FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming Laptops are a Conundrum

Post Date: 2012-08-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
daishi2442 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote daishi2442 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming Laptops are a Conundrum
    Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 4:50pm
I'm on my way back from a fair few months in the lovely third-world sandbox, and my laptop I use currently is showing its age unfortunately. So, I figured since I have a bit of money hanging out with no purpose, I'd grab myself something new for my return. Been looking around for a few months as to what I want and who is good nowadays, and I like the reputation I see at DS.

Current budget is mostly irrelevant, I'm trying to keep it around $3,000 if I can help it, but a max ceiling I'd be willing to go to would be 4k.

I move around a lot, but I game on the heavy end of things, and I demand a fair bit of performance out of my laptop. Problem side of things is it HAS to be able to fit in a small space in a pull-out dresser, which is why it has to be a laptop. I play mainly shooters, with some RT/TBS thrown in for fun. Bottom line requirement is BF3 1080p @ high settings sitting pretty at 60 frames. Current one runs about 40 on 1080p low, or 55 720p high minus the AO.

Anyway, on to the fun part, parts!

Chassis Model: Digital Storm x17 Laptop (Model: 9170)

Processor: Intel Core i7 3920XM Extreme Edition (2.9 GHz Turbo Mode to 3.8Ghz) (Quad Core) (8MB Cache) - I figure if I'm looking for performance, this is where to go. From reading around the web, should be able to grab a bit of OC'ing goodness too.

Thermal Compound: Premium IC Diamond CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise) - No brainer, I use diamond on my desktop in my less mobile residence.

Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - Upgrade puts it at 16, which is more than enough for games, but fine in the event I use it for some production work.

Primary Hard Drive: Intel 120GB SSD (520 Series) (SATA 6Gb/s) - Never really tried these guys out before, should be interesting. Heard great things about using them as your boot drive, so I'll try 'em out.

Secondary Hard Drive: 750GB Hybrid 7200RPM with 8GB SSD (SATA 3Gb/s) - Wouldn't mind a full TB, but I don't really need that much unless I intend on putting my full games library on at the same time...I really do like the hybrid storage drives though.

Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs) - Nothing fancy here, I don't use bluray at all so no biggie.

Wireless Card: Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1202 (Reduces Latency for Online Gaming) - Heard mixed tales of these bad boys. Figured I'd try it out for myself and be the judge of it.

Video Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M 4GB with NVIDIA Optimus Technology - I've stuck with nvidia for a long time, until recently, when I threw a 6970 in my desktop. I wasn't too happy with the driver support then, although the card does pretty well. I figure I'll stick to what I know this time, and go with my gut. Done some research on the 680; still kinda on the fence about it, but since my intention is power and SLi laptops are few and far between, not to mention dearly expensive, I'd go with it and see how it plays out.

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition) - Nothing special here.

Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty - DS seems to be the only company I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with to actually offer a wonderful backup on their product; certainly none of the 400$ nonsense some competitors like to shackle their consumers with...

So, now that that's out there, whaddya think? I took the RAM special, couldn't take advantage of the storage one because I like hybrid, and am throwing down a bit on the CPU and GPU...but the question is, will it do what I think it will?

Computer Build #398677
Current Price: $3,371

Tips are certainly appreciated and considered. -Jonathan

Edited by daishi2442 - 23 Aug 2012 at 4:54pm
I live my life protecting your rights, which you use to destroy mine.
Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 6:57pm
All in all, a good build, but I think that you are probably spending a little too much. Here are a few suggestions:

-Go with the 3820QM instead of the 3920. Games are generally not very intensive, and the 3820QM is generally about the equivalent of a 2600K. It should be fine for anything.

-Go with the 7970M instead of the 680M. The performance is about the same, unless you are playing a game that doesn't really support AMD.

-Windows 7 Pro is probably unnecessary unless you plan on using more than 16GB of RAM. Considering that you do not, you may want to stay with Home Premium.

Good luck.
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 10:39pm
@Orange7.....you always give great advice but I'm going to recommend he stay with the 680M GPU in spite of the premium price. I do agree with you that the price to performance is to high for the 680M but there are still issues with Enduro and the 7970M utilization in some games. If I were the OP, I'd get on the forums of his games and see if anyone is having utilization issues with the 7970M since it's been out long enough now.

In my case, utlilization is to low causing me trouble setting AA and files loading at a distance. Of course, none of this is the fault of DS or even the hardware....it's simply waiting for AMD to update a mobile driver and it hasn't been done with 12.8 so far.

I'm not being negative; just suggesting that, if the $300. price is not prohibitive to the OP, I'd go with the 680M purely for driver support.

Bobby
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 5:06am
Just adding but even the 680m will not give you 60fps my brother has the same config 3820qm or whatever its called and a 680m, to get the fps you want 60+ a desktop pc would be needed just saying don't be dissapointed if you don't get the fps your looking for. But all that said for what you want get the 680m

Quote daishi2442 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 6:43am
@orange...I understand the 680m is overpriced compared to its radeon counterpart, but in all honesty I have a bad taste in my mouth from the last one I used, and would rather stick with the high end nvidia one just for my familiarity with the brand. Plus, the 7970s Enduro incompatibility with some of my games rules it out regardless of how good or bad their drivers usually are.

As far as the CPU goes, this is where I'll probably follow your direction...after taking a second and third look at it, .2 GHz probably isn't worth the extra 500 bucks.

As for the Pro instead of Home premium...I mis-clicked that, heh. I have no purpose for anything but the basic operating system.

As for framerate issues; what would you suggest then? Unless there's a desktop that can fit in a very confined space, I have to go with a laptop. Are you saying that single GPU laptops aren't far enough along yet to perform as I'd like them to? I'm not asking for ultra, just high...unfortunately there's not a whole lot of gaming performance laptop reviews around here so I'm kinda in the dark about the viability of them.

Much appreciated, gents...

Edited by daishi2442 - 24 Aug 2012 at 6:47am
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 6:56am
I'm just curious why does the laptop need to fit in a small place like a dresser

Quote daishi2442 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 6:56am
Okay...changed the CPU out to a 3820, left the 680 as it is, selected the correct OS, and price is down to $2,759. Certainly a fair bit less money, and definitely a better value for performance.

Config #568685

Like this, its essentially an x17 L4 with a larger storage drive. Look good?

Quote daishi2442 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 7:06am
Originally posted by tju76

I'm just curious why does the laptop need to fit in a small place like a dresser

Because I'm an active duty member of the USMC, and my barracks room doesn't allow for a conventional-sized desktop tower. The dresser folds up into a 14" deep, 30" wide, 24" tall space which already holds an xbox, 24" monitor, and my laptop...so it would kinda difficult to replace the laptop with a desktop. Not to mention I get sent to various minor assignments around the US, which makes toting a desktop around cumbersome and more trouble than its worth.
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 7:24am
How many years you have in the usmc

Quote daishi2442 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 7:41am
I'm probably blind but...since I can't find the PM button, suffice to say I'm up for reenlistment this year.
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 8:10am
Lol I don't think there is a pm I could be wrong though

Quote daishi2442 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 8:23am
I see. Maybe I'm not so blind then. Any reviews of laptops with a similar setup that you know of? I've been trying to find a review using the 680m, 3820, and similar other things, but there isn't really as large a market for gaming laptops as I'd thought there would be.
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 10:49am
Hi daishi2442,

Here is a review I found for the 680M. 

Looks like all the game settings are at 1080 resolution and ultra settings. 

I hope this helps
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 10:50am
Originally posted by daishi2442

I see. Maybe I'm not so blind then. Any reviews of laptops with a similar setup that you know of? I've been trying to find a review using the 680m, 3820, and similar other things, but there isn't really as large a market for gaming laptops as I'd thought there would be.

You'll probably get a lot of reviews and information over at Notebook Review http://www.notebookreview.com/

Bounce over to the Clevo/Sager section since that is who makes the x17. Your model number will be the P9170EM.

I do move around a lot on the tech forums since I use laptops exclusively and the general concensus is that the 3820QM processor with the 680M GPU is a killer combination. I've read of a few issues but those almost always go back to a game patch. I have the 3820QM with the 7970M GPU and I am totally happy with the performance of the laptop. I have an issue with setting AA but that's a driver issue that should be fixed eventually. I'm also not running a SSD because my game is constantly writing to disk and I need a lot of space but the 750GB drives running at 7200rpm do the job for me. Bottom line is that all the reviews and my experience say that your configuration is great.

Wait till you see the size of the power brick Big%20Smile

As an war vet myself.....thank you for your service

Bobby
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 10:53am
@Asangard....that's a great review. If you look further down the page to the left you'll see where the author talks about the 7970M. Interesting read and another reason I think daishi2442 is making a great choice for hardware. I like techinferno and I'm glad you pointed that out for him.

Edit: I know it's about Dell in crossfire but the base driver issue is the same :)

Edited by Bobby - 24 Aug 2012 at 10:56am

Quote daishi2442 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 11:09am
@Asangard...Thank you VERY much for that link, was pretty much what I was looking for but failing to find. Solidified my selection and very much appreciated. :)

@Bobby...I've looked at NBR, and seen some things, however I hadn't realized it was based on the barebones Clevo system, so thank you for pointing that out. Good to hear you like it, and as I always tell people who thank me; nothing special, just doing my job. Thanks for your service. ;)

Pretty sure I'll put in a new order with my updated selections today. Hopefully my bank will come back with a response about letting go of the funds I need to purchase it!
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 11:16am
Hi daishi2442,

Glad to be of help and keep us updated.
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Quote daishi2442 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 11:27am
Currently just waiting for a response back regarding whether it would be easier to request changes on my order or submit an entirely new order...once we've straightened that out, we'll get down to business.

Thanks to those who corrected a few things. (I'm looking at you, orange) :P

Update: Changed a few things with my original order through Gerardo's help.

Final Specs
Chassis Model: Digital Storm x17 Laptop (Model: 9170)
Display: 17.3 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Glossy Surface) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820QM (2.7 GHz Turbo Mode to 3.7Ghz) (Quad Core) (8MB Cache)
Thermal Compound: Premium IC Diamond CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive: Intel 120GB SSD (520 Series) (SATA 6Gb/s)
Secondary Hard Drive: 750GB Hybrid 7200RPM with 8GB SSD (SATA 3Gb/s)
Optical Drive: DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Wireless Card: Intel Ultimate-N 6300 Wireless LAN Module
Video Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M 4GB with NVIDIA Optimus Technology
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Gonna run me just short of $2,800, and for that I'll have a laptop that can run far better than my current one, with the wonderful DS support in the event something goes wrong.

Edited by daishi2442 - 24 Aug 2012 at 1:15pm
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 6:48am
Good deal man.

Semper Fidelis!
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 8:07am
Hi daishi2442,

I notice you have both a SSD and a Hybrid HDD. I was wondering why you decided on the Hybrid drive. They are more money, more complicated and less reliable. I think you are much better off with the SSD and a standard HDD.

The Hybrid drive is only faster than a standard HDD if the information you want to download is loaded in the SSD. If the system has to go to the HDD part of the drive it will be slower. Hybrid drives stop the HDD drive until it is needed. That means every time you go to the Hybrid-HDD it has to spin up and spin down the drive. This spin-up-down cycle causes more wear on the drive components and takes longer to retrieve.

I may be behind on the Hybrid drives technology but the last time I looked they were not a good choice.

Frank

Quote daishi2442 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 2:21pm
Hmm. I looked into the hybrid drives, and from what I understood, they have modified them so that they don't spool-down the HDD. However, I may've misunderstood. Perhaps someone with more hands-on experience with them could chime in and dispel the confusion?
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 4:53pm
I can only speak from my experience.

SSHs do not allow you to specify what is on the "solid state part" of the drive, therefore you don't really see the raw speed of SSD.  Now that I own both I can tell you hands down there is nothing even close in comparison.

Also note - I had nothing but trouble from my SSH - it wasn't very reliable at all.

Quote daishi2442 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 4:38am
I dunno. I consulted a bit further with some computer buds back home, and three of the four have good experiences with the hybrids...I guess we'll just see how it turns out. Worst comes to worst, I'll use my external to store stuff on until I can get a standard drive.

Quote daishi2442 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 7:32pm
Got an email a few hours ago; Laptop is shipped!
 Post Reply Post Reply