FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

should i buy from ds?

Post Date: 2009-08-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
itsjustwood View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote itsjustwood Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: should i buy from ds?
    Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 8:51pm
I've really enjoyed the help i've received from everyone so far in the forums and with ds...my question is why some of the other places are a little cheaper than ds??? Like cyberpowerpc,ibuypower and alienware...just wondering...thanks guys...              p.s. - has anyone ever purchased from any of these companys.
computer noobologist
modern_outlaw76 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote modern_outlaw76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 9:00pm
got to - Outside Link Removed -  and read the reviews of the 3 companies. that should help you decide. i have had my machine for about 7 months now. i had a issue that i needed to have a part replaced. i called ds. they sent me one right out it was at my door in 3 days. i replaced the old one and sent the bad one back. no ??? asked. hands down the best customer service that i have ever had to deal with. to me that is well worth the extra $$$ 

Edited by modern_outlaw76 - 26 Aug 2009 at 9:02pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 9:09pm
The other places use used parts or take shortcuts and their parts are not the same quality as DS.

Quote itsjustwood Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 9:52pm
sweet beans guys thanks for the input
computer noobologist
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 11:18pm
Good luck and I hope you buy from the right company, (DS). Ermm

Quote itsjustwood Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 11:38pm
yeah guys its looking that way...i've been on the bbb checking out the companies and ds is top notch all the way Angry
computer noobologist
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 2:56am
go read the other companys forums
theyre a nightmare, people are seriously pissed at the companys and get no after purchase tech support

aceboy44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote aceboy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 4:35am
Who needs a tech support nowadays? If the system is working perfectly with no glitches or errors then you don't need support.
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 5:25am
yea because when your GPU dies and no1 contacts you back your gonna be a happy camper right?
stupid post
sjjohns23 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sjjohns23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 7:32am
Let's base all our expectations on aceboy44's one Acer laptop going forward.  He had one laptop GPU from a crap company (Acer) that lasted 3 years, therefore, all laptop GPU's should last 3+ years.  The logic is astounding and mind bogglingly simple.  Why didn't we think of that? 

Maybe because it's hogwash.  The simple fact is no matter how good the company and the parts sometimes things go wrong or parts fail.  When things do go wrong or parts break you want to have a company that you can rely on that you know will take care of you and back you up.  DSO is a company that you can rely on to take care of you.  Good luck getting some of those other guys to take care of you in a timely fashion or at all.   
sirsiddius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sirsiddius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 10:22am
acerboy44 why don't you just go ahead and get yourself a eee pc those things break after a million years, and with the atom cpu you might even be able to play some pac-man or tetris.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 8:06pm
I have had my laptops from different places also, my dell dies after a year, I had an HP that sucked, my Sony was a pain to be honest. all and all my dell I have to say was the best one as far as lasting (after they gave me a new one) and headaches.

but those were your experiences aceboy44 and these are mine, as you see we have different experiences about the same companies, but mine or your experiences don't' set the precedent for how good a company is, we need to look at a large group and see what their average results are.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 9:16pm
I do want to say that, now a days, computer components fail at a higher rate because they are running faster and hotter. They are also manufactured in more compact processes which increase the likelihood of failure down the road.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 9:22pm
True specially the high-end parts.
Elmpe View Drop Down

Quote Elmpe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2009 at 8:12am

4 years ago my daughter purchased a pc from one of the "less expensive" companies listed in your post.   It worked fine for 6 weeks then began to have real problems.   This was going to be her college computer and school was about to start. 

After much time and frustration I figured out on my own that her "new" hard drive had failed.  I did discover one helpful person in their tech support who worked the night shift.  If you called at 4 am you could get through and speak with him.  He did send me a replacement hard drive eventually.

Compare that with my experience with Digital Storm.  There was a problem (partly my fault) but DS paid to have my computer returned and fixed.  It works flawlessly.  You can check out my post in this forum about it.

Great support, great company.

Digital Storm is worth it.
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 1:18am
Gateway has lasted quite long for me, 4 years and only the CFLs (or whatever) in the monitor went out, laptop is still working great with an external monitor.  Second Gateway laptop (cheapo $400 one) has lasted ~2.5 years so far, still working great.

I think the reason that parts have a higher failure rate over time is due to that stupid RoHS spec that all companies are implementing, as well as the compactness, cheapness, and the heat most components produce today.
 Post Reply Post Reply