500GB of games on current system without culling the herd. Current 125GB SSD and 1TB HDD are getting pretty full. Would like space for back-ups and system images onboard.
Not comfortable with liquid cooling. Would prefer Air. No interest in overclocking if not needed. But flexible. Would like my case fans maximized so suggestions there appreciated.

Saved Ticket #: 2130224

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: External USB - Blu-Ray Writer & Player (Blu-Ray 6x) & DVD/CD Writer
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
RAID Config: - No Thanks RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections) Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High-Performance Copper Heat Pipe Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: CM Storm Devastator 3 Bundle (RGB) (Gaming Keyboard & Gaming Mouse)
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:12pm
Instead of getting 2x 512 Gb 970 Pro M.2 SSDs, I would get a single M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO unless there's a particular reason you need to have 2 separate smaller ones. If you were considering using one of them for backups, it might be a bit of a waste, depending on how frequently you need to make backups/system images, data size, etc. IMO, I would use the 1 TB SSD for both the OS and games and store the photos, videos, etc., on the mechanical drive. For backups/system images, I would use a portable drive that only needs to be connected to the system when they're being done. This way in the event that any kind of malware gets on your system, you have a separate backup to fall back on that isn't continually connected to your system and more prone to corruption. However, if you insist on having a dedicated drive on your system for backups in the absence of an external backup, I would only leave that particular drive "thawed"(when data can be modified on it) only when scheduled backups are being done.

I'm not a fan(no pun intended) of liquid cooling either, but for the i9, I wouldn't get anything below that(in price and performance) of a Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler in their configurator. They cool better than the air cooling options that are offered here, are fully sealed, and do not require maintenance(coolant change) like the custom water loop systems do. You don't need anything big or fancy since, as you said, you're not interested on OC'ing.

For the RTX 2080, that should be more than enough for 1440p resolution, but if you intend to use the raytracing feature in games that offer it, you probably won't be able to use high/ultra settings for that particular feature at this point in time. However, you should be able to run pretty much everything else on high/ultra settings.

$4048 for your current config.
$3900 if you replace the two 512GB Samsung 970 PROs with a single 1TB Samsung 970 EVO.
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:21am
I went with the 2x512GB 970 Pro M.2 SSDs as they were slightly cheaper than 1 1TB 970 Pro M.2 SSDs. Not sure why that is the case. The 1TB 970 Evo M.2 SSD is cheaper than the pair but I thought the Pro has both better performance and warranty. I was thinking 1 M.2 SSD for OS and software, 1 M.2 SSD for games and HDD for pictures, vids, backups. I totally see you point on external for backups and images and could go that direction for sure.

I will look more into the liquid cooling. Still on the fence about that. I was thinking the RTX 2080 maxs out my gaming for the forceable future. I am okay with dialing back settings when needed as games improve.

I really appreciate the suggestions. Any more from the crowd?

KKrusher
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:05am
The 970 EVO carries a 5 year warranty like the PRO. Although you are right about the performance difference, the fact is you would never notice it in use. The 970 PRO is technically not recommended by Samsung for general consumer use; that's what the EVO line is for. The 1TB 970 EVO is on a special for a substantial savings for you.

What I have found is that the 500GB I have on my 970 EVO is way more than I need, but if I only had 500GB for games, it wouldn't be enough! I have a 1TB Samsung SATA SSD for my games, and it's more than half full already. I also like the idea of being able to fit all my games and mods on the same drive. Personally, I really like the idea of a 1TB NVMe for primary drive. You can always partition it to keep the games separate from OS and apps. There are also other ways to combine two NVMe's for your needs at a reasonable cost.

You could also save a bit on the power supply, getting the 750W. It has about 200-250 W of overhead in reserve. The AIO coolers are safe, and have non-conductive coolant if disaster ever happens. Get one of the Corsairs and you'll have the "ever popular" 5 year warranty. I've never seen anyone report a leak.

The RTX 2080 will max you out at 1440p for the life of your rig most likely. What Acetylide was saying is that ray tracing capability is just coming on, and is not quite as powerful as it will likely be next gen. Even the 2080 Ti struggles with frame rates with ray tracing enabled at high settings. The okay news is that there is a mere handful of games that employ it (10 or so, most notably Battlefield V), and the enhancements from it are fleeting and often overlooked while you game. Not yet the "thing" you want to build around.

Hope it helps.
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:13am
Thanks for all the input so far. This has been extremely helpful. So I put together a new configuration for people to review - please see below. I guess I still have some lingering questions.

1) The 1TB 970 EVO should be enough for my OS and software but it will be well used almost immediately. If I estimate my current game library and used software, on top of windows, I think I could easily take up 500-600GB that I would want on the SSD. Is this enough storage or should I plan on buying more down the road like a SATA SSD?
2) I have selected a Cosair liquid cooling system. Where does the radiator get mounted on the Velox case?
3) Are the fans maxed out in the Velox case or do I need to order more or different fans?

Thanks in advance,

KKrusher

Here is the new config:

Configuration Code: 2134125
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,990.00

Specifications:
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Optical Drive: External USB - Blu-Ray Writer & Player (Blu-Ray 6x) & DVD/CD Writer
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 8GB (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 9:37am
That build looks good to me.  Strong
For storage I would think you have plenty but that is definitely a question only you can answer.

The rad will mount on the front.

The stock fans will get the job done.  If you want a potentially quieter and more adjustable option with adjustable RGB lighting, the Corsair ML Pro fans are great.  I have them in my Lumos and they are dead quiet, set to Quiet, cool great and the lighting looks good. But its another $200. 

Nor sure we mentioned it before, but the Velox has right side window and the Lumos a left facing window.   Not sure your desk setup has a preference.  

Big%20Smile 

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:15pm
Very good. If you "cull the herd" of games you've played, the 400 GB left on that NVMe will last you longer than you might think. Someday down the road, you pick up a SATA SSD when you need it. Game files aren't going to seem slow loading from a SATA drive if you need it for that.

The fan question is up to you. Upgraded fans aren't required, and I'm not sure what you'd get out of RGB colors when the radiator is right up front like bprat22 said.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 1:56am
With the rad mounted up front, the RGB fans are still used, replacing the 3x stock fans and then the rad mounted on them.   The rad will have fans in push/pull configuration, the RGB outboard and the rad fans inboard.   That’s how it was done with my Lumos and might be the same for Velox.

KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 10:11am
Thanks everyone for the additional information. Actually my computer desk has the option of putting the PC on the right or the left! I can pick and choose. I like the Velox over the Lumos but could maybe go either way.
If the radiator is mounted in the front, do they use the stock fans to other fan locations to increase air flow (i.e. top)? Or am I thinking about this incorrectly?

KK
ThePinkGoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 10:16am
No need for 32GB of ram if you're playing games. You will never bust past needing 8GB of ram. Adding 16 GB of ram would be perfect.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by ThePinkGoat

No need for 32GB of ram if you're playing games. You will never bust past needing 8GB of ram. Adding 16 GB of ram would be perfect.

True enough. But OP does photo and video editing, web design and image design, and he wants to be set well into the future. He'll make some good use of the extra RAM.
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 10:14am
It is funny on the subject of RAM. When I bought my first DS system 8 years ago, I got 6GB of RAM. People said that was probably overkill. I was told 2GB was fine and that I will never need much past 4GB for gaming. Well here we are 8 years later and I am very limited by 6GB in gaming and some of the applications that Cretae mentioned. Looking at most of the games I am looking forward to in 2019 they are estimating 8GB RAM minimum. RAM memory need does nothing but go up! So my thinking is buy it now and be set for the long haul.

KK
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 1:52pm
Normally, I don't recommend beyond 16GB because it's double what you need for gaming right now and should be quite enough well into the future. However, when someone has other RAM intensive uses in mind, and the budget allows, it's not a bad idea to go ahead and get what will carry you a long way and enhance your experience. So, it's all good.   
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 10:19am
I am pretty cool with the last configuration showing but I am still stuck on storage. I can see the 1TB 970 EVO and 2 TB HDD working for me but I am still a little worried that I might start off with the EVO being more than 50% full. The 2TB EVO adds a lot of cost to the config. I was thinking I could two M2 SSDs: a 250GB 970 EVO for the OS and some software and the 1TB 970 EVO for all the fun stuff. This does not add too much to the config. Trying to get the most out of the extra space without adding too much money. And if I ever have a reason to reload windows in the future it keeps issues to a minimum. What do people think?

KK
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 12:52pm
FWIW, I've been running a 500GB SSD as my boot drive with a 1TB HDD on E: for all games and data and even though I've had to uninstall some games when they take up too much room for how often I play them, ditto stuff that just accumulates on the C: drive where Windows and all other utilities and system stuff live, I've never had a crisis with storage, even with 25 Steam games and another 7 or so non-Steam games on E: I have had no problems with game performance either, although I realise that some types of games, most of which I don't play, benefit from faster load times when launched from an SSD.

Having said that, I am waiting for a new DS build which simply doubles that formula: 1TB SSD on C: and 2TB HDD as E: Because I play flight sims in multiplayer, everybody in the DCS community tells me that the game benefits from being installed on an SSD so I might make an exception to my rule and put DCS World and all its big modules (aircraft, scenery, etc.) on the SSD. My feeling is that if I am in danger of over-filling either of these drives, my PC housekeeping is not up to scratch but that's just me.

Edited by Bahger - 12 Dec 2018 at 12:53pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 1:36pm
@KK: Nothing wrong with your thinking. If you don't have a bunch of productivity and business type apps, keeping the primary OS drive somewhat lean and mean makes a lot of sense. For $135, you get all the use of that TB secondary for other things. Works for me if it works for you.
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 11:55am
Thanks guys for the continued input. I worked up another config using the 3 drive suggestion from my last post. I can run the two M2 drives on this motherboard at their maximum capacity, is that right? The config would look like this:

Configuration Code: 2139511
Total Price with Instant Savings: $4,125.00

Specifications:
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (250GB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

This is only a small increase in price over the last build and gives me good organization / space for what I think is good for the long run.
On the RAM conversation previously, I looked up a couple of games I am interested in buying in the coming year. Recommended RAM specs for those games range from 8GB-16GB. One of my 3D rendering programs will be putting out a new version next year which recommends 16-32GB of RAM. While it sounds like 16GB RAM will work, it sounds like it will not work in the long haul.

Let me know your thoughts on the above build with the SSD/HDD loadout. I could easily go back to the 2 drive load out as well.

KKrusher
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 2:52pm
I think it's what you wanted. If you feel good about saving a few bucks, get the 750W power supply instead. If not, it's a very fine build.
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 8:21am
Good Morning Everyone! I did some more checking on my config and made a very important discovery. The Velox case which I really want will definitely not work in my current computer table - too tall! There will be zero air flow around the top of the case. So I am changing my build to the Lumos case. I also checked more on the media card reader and DVD burner. I can do better buying those separately (USB3 and more features for same price range) rather than getting them from DS.

So please check out my new build below. My question is now on the fan configuration. According to DS, the Lumos comes with 3 fans in the front. If I get the AIO Cosair cooler, how does that work? They put the radiator in the front or on top? If in the front, do they more the other fans to the top and back? I am confused about how to maximize the air movement.

Thanks for the continued input and information!
KKrusher

Configuration Code: 2162593
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,798.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (250GB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 5:37am
Hopefully, bprat22 will come along to clarify, as he recently bought a LUMOS. (And he usually just KNOWS, anyway!) My understanding is they do put the rad in the front, but behind the case fans in a "push/pull" configuration. IDK how that looks exactly, but you may wish to request they mount the rad at the top in the build comments. If they can't for some reason, they'll get back to you. All else looks like a very strong system!

Merry Christmas!
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2019 at 11:03am
Hello again everyone!

I still have not pulled the trigger on a new computer (unfortunately "life" has been happening). In another forum thread, it was said that the Lumos is being discontinued at DS. Checking the configurator, I now have the option for choosing either the Lynx or the Vanquish case now (I cannot use the Velox as it is too tall for my computer desk space). So I have a number of questions:

1) Given my last configuration post, does either the Lynx or Vanquish have an advantage over the other? I would like to maximize cooling opportunities.

2) What are the optimal fan configurations if I want to do liquid cooling? Which Cosair liquid coolers would I use in each case and where should the radiator be mounted. It looks likes one of these two cases cannot top mount.

3) What size radiator for an AIO cooling solution would be best in each case?

Let me know your thoughts and I will put together a new config for review soon.

KK
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 6:29am
The Lynx photos clearly show an AIO cooler mounted with the radiator on the front, behind the case fans. There is a mesh type area at the top which may be able to accommodate the radiator instead. The Vanquish photos only show the air cooler that comes with all models, so it is unclear where they would prefer to mount a radiator.

I think either case could accommodate a top mounted rad, and I doubt if size would be a factor. As long as you had open space above your rig, I think a top-mount would be better. In the configurator, neither case prevents selection of either Corsair AIO, but I'm not sure you can rely on that.

It would seem for definite answers, you have to ask DS directly. Though a might cumbersome, you will get an expert and knowledgeable reply, perhaps with options for you to consider.

Sorry not to do better, but the Lynx is brand new, and not many have custom built into a Vanquish case.
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 6:50am
Good Morning Everyone,
I noticed that pricing came down on several components so I put together another build for your review. Instead of the Lumos, which I like except for all the glass, I put one together with the Lynx, which I like the look of. I also like the Vanquish case but it still has a lot of glass. Anyway, please check out the build below. I went a little overboard everywhere except the GPU as I will probably update that first. I would love input on the storage (I went with 3 disks - system/software; games; backups/big files/data) and cooling options.
My primary uses are heavy gaming, video and picture editing, web art (some 3D), web site design and general office applications.
If anyone has gotten the Lynx recently, I would love to hear your thoughts on the case.

Configuration Code: 2297769
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,459.00

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=2297769

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 8GB (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i PRO - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Thanks everyone. Sorry for being so indecisive but I think I am really close to pulling the trigger! Great community here to help out.

KKrusher
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 6:41am
I like it very much for you. The only little niggle is that I would prefer the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon. That Asus board is just a mite low-end for the rest of your parts. I prefer MSI mostly for better customer service should you ever need it. (Which is quite rare.) Up to you.

The choice of the 2070 is a good way to go. It is the sweet spot for 2K gaming without spending extra, and I am a BIG fan of upgrading when the need and the tech require it. So many, it seems, want to spend hundreds extra for no gain initially. Then they're kind of in a bind when the tech trashes their overkill card near the price point of the more correct card they didn't buy.

Mind or don't my niggle...BUY IT.

Edited by Cretae - 10 Mar 2019 at 6:41am
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 4:10pm
Good Evening Everyone! After some chatting with DS to answer some questions, I think I am going with the config outlined below. I am staying with the Lynx case - I like its look, it handles cooling well and not a ton of glass. It cannot mount a radiator on top but there is a sizeable vent there for air flow. Sticking with the H100i to keep the 3 front fan configuration for bringing in plenty of air. Changed the motherboard to the MSI...why skimp there. Kept the 3 drives as I want to maximize storage and speed for games. Kept to the RTX2070 as all the reviews and benchmarks I read indicate this is the place to be. I am not buying a 4K psycho monitor so no reason to go crazy on a video card I will be upgrading in a couple of years. How does this look guys? Final thoughts?

KK

Configuration Code: 2317324
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,521.00

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)

Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 8GB (VR Ready)

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i PRO - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Keyboard: Digital Storm MasterKeys Lite Bundle (RGB) Keyboard & Mouse
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 5:23am
I'm on board. Very good setup. You've been very patient, now let the excitement begin!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:19am

AwesomeThe waiting begins. Soon you will be rocking with that baby. Big%20Smile
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 5:14pm
I did it! Order placed this afternoon!!! Let the waiting begin!!!

Thanks to everyone here and at DS for their help so far. I will post updates as I get them!

EDIT 3/26/19 - Officially in Stage 1 now!

KK

Edited by KKrusher - 26 Mar 2019 at 10:19am
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 5:19pm
Making good progress on my order! Getting excited!

Order placed: 3/25/19
Stage 1: 3/26/19
Stage 2: 4/10/19
Stage 3: 4/11/19

Going to start looking a new monitors for this beast. Thinking 27" 2K monitor so any suggestions would be appreciated. I will keep everyone posted!

KK
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 3:38am

KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 11:18am
Okay here is what I am looking at for monitors for my new system. My GPU is an RTX2070 so I am interested in best monitor for gaming and graphics without going crazy. I am currently using an ancient LG 24" monitor (10 years old).

All of these choices are 27", QHD, 165HZ, G-Sync. Pricing is online and sale pricing.

1) ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q ($699)
2) ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR ($599)
3) ACER Predator XB271HU ($599)

I know there are FreeSync monitors that will work with Nvidia cards but I have done any research on them yet.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks in advance!

KK
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:29pm
I'm not sure I would risk buying a FreeSync monitor when G-Sync is the system designed to work with nVidia cards. I'm running a G-Sync monitor with my 2080 card and gaming performance is outstanding. It's difficult to determine just how much of that is directly attributable to G-Sync but it seems to me that if you are a gamer with a high-end nVidia card, it makes sense to get a G-Sync enabled monitor; I'm glad I did.
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:33pm
oh boy...I can barely type I am so excited! I got some e-mails from Digital Storm today!

Stage 4: 4/15/19
Stage 5: 4/15/19   

I have so much to do to get ready!!!

KK
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:04am
The Predator is in every respect the equivalent of the ROG PG279Q IMO. It's $100 cheaper and a bargain. I saw both over $700 just a year ago. That said, a couple of members have the PG279Q and are very high on it, but I don't think there was much of a price difference when they bought.

The PG278QR is a TN panel, and not in the running for that reason in my book.
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 11:15am
I have not seen the e-mail yet but according to my account...there has been progress!

Stage 4: 4/15/19
Stage 5: 4/15/19
Stage 6: 4/22/19   

I better get on ordering that monitor so it is here and waiting for the computer!

KK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>