Post Date: 2009-09-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
notalent View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote notalent Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Asetek LCLC vs Frostbite
    Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 9:17pm
Alright here's my situation. I am looking at getting one of the prebuilds. I usually don't spend a lot of money on new computers, but that's mainly because I have bought Dells (mostly refurbished with no major issues). I figured that at least once I would like to spend a bit more on a very good AND upgradeable computer (unlike the Dell XPS 710 I have now with its BTX mobo. Dell!).

I live in Hawaii where it is quite warm most of the year and quite hot during the summer. Right now we are around 90 degrees F. And yes, I know that some places on the mainland get around 100. But those places are mostly dry heat. Whereas we have lots of humidity.

I would like to know if there would be a significant difference in temp's between the Asetek LCLC and the Frostbite. I never thought I would want a truly liquid cooled system until today when my case temp was nearly 60 degrees idle. If I go with the Frostbite, I would probably just customize it because I don't need dual GTX 295s in the Extreme 4 prebuild. I am using a 26" 1920x1200 monitor.

Do you think given an ambient room temp of 90+ degrees F that the Asetek wouldn't run as cool as the Frostbite or would it be best to go all out. I guess there's a saying with all of this...Go big or go home.

Thanks in advance

Edited by notalent - 02 Sep 2009 at 9:19pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 2:30am
Frostbite will always do better, IMHO go with frostbite.
notalent View Drop Down

Quote notalent Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 3:57am
Thanks for the reply.

I figured Frostbite will do best. It's 9:51PM right now and it's around 80 degrees F.

Hmmm...which video card should I get now? Is the GTX 295 overkill for 1920x1200? I would like to get Crysis/Crysis Warhead to run at least 24-30 fps. Or should I stick with something like the 275 or 285?
Roadkill331. View Drop Down

Quote Roadkill331. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 4:05am
Stick with two 275's and don't take the 285's because there is hardly any FPS gain over the 275 on your resolution. Also two 275's are better and cheaper than one 295.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 5:53am
2 x 275 is the way to go, the difference between 275 and 285 is 4 pfs and 2 x 275 will do better then 1 x 295.
poppawoof View Drop Down

Quote poppawoof Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 4:31pm
Not true on higher end games with higher resolutions monitors, dual 285's with out perform dual 275's. True, you will not notice a difference in a lot of games, but in the future who knows? Your here because you want a high end computer corvette versus civic.Shocked Bragging rights!Confused
Poppawoof
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 4:58pm
id rather have that few hundred dollars in my pocket than bragging rights
game developers cant keep up with GPU's as it is. Future proofing is almost pointless, because the technology is far ahead of most games. Maybe in 3 years they will start developing more demanding games (crysis 2-3)
notalent View Drop Down

Quote notalent Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 11:51pm
I'm still having a hard time deciding whether the extra cost of the Frostbite is truly worth it. Has anyone done any benchmark comparisons between the Asetek LCLC and the Frostbite ( or any equivalent water cooling setup)?

I would totally buy the Extreme 4 Frostbite deal if it had only 1 GTX 295.

DST, can you try to spec me out a Frostbite system that's under $3000. Also, given that, should I also water cool the GPUs? I don't mind having the fans on medium-to-high speed since I wear headphones all the time anyway.

I'm gonna check back later after work and see if I can come up with something. I'll post the ticket # and someone can tell me if it's worth it.

Thanks in advance
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2009 at 3:30am
Originally posted by poppawoof

Not true on higher end games with higher resolutions monitors, dual 285's with out perform dual 275's. True, you will not notice a difference in a lot of games, but in the future who knows? Your here because you want a high end computer corvette versus civic.Shocked Bragging rights!Confused

not correct, at 1900 x 1200 275 and 285 are like 4 fps apart and at higher res like 2560 x 1600 they are the same pretty much, below notice the difference between 275 and 285 at 1900 x 1200 and 2560 x 1600:

Call of Duty 5: World at War:

Crysis WARHEAD:

also at higher res you are talking sli and in sli the difference is even less and once you go ever 60fps it does not matter if you get more fps cause you won't even notice the difference, so for example if you get 65 fps with sli 275 and you get 72 fps with sli 285, you could never tell what is in teh system unless we told you, cause you could never tell the difference.
poppwoof View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote poppwoof Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 11:35pm
Do you have the Far CRY specs?
Poppawoof
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 2:49am
I will have to look, couple of games may have higher difference but 90% of the games the above results is what you will get.

Left for Dead;

poppwoof View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote poppwoof Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 3:33am
No argument there, but what if you overclock the two cards. But again, I've read al the reviews and I must admit the difference does not warrant the 100 difference in prices. I'm behind the times. My current video card and rig as lasted the lasst 6 years with no problems. I have a NVIDIA Golden Sample 5950 in it. 500 bucks in 2003. Can a AGP card be run in SLI mode? Reason I have two of these puppies.
Poppawoof
satsunada View Drop Down

Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 3:32pm

if you're referring to the physics card (i'm assuming that's what AGP means) then yes.. you can run SLI (2 cards at least) and the AGP ( as you called it ) on the LE board. Overclocking the vid card would be a bit pointless, minimum gain for lots of heat.

If knowledge is power and power corrupts, then total knowledge corrupts totally.
 Post Reply Post Reply