FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will my old ram work with my new mobo and cpu?

Post Date: 2020-02-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
johndeniel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Will my old ram work with my new mobo and cpu?
    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 11:22pm
So I recently bought a z390-e gaming motherboard with an intel i7 9700k processor. I'm planning on putting them on my case replacing my old ones except for the ram. My current ram is a 8gb ddr4 (2x4) 2133mhz. So I was just wondering if my old ram will work with my new mobo and cpu combo or should i just buy a new one? Thanks in advance
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 12:15am
Your old DDR4 2100 MHz RAM is compatible with the Z390 mobos and i7-9700K CPU, but much slower speed than the more current 3000 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro or 3200 MHZ Corsair Dominator Pro...and you would not mix them.   Good news is that RAM prices are very low, and while 16 GB is all that’s required for gaming...many of us on the forum have gone with 32 GB for other uses just because of the great RAM prices right now.   Grab some new RAM.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 12:57am
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Your old DDR4 2100 MHz RAM is compatible with the Z390 mobos and i7-9700K CPU, but much slower speed than the more current 3000 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro or 3200 MHZ Corsair Dominator Pro...and you would not mix them.   Good news is that RAM prices are very low, and while 16 GB is all that’s required for gaming...many of us on the forum have gone with 32 GB for other uses just because of the great RAM prices right now.   Grab some new RAM.
I'm afraid I'm on a tight budget right now and I'd prolly be able to buy the ram by the end of this month :( So you sure I can still use my current ram? It's an adata technology consumer 8gb ram (2x4) 2133mhz unbuffered memory
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 5:46am
Long as it's DDR4 and matched (with each other), it's okay.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 7:42am
And lastly I have a i7 9700k. My current gpu is 1060 6gb. What's the bottleneck like?
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 3:46pm
If budget is tight the GTX 1060 6GB will still get you by for a little while, but with frame rates in 40-50ish range with lowered game settings.   Once you can upgrade the GPU to a current RTX card you should really see the gaming benefits.    
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 5:22am
Long as you're on a 1080p monitor, it's fine. It will perform just like it has been for you. IDK why HB thinks it's going to perform at a low end.Let me just deliver this random quote from when the card came out:

"GTX 1060 - Is great for current 1080p gaming at 60Hz. It will max out most games but you will probably have to turn off features like "hairworks". Other than that, the benchmarks for the GPU look good."

Typical of reviews for the card.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Long as you're on a 1080p monitor, it's fine. It will perform just like it has been for you. IDK why HB thinks it's going to perform at a low end.Let me just deliver this random quote from when the card came out:

"GTX 1060 - Is great for current 1080p gaming at 60Hz. It will max out most games but you will probably have to turn off features like "hairworks". Other than that, the benchmarks for the GPU look good."

Typical of reviews for the card.

Hello so it's me again! Just wanna make sure before I install it. So I will be fine for a while with the 9700k and 1060 6gb right? What about the performance that I get now versus the performance after I install it? Lags, stutters, anything that I should be wary of?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 5:25am
NO.
 Post Reply Post Reply