FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any Advice for Choosing a Gaming Keyboard/Mouse?

Post Date: 2009-10-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
B5GkarNarn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Any Advice for Choosing a Gaming Keyboard/Mouse?
    Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 8:42pm
Does anyone have any tips/advice for choosing a gaming keyboard & mouse?  I'm a noob to PC gaming but I plan on playing shooters (Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3) and MMOs (Champions Online, Star Trek Online). 
Prator View Drop Down

Quote Prator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 12:27pm
I use the Logitech G15. You'll see alot of reviews have this keyboard as well. Personally I've never had any good fortune with Microsoft keyboards and I have a bias against Razer products. I've had the G15 longer than any other board and it has yet to dissapoint me.

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Prator

I use the Logitech G15. You'll see alot of reviews have this keyboard as well. Personally I've never had any good fortune with Microsoft keyboards and I have a bias against Razer products. I've had the G15 longer than any other board and it has yet to dissapoint me.
Thanks for your reply, Prator!

1 Is the palm rest removable on the Logitech G15?

2) What are the dimensions of the Logitech G15?

3) I'm concerned about how well the Logitech G15 will perform in Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit edition because the new DS rig that I recently ordered has that OS.  The support section of Logitech's website does not mention the G15 in its list of products that are supported in Windows 7.  Here is the link:  http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_amr.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13985
Prator View Drop Down

Quote Prator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:00pm
B5,

1. The palm rest is removable. Lift the keyboard, bend 90 degrees and apply a moderate amount of pressure and it'll disconnect. No need to really worry about breaking anything as the attachments looks like this  .-.  with little tinny nubs on the sides of the connector.

2. Approximate Size is 19.5" x 10.5" x 2.5"

3. Don't be concerned with the incompatibility problem - most forum post are before the retail copy was released. I don't know why the list doesn't show this keyboard or its newer variants - too lazy to update the web page maybe or just pushing the G19 as it's on their? This is the link to this keyboards Windows 7 driver page. Just select 32 or 64 and you'll see the driver. If anything I'll let you know in 2 weeks or so when I get my rig :-)

4. If you want to be absolutely crazy you can buy the G19 Gaming Keyboard. I equate it to buy a 965 when all you really need is a 920 I7. You can change the keys led color, has a color LCD, and the ability to depress 5 buttons at once. Personally i think its overkill, but it's an option nevertheless. Full review found here

Keep in mind is these high end keyboards usually boil down to a personal preference. Any one of them could do the job adequately - Logitech or not.  

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Prator

B5,

1. The palm rest is removable. Lift the keyboard, bend 90 degrees and apply a moderate amount of pressure and it'll disconnect. No need to really worry about breaking anything as the attachments looks like this  .-.  with little tinny nubs on the sides of the connector.

2. Approximate Size is 19.5" x 10.5" x 2.5"

3. Don't be concerned with the incompatibility problem - most forum post are before the retail copy was released. I don't know why the list doesn't show this keyboard or its newer variants - too lazy to update the web page maybe or just pushing the G19 as it's on their? This is the link to this keyboards Windows 7 driver page. Just select 32 or 64 and you'll see the driver. If anything I'll let you know in 2 weeks or so when I get my rig :-)

4. If you want to be absolutely crazy you can buy the G19 Gaming Keyboard. I equate it to buy a 965 when all you really need is a 920 I7. You can change the keys led color, has a color LCD, and the ability to depress 5 buttons at once. Personally i think its overkill, but it's an option nevertheless. Full review found here

Keep in mind is these high end keyboards usually boil down to a personal preference. Any one of them could do the job adequately - Logitech or not.  
1) That is very good news because I already have a very comfortable palm rest that is part of the keyboard drawer that slides out from under my desk.  I'll definitely be removing the palm rest.

2) My keyboard drawer measures 20" X 8-3/8" so I'm limited to a keyboard that will fit into these dimensions.  So I'm especially concerned about that 10.5" that you mention.  If I remove the palm rest then what is the measurement?

3) Thanks for the link to the drivers.

4) The G19 is well out of my price range for a keyboard.  Even if I bought I bought it - my wife would kill me...LOL!!

Diesel View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 12:20am
B5GkarNarn,

Make sure you get the G15v2.  The v1 has blue lights and the V2 has many improvements and has orange/redish lights. 

You also asked about a good gaming mouse.  I use the G9 which caps out at 3200dpi and is adjustable on the fly if you wish.  I love it using it with my Steelseries Mousepad.  Glides like butter across the surface. 

Edited by Diesel - 02 Nov 2009 at 12:21am
HAF 932
2x GTX 760 2GB
i7 950
EVGA X58 3X SLI
12GB Corsair Dominator DHX
1000W Corsair HX
2-Samsung-EVO 500GB (Raid0)
Blu-Ray Player
SB X-Fi Tit Fat Champ
Noctua NH-U12P Air Cooler
Prator View Drop Down

Quote Prator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 1:10pm
Diesel is right make sure its the v2. Diesel said he uses the G9 is actually an excellent choice. I'm getting ready to upgrade to that mouse. I'm currently using the G5 v1 (good mouse - stupid single back button). If you don't want the G9 I would get the G5 v2 found here.

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Diesel

B5GkarNarn,

Make sure you get the G15v2.  The v1 has blue lights and the V2 has many improvements and has orange/redish lights. 

You also asked about a good gaming mouse.  I use the G9 which caps out at 3200dpi and is adjustable on the fly if you wish.  I love it using it with my Steelseries Mousepad.  Glides like butter across the surface. 
Thank you very much, Diesel!  I was already aware of the revision to the G15 but I appreciate that you mentioned it anyhow.  I'm glad that you mentioned a gaming mouse too & I'm going to look into the Logitech G9 further.  I also saw a mention of the G9x on Amazon.com but it costs approx. $30 more than the G9.  What added features does the G9x have that the G9 does not?
MyNameisBrian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MyNameisBrian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 6:42pm
G5 is a great mouse; I've used it for years.

I'm personally not a fan of the G9 and it's odd shape, but plenty of people have liked that one.
Diesel View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 8:45pm
If my memory recalls me correctly, the G9x goes all the way to 5000dpi.  I am a HARDCORE gamer but not pro.  I've got a friend that is pro and normally plays at 3200dpi sensitivity.  He stated that the G9x at that dpi is just to sensitive and he's been FPS'n for years and years.

True what Brian said.  I took up the G9, in lieu of the G5 which I had used for years.  It took me about 2 weeks to get use to it but once I did, I'm glad I went for it.  I've got large hands.   The G9 fits my hands much better than the G5 but the G5 is a very nice mouse as well. 

With a dpi resolution of 3200, you shouldn't have to pick up the mouse ever.  I play at 1900X1200 resolution so within moving the mouse to the left just a little over a half inch, the mouse pointer has moved entirely across the screen.  I can jump, do a 360 in the air before I hit the ground while playing FPS. 

Partner that up with a Steelseries mousepad, and you've got some nice responsiveness and glide.  The steelseries mousepads are like having your mouse sitting on an air hockey table is the best I can explain it.

HAF 932
2x GTX 760 2GB
i7 950
EVGA X58 3X SLI
12GB Corsair Dominator DHX
1000W Corsair HX
2-Samsung-EVO 500GB (Raid0)
Blu-Ray Player
SB X-Fi Tit Fat Champ
Noctua NH-U12P Air Cooler
titusmckieus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote titusmckieus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 1:19am
Everyone has made good points concerning the logitech mouse and keyboards. and I currently have the G15 and G5 mouse. but i must chime in here and say although i find the hardware aspect of Logitech very good. In the last year I have seen there customer support and software go to the wayside. Mostly concerning the Gaming mice. and when I decide to get new stuff I will be looking elsewhere.  I recommend you take a look around the Logitech forums and just see how others there like there Gaming Mouses and Keyboards. That way you can make an Informed decision. The only reason I keep this G5 around is because of my very large hands. I'm currently trying out the Razer Mamba, but am having a hard time getting used to it . Maybe because I have been using the G5 for so long, I don't Know? I tend to switch between Palming and clawing my mouse. the razer seams to be to low profile for me to palm it good and its to narrow to be able to claw it without getting fatigued also I found the software/utility buggy sometimes. I guess you can say I'm still on a quest for my ultimate gaming mouse. Love the Keyboard though. haven't had any issues with that so far.

Edited by titusmckieus - 03 Nov 2009 at 1:33am
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 12:20pm
I have the Logitech G15v2 also, as well as the v1 on my old rig. Logitech's LCD software works just fine on Win7 64-bit. Really convenient to monitor temps, FPS, etc, while in-game, and lots of games have plugins for the G15. I do wish they'd stayed with blue backlit keys, tho  :P

While I wouldn't consider a Razer keyboard, I have the Razer Death Adder mouse and like it a lot. I used their driver to adjust it's sensitivity, then uninstalled it and had MS download it's generic driver for it (Razer seems to have issues with drivers for their gear). I like it because the grip is kindof a soft rubber and very comfortable, and the mouse sensitivity is excellent.

Keyboards are one thing, but I'd suggest not buying a mouse through an online retailer, go to Best Buy or some computer store where you can get "hands on". Of course read the reviews for their meeces beforehand. I originally got a Razer Lachesis, which is supposed to be an "ambidextious" mouse, and within an hour realized I hated it. Returned it an hour later and got the Death Adder, which was cheaper but really love it.

Edited by Psimon - 03 Nov 2009 at 12:21pm
CM HAF 932*EVGA X58 3X SLI* i7920 4.0Ghz OC*6GB Mushkin RAM*EVGA Titan Sprclked*Samsung 850 Pro 1TB*Logitech Z5500*Razer Death Adder*Corsair 1000HX PSU*LG 34UM95 Monitor*Windows7Ult64
samiosam View Drop Down

Quote samiosam Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 3:07am
I have the G15 keyboard and G5, and I absolutely recommend them to you especially G5 if you play FPS.  G5 has a quick access button to increase/decrease sensitivity without the need to go into menus and settings.  I bought them 6 months ago and I am still happy with them.

The G19 is only better than the G15 if spending extra 100$ means nothing to you.
Psimon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psimon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 7:17am
The G19 is essentially a revised edition of the original G15. The complaint about the G15v1 was that with all the G keys it made the keyboard too wide to fit in most keyboard trays ( I experienced this for a fact) .

The G19 does have a higher resolution LCD and the ability to change the backlighting. It also has a upgraded, powered USB 2.0 hub. I'd have to say the extra $$$ would be worth it, if I needed the extra USB ports.
CM HAF 932*EVGA X58 3X SLI* i7920 4.0Ghz OC*6GB Mushkin RAM*EVGA Titan Sprclked*Samsung 850 Pro 1TB*Logitech Z5500*Razer Death Adder*Corsair 1000HX PSU*LG 34UM95 Monitor*Windows7Ult64

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 7:56pm
Thank you very much everybody for your comments & advice.  I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting the G15 keyboard.  I spoke to a Logitech sales support person on the phone a few days ago.  I was curious about the dimensions because I have a small keyboard tray in which the G15 must fit & the information that I received has confirmed that it will indeed fit. 

Now about the mouse:  I've been to several Best Buy stores and also J&R here in NYC.  None of them have gaming mice on display - they're all inside their packaging so I cannot actually put my hands on them.  Also, my hands are medium sized so a large mouse will not work for me.  Therefore, I'm guessing that the G9 won't work well for me because several of you have mentioned that it's good for people with large hands.  However, the G500 looks like it might be better suited for someone like me with medium-sized hands.  Here is a link:  http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/mice_keyboard_combos/devices/5750&cl=us,en
What do you think about the G500?

Agnt View Drop Down

Quote Agnt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 3:00pm
If you buy the mouse at Best Buy and don't like it, you can exchange it. I had the same problem since they don't really display the mice. I initially bought the G9x. I really wanted to like it, but it was just too odd of a shape. I exchanged it for the G500 (which seems to have replaced the G5 cause I can't find a Best Buy that carries it anywhere near me). Again, I just wasn't a fan of the comfort. I play WoW almost exclusively and I just use a regular palm grip so comfort is #1 for me. Then I exchanged it for the Razer Death Adder. Unbelievable. In terms of natural comfort, it absolutely blows the doors off anything from Logitech. It takes zero "getting used to." It just feels right. So if a natural feeling, comfortable mouse is what you are looking for, I say go with the Death Adder or Mamba (if you want wireless). I absolutely love Razer now.

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Agnt

If you buy the mouse at Best Buy and don't like it, you can exchange it. I had the same problem since they don't really display the mice. I initially bought the G9x. I really wanted to like it, but it was just too odd of a shape. I exchanged it for the G500 (which seems to have replaced the G5 cause I can't find a Best Buy that carries it anywhere near me). Again, I just wasn't a fan of the comfort. I play WoW almost exclusively and I just use a regular palm grip so comfort is #1 for me. Then I exchanged it for the Razer Death Adder. Unbelievable. In terms of natural comfort, it absolutely blows the doors off anything from Logitech. It takes zero "getting used to." It just feels right. So if a natural feeling, comfortable mouse is what you are looking for, I say go with the Death Adder or Mamba (if you want wireless). I absolutely love Razer now.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, Agnt.  I'll look for the Razer Death Adder & Mamba at my local Best Buys or J&R.
Prator View Drop Down

Quote Prator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 11:36pm
I'm really suprised DS doesn't offer the high end Logitech devices. In my mind the choice is simple. The majority elsewhere and here recommend the same things G15v2 and G5v2. For the record if you find a G9 in the store you can grip the mouse through the case and you'll see what everyone else is saying about it's size. IMO the G9 is meant for resting your palm on the mouse and the G5 is more of a nimble figertip mouse but can be used the other way too.

As for Razer products...well...to each his own.
Agnt View Drop Down

Quote Agnt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 9:23am
No problem. Glad to help. I hope you find a mouse that is comfortable for you. You will find a minority of people who have an admitted bias against Razer, but who are unable to explain why. As a result, I don't know the roots of that bias. All I can say is try them all for yourself and see what you like. I did that. Quite frankly, I expected to like the G9x and/or the G500 based on all the glowing reviews. However, I hated both Logitech mice and fell in love with the Razer Death Adder, which was the third and final ouse I tried. Just try them all for yourself if comfort is important to you. Good luck.
Prator View Drop Down

Quote Prator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 9:40am
I agree with Agnt just try them for yourself. Whatever has the most value (comfort, precision, build quality, support, etc) to you is all that matters.

@Agnt
I'm not sure why some people don't like Razer, to me its just the way their mice feel. Maybe I'll go pick up a death adder and give it a shot. I'll get back to you on that one Pinch
titusmckieus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote titusmckieus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 10:16am
One thing that I'm sure we all agree on. is when it comes to mouses it's just one of those things that you need to try out for yourself. and for me it is still a quest to find that ultimate mouse. and has been for about 7 years.

Each person has different needs as far as features and each person has different hand , grip styles. So it makes finding a mouse difficult. especially when manufactures are trying to make everyone happy. It tends to make them more universal than custom.

Fortunately I have 2 children that have computers, and I have 3 myself.  If I end up not liking it, it gets moved on down the line as a hand me down. and then I try again.
Agnt View Drop Down

Quote Agnt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 10:40am
@Prator
Yeah, honestly, I tried the Death Adder last and only after neither the G9x nor the G500 felt right to me. It was the first time I had picked up a Razer mouse in large part due to the negativity I had read from some people in their reviews. I was surprised at how much I loved it. It really makes me wonder why so many people have such antipathy towards Razer and their products. It seems like there is something deeper there as it reeks of the same sort of irrational stuff you hear from console fanboys...
Prator View Drop Down

Quote Prator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 7:26pm
Hmm so I went looking for the Death Adder and I think I've changed my mind to Mamba. Going to have to see what works best. Would be really interesting if I ended up back at the G9 Clap I'll still have to get back to you guys on that one. I'm unsure which one the poster of this thread said he was going to try and how it went.
 Post Reply Post Reply