Post Date: 2009-11-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: System Mechanic 9 Problem
    Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 7:46pm
I have been running System Mechanic for over a year and have liked it very much.  Recently I upgraded to Windows 7 and have ran into a problem.  A few day after upgrading to Windows 7 my System Mechanic 9 died during a dot upgrade it was doing to 9.0.x or whatever.  I uninstalled System Mechanic and tried to reinstall it but it doesn't reinstall.  The setup program dies without any error codes being shown.  I uninstalled my Kasperky Internet Security 2010 in case it was conflicting and it still didn't help.  I finally went to the event viewer for assessment and here is what it reports.  Hopefully there is a smart person or two that assist me with understanding the error codes below that Event Viewer shows:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          11/6/2009 6:25:48 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Kenneth-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: SystemMechanic.tmp, version: 51.50.0.0, time stamp: 0x2a425e19
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdbdf
Exception code: 0x0eedfade
Fault offset: 0x0000b727
Faulting process id: 0x121c
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca5f40d8ae0231
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Kenneth\AppData\Local\Temp\is-4FCP3.tmp\SystemMechanic.tmp
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 1858c547-cb34-11de-918f-001fbc00f909
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-07T00:25:48.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>38819</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Kenneth-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>SystemMechanic.tmp</Data>
    <Data>51.50.0.0</Data>
    <Data>2a425e19</Data>
    <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7600.16385</Data>
    <Data>4a5bdbdf</Data>
    <Data>0eedfade</Data>
    <Data>0000b727</Data>
    <Data>121c</Data>
    <Data>01ca5f40d8ae0231</Data>
    <Data>C:\Users\Kenneth\AppData\Local\Temp\is-4FCP3.tmp\SystemMechanic.tmp</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>1858c547-cb34-11de-918f-001fbc00f909</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 8:38pm
mp sure onk, uinstall it then go to this location;

C:\Users\Kenneth\AppData\Local\Temp\is-4FCP3.tmp\SystemMechanic.tmp and then delete the file "SystemMechanic.tmp"

if you have ccleaner, run it, then reboot pc and try again.

you may have to use ccleaner's registry cleaner also if the above does not work.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:03pm
Unfortunately that didn't help.  I have sent 2 notes to System Mechanic with no response yet.  I also went through and deleted everything that was systemmechanic.* from the hard drive and also from the registry while running crap cleaner inbetween activities.  I also set the program to run as admin etc etc.

It isn't really that big of a deal but it is fustrating.  I have went to the Microsoft technet also but have been unable to come up with a solution.  I also loaded the new 30 day trial of Norton Utilities which is nowhere as comprehensive as it was in the old days.  Doesn't do much more than Crap Cleaner which is free.

I guess eventually I will have to give up and just run crap cleaner which is a good product.  I liked System Mechanic 9 and it is running fine or several other computers of mine.  I wish that every company was as responsive as Digital Storm is to their customers.

Maybe System Mechanic will eventually respond.  I sent them the event viewer info which I thought would have helped them assess my issue but no response at this point.

It is hard for me to imagine what the PC experience must be like to the average Joe or Sally without technical support friends around.  Every problem I eventually solve with help helps me learn a little more but it gets old when you just want to use the computer and not dig into its guts to do so.

Stern%20Smile

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 08 Nov 2009 at 6:03pm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:07pm
Surely there's a number you could call?  
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:15pm
You may consider researching a bit more on the compatibility with the program and Win 7.  I know it should, but by this litmus test, the program doesn't do what it advertises.

http://www.crn.com/software/220600289;jsessionid=LABOPYFS2QXGVQE1GHPSKHWATMY32JVN

Edited by EdH63 - 08 Nov 2009 at 6:15pm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:47pm
EdH63,

Thanks for the info.  I wouldn't even pursue getting System Mechanic working if I hadn't been runninng it over a year.  I agree there seems to be some issue with it and Windows 7.  The worse part is that they have not even responded to 2 notes at this point.

Thank you for taking the time to look up info for me and responding!  This is one of the nicest things about the Digital Storm Forum.
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 6:53pm
No problem, my friend.  I'm just throwing some lines out there.  I hope you can resolve that issue.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 2:47am
Onkel_Ken apps like system mechanics are not needed at all, if you want my 2 cents, drop it, you will not notice the difference.
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 1:00pm
I had a problem with System Mechanic and Win7 as well - I do recall similar message in Event Viewer.  I could not get it to install after a clean upgrade to Win7 - just died with no error code despite multiple attempts and similar steps mentioned above.  As I also had a couple of other issues after the Win7 upgrade I just re-did the Win7 upgrade from scratch.  This time I installed S/M first (after windows update but before my a/v and any other apps).  Installed without issue.  Granted a complete re-install of the OS should not be needed.  I put my issue down to other things that may have occurred in my upgrade.

I like the program.  A few months ago I installed it when I was running Vista.  Decreased my boot time by quite a bit after running it.  Of course, everyone's mileage (and opinion) may vary.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 2:27pm
if your vista was booting slow, its because you have too many things set to start with vista, you need to edit those, I don't believe SM does that.
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 4:17pm

It does look at startup programs.  To what depth I can't say for sure as I'm not really into decompiling shrinkwrapped code.

Also you should be careful of your blanket statements such as "apps like system mechanics are not needed at all, if you want my 2 cents, drop it, you will not notice the difference."  It has made a difference for me. I don't have the time to dig through the registry and other areas that these tools look at.  Be interesting to see your testing results of SM and other products that produced your conculsion.

BTW - could someone do this manually; I guess if you knew what every registry setting, dlls and system calls are for; and if they are still accurate and valid; you could do it manually.  Are there some freeware tools that do similar; yes.  Should you be careful; yes (backup and scan what it will change before you hit "enter").   However if your PC is slowing down there are many good programs (free and pay) that can fix or assist.  After a certain point of manual effort I'm willing to spend a few bucks and have a tool do the bulk of the work for me.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 6:03pm
its not a matter of settings you should never trust other apps to set startup apps and etc for you, no app can truely tell what you need and don't.

you however can just run CCleaner and look at the startup apps and simply choose which of them you don't need to run all the time.

I can assure you that after SM has gone thru your startup apps, me and you can go back and I can show many things to improve that SM never did anything about.

99% of the people with SM, don't need it and would not notice the difference with or without it.

the amount of time/work it takes on our part to do a much better job then SM is like 5 minutes every few month.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Nov 2009 at 6:05pm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 6:21pm
DL13,

Thank you for sharing your experience which seemed similar to mine.  System Mechanic hasn't responded to 2 of my service requests yet.  I imagine that if you and I had trouble there must be hundreds of people having the same issues of how it interacts with Windows 7.

I liked the multiple visibility tools that it provided as well as the standard registry cleaning etc.  I will miss it but will most likely not reload windows to get it to work.  I had deinstalled Kaspesky Internet Security 2010, cleared the registry and hard drive including prefetch etc of any references to the program and rebooted etc and was not able to get it to load. I had it working fine even after running Windows 7 and suddenly when System Mechanic did a small dot upgrade to 9.0.x or whatever is when it blew up and I uninstalled and never have been able to get it to load again.

It does disturb me that System Mechanic has not responded to my emails even though I have 2 incidents open on this subject.  I imagine one of these days they will respond or I will see others that have went through the grief and got it installed again.  It isn't so much that I needed it or that it made anything faster but I did like digging around all the features and the visibility that it appeared to provide.  I just liked messing with it when I was bored I guess.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I loaded Crap Cleaner and I am using it for the moment.  I also loaded Norton Utilities 30 day trial which isn't much more than Crap Cleaner.  Back in the day, Norton Utilities was serious software but it isn't anything like back in the DOS days.

I did like poking around in SM when I was bored and it seemed like it had functionally especially since it was only $14 a year for 3 licenses when they had their specials.  Well if I get it running some day I will play with it again otherwise no great loss.

Thanks again for taking the time to read my post and relay your experience.  It make me feel a little bit better to know that I was not the only one having trouble with the program.

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 09 Nov 2009 at 9:40pm
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 7:23pm

Onkel_Ken; it's tough when they don't respond; and even more interesting as I got a very quick response. I can't remember if I had to register at the site but I went to http://www.iolo.com/customercare/technicalsupport.aspx and filled in some info on the problem and got a case number via e-mail very quickly. That was followed up (likely automated response) shortly thereafter requesting system info so they could investigate further.  As I reinstalled Win7 and SM is now working I subequently e-mailed them back and told them to close my case.

I did pretty much exactly what you did to see if I could correct the issue, cleaned any references in the registry, unistalled my a/v (in this case BitDefender), etc; but no luck. 

I too remember the days when Norton Utilities was the product to have.  I tried the trial a few months ago before I returned to SM (I had used it on my old XP machine in the past).  I got the same $14 deal.

I beleive we are not the only two that experienced this issue. Hopefully you won't need to re-install Win7. Best of luck!
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 7:30pm
DST4ME;
Yes CCleaner is good at the startup apps.  That's what I use now and what I used when my PC was Vista. 

Good to see you admit that at least 1% of people will see some benefit of SM.  As I'm part of that 1% I consider it $14 well spent.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 10:30pm
I don't want to argue but as an ex SM user let me say that its $14 wasted.
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 11:12pm
Dude, you're opinion and my money.

Onkel_Ken: let us know how you make out.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 2:09am
true but my Opinion is based on facts.

but you are right your money.
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 6:56am
Knew you couldn't leave without trying to get in the last word.

As I stated above: "interesting to see your testing results of SM and other products that produced your conculsion".  Please, provide your facts - I'd be very interested in them as I may have missed it when I did my research of SM before I did the trial and then purchase.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 4:24pm
What results would you like to see? don't install and set everything you down to run with windows and you will see no gain what so ever from SM.

every 3 month, take 2 minutes to review your startup apps with ccleaner, and every 6 month defrag your HDD.

I mean if you know how windows works then you know SM is pointless, its not my results, ask anybody that knows their way around windows and they will tell you that sm is pointless, cause 2 minutes every 3 month and a defrag once every 6 month is not worth $14.

you do know I own a software site and been testing many softwares for years right?

I mean you would have to neglect the heck out of your pc for years before sm could make a difference, in only boot up time and we are talking at best few seconds here.

any app that tells you it can speed up your pc is full of sh*t, your pc speed depends on your cpu speed first and foremost, pass that, for boot up your HDD speed matters, no software is gonna make them go faster.

also once you have made those changes, unless you neglect the heck out of your pc again for a couple of years, you have no use for SM.

If some of you out there have been led to think that cleaning your registry and such is gonna make your pc run faster you have been mislead.

if you are a type of person that neglects the heck out of cleaning your room to the point where there are files in the room cause its so dirty and there is dirty close every where and I mean your room is disgusting then yes you can use a made.

the same goes for your pc, if you gonna neglected it to that point then yes SM can help you but

1. you can do what it does for free in 10 minutes or less yourself and that is for the first time cleaning on a super neglected pc.

2. once the cleaning is done, if you just simply use common sense then you have no need for SM.

3. if you are a type to neglect your pc to that extent then you got bigger problems coming your way that SM can't fix.

just AV and firewall software, nothing will do a better job then some common sense.

now I assume most SM users like yourself and onkel ken are not the lazy types to neglect their pc to that extent, therefore I don't see how you guys would have a use for SM to begin with, I understand that you get a sense of security or comfort from it, but its a false sense.

at the end I'm just sharing facts, what you do and what software you use is up to you, but if you want to prove that SM is worth it, then you gonna have to show exactly what it does that an average use with some common sense would have use for.

now if you want to ask me, who knows windows like a back of my hand, I have make apps/installers for windows so I know exactly how the registry and etc works, then I'm telling you its not worth it.

if your windows knowledge, be it registry, file system, etc is more extensive then mine and you know something I don't then please do share.
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 8:11pm

First let me state that you do give many people lots of good advice and yes I have visited your site and downloaded and use a few tools from there.  I think it's a good and valuable site.

You state SM will have no impact and you will see no gain and then state that 1% of the people will notice a difference and state a case when it would make a difference.  You've contradicted yourself within these posts.  But still nothing about your, or someone else's, tests on SM.  You are stating your opinions; and I would never stop anyone from stating their opinion (that's part of being in a free society); however to be facts you need to supply (or be prepared to supply) evidence to back it up.

And you are right, I'm not lazy and don't neglect my PC.  I run a/v, f/w, disable unnecessary startup programs, backup regularily (separate hdd, a separate nas server and on-line using jungledisk), use ccleaner and don't download and install a lot of "junk".  I keep it as tidy as possible, however PCs do collect "garbage".  Not everything plays nice together and not everything uninstalls 100%.  After a certain point those things add up and cannot be easily fixed manually.  For my experience; I realized my PC was starting to get slower booting (I'm talking a few seconds difference not minutes) and some applications would periodically take longer to load.  I validated my startup programs, tried an on-line a/v scanner, anti-spyware scanner, looked at the registry and cleaned up what I could.  I also went through the Event Viewer looking for issues.  No virus, no spyware, startup looks fine and tidied what I could from the registry.  I then looked at some of the utilities I used back in my XP days, Norton Utilities, Registry Mechanic and System Mechanic. After a backup I ran these and yes System Mechanic did make a difference.  The boot time was noticeably faster (about 5 seconds) and apps are back to consistent load times.  Would I pay more than the $14 for SM; likely not.  But for me, it did help and that's what I relay here. That is my story and people are free to make judgement (or not) on SM whichever way they want based on it.  I'm not going to claim the tool will help everyone.  I do agree with you that these tools are not the panacea that the marketing makes them out as.

Don't take all this personnally (I don't play that game) however; and let's face it; it is easy to push your buttons; and this exchange has been fun.  The point I'm trying to make is that in this discussion (and I've seen in others) you often interchange opinion for facts.  BTW - my job includes evaluating and supporting enterprise-wide hardware and software deployments.  So back to my point, when talking about applications opinions and facts are two different things; they are not interchangeable and should not be used as such. 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:38pm
If you think that SM removes left over files and etc you are mistaken, all it can do at best is remove regkey, and that goes for any software like SM, any other garbage would be temp files or files left behind by uninstallers.

temp files ccleaner clean anyways, and left over files nothing will clean, unless you go hunt them down manually.

I don't know why think you pushed any buttons, cause you didn't, all I have done here is point out to readers that SM is pointless.

next time you want to do a test with SM let me know, and I will show you how sm makes no difference, obviously you missed something if you did everything and SM still made a difference, also SM can't help you load any apps, only loading it can help with is windows, if you apps load faster then you might want to look at your defrag.

there is no way for SM to make apps magically load faster, the only reason they might slow is due to defrag, this is what I mean by saying I know how windows and such works.

when somebody says faster windows load time, right away you know its startup apps and services, and when somebody says apps load time, you right away know defrag, why? cause that is how windows work, windows load time is dependent on what apps you have set to start with windows and apps load time depend on HDD speed and defrag.

those are facts, not my opinion, thats how windows works.

like I said next time you want to do maintenance, let me walk you thru it and at the end SM will make no difference.

so those are facts.

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Nov 2009 at 11:43pm
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 7:41am

LOL - you did it again; contradicting yourself in the same sentence ...  "I will show you how sm makes no difference, obviously you missed something if you did everything and SM still made a difference".  

Good to see you state again that SM can provide benefit in certain cases.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 4:20pm
I'm not contradicting anything you are just not understanding.

obviously if I use vacuum A and not do a good job then vacuum B would make a difference.

but if I did the job right the first time around with vacuum A then vacuum B would make no difference, proving that we don't need vacuum B.

I think everybody else got that, not sure how you missed it. and all of that was referring to first time cleaning and not every time after that, cause after first cleaning if done right, nothing should make a difference, unless you are neglecting your pc.

Edited by DST4ME - 11 Nov 2009 at 4:23pm
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 9:49pm
This post was not to debate the merits of System Mechanic 9.  The post was to query technical viewers based upon my error decription as reported by Event Viewer and to see if anyone with a better technical background could assess how to make the program load as intended.

Obviously, System Mechanic must be flooded with technical questions or simply too busy to respond to a registered user despite multiple requests for support.

I was simply hoping that I had provided sufficient information for a technically savy person to provide assistance in resolving the specific issue of the failed reinstallation of software that I had purchased.  Quality and utility was not the issue that I needed to have addressed.  Over the years I have wasted a lot of money on junk software but at the very least I would like it to run no matter how little it provided useful information.

Once again I request that if anyone can look at my original posting and provide supportive technical guidance or suggest additional testing I can do to get this software to work I would appreciate it.

I have been searching the internet over the last few days and have not found anyone with the exact same problem and a recommended solution. 

I appreciate the input from the previous viewers of this post and have taken their input to heart.  Short of reinstalling Windows 7 or giving up on the software any other guidance would be appreciated.

Geek
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 10:10pm
I did't respond to that part onkel ken cause I thought that the software was not compatible with win7.

is this the pro version?
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 10:44pm
Going back to my post about compatibility, this is my assumption.  Could you contact someone on the MS side of things and ask the question of compatibility?
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 10:47pm
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 11:08pm
I'm running System Mechanic v 9.0.5 with no issues on two machines - both Win7 Home Premium 64-bit. 

My problem similar to yours occurred when I tried to install SM after virtually all other programs but I had no problem when I installed early (right after Windows update). 

If you don't hear back from the vendor you may want to hold onto your key and wait a bit and see if a patched release comes out as it is likely that there is some compatibility issues.  If you do end up re-installing Win7 at some point and you want SM I recommend installing early.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 1:05am
ok so it runs on windows7, maybe time for uninstall and a registry cleaning Onkel ken.
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 7:26am

Even though I closed my case with iolo due to what I did; I e-mailed them back stating that others are having similar issues.  If I hear back I'll let you know.

Jont1560 View Drop Down

Quote Jont1560 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 2:40pm
I am not sure if you had your problem resolved.  I am having the same problem with system mechanic 9, and have been working with iolo to get it resolve.  The problem lies in the way that system mechanic handle the install modes, 32 bit vs. 64 bit.  I truly notice that you want to be able to use this program.  I am also an avid fan of the program.  I know a little about computer but would rather spend my time doing other things than sitting around doing cleanup. If it can be made automated and safe with a single program, I think that is the way to go. Having said that, here is what you need to do.

Go to
Windows 7: C:\Users\(accountname)\AppData\Local\Temp

The files that you will be looking for specifically will have a name very similar to the following: Setup Log 2008-06-25 #001.txt
The terms 'Setup Log' will always be in the file name, but the rest is generated based on the day and time that the installation took place.

*Note:  If you cannot seem to find the Local Settings folder once you are within your username in documents and settings then you will need to configure your PC to show hidden files and folders. Click and expand the "organize menu" on windows explorer. Click and open "Folder and Search Option".  Click on the view tab and select "Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Once the local setting folder is visible, select the setup logs, zip and send them here  mailto:[email protected]
I remain hopeful that they will have this issue resolve in the very near future and you will be able to use your program again.

Best of luck

Jon

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 11"><>
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
...Albert Einstein...
DL13 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DL13 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 2:59pm
From their newsletter I got via e-mail today:

"iolo's engineers are putting the final touches on the latest version of System Mechanic - System Mechanic 9.5 - which will be released in late November 2009."

Hopefully the new version will be more Win7 friendly...
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 8:32pm
Jont1510 & DL13

Thank you both for your concern and continued support.  I have been searching the internet for days trying to figure this out.  I have been on Microsoft technet with no success either.  At least I know I am not alone having this problem.

I followed your advice Jont1560 and send the info to the email address you provided as well as mentioning the two cases that I had open that they had not responded too.

DL13 I also tried to reinstall win7 upgrade but it does not allow you to do that without starting totally from scratch.  I tried but it died when I tried to do an upgrade again.  I also wonder if the System Mechanic 9.5 will have a fix to the problems that have been reported

Jont1510 keep me advised on your journey to a solution with Iolo.  I will be interested in how they resolve your situation.  I guess they must be flooded with folks with issues since they have not responded to my requests for assistance so far.

Thanks again to you both!!  This is why I like the Digital Storm Forum!  There is always people around that are willing to help others!!!!!!!!!!

Ermm

Edited by Onkel_Ken - 14 Nov 2009 at 8:34pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

ok so it runs on windows7, maybe time for uninstall and a registry cleaning Onkel ken.

did you try that Onkel ken?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>