FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming/streaming/all around PC

Post Date: 2019-04-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Djester247 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Djester247 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming/streaming/all around PC
    Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:13am
Looking to get into the PC gaming world. I currently game and stream on Xbox and I’m wanting to transition into gaming and streaming on PC. Looking to spend 2k or less can it be done? If so what would be a good PC to go with for what I’m needing done. I would spend a little more if need be I know it costs for good stuff.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 3:43pm
Welcome to DS forum Djester247!

What monitor and resolution do you plan to game at?   What kind of games do you want to play?

For that $2,000 budget you could afford a prebuilt DS Lynx 4 build with a very good I7-9700 CPU and a very good RTX 2070 video card that is kind of a sweet spot do everything well for gaming.

If your budget can go a bit higher, with a Lumos custom build and an RTX 2080 video card you would be in better shape for 4K gaming at high settings, or using an RTX 2080 Ti video card would be the top video card for 4K gaming and VR on Ultra settings.

Quote Djester247 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:07pm
I plan on playing all sorts of games into fortnite sea of thieves auto chess gta division 2 pretty much want to play everything. I would be satisfied at 1080p but would like to hit that 4k resolution. I haven’t really thought about monitor yet honestly I would be open for suggestions was looking at a 24”. So it would almost benefit me better to move up to the lumps build rather than the lynx build if I can spend a little more.

Quote Djester247 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:08pm
Definitely open to all suggestions
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:24pm
Well then for a Lumos build using a better MSI MPG motherboard, much faster 500gb Samsung Evo M.2 NVMe Drive1, Stage 1 overclocked i7-9700 CPU, better DS 240mm CPU cooler, Corsair HD Series RGB fans, Free internal RGB case lights, and the RTX 2080 video card here is a bit nicer Lumos Config #2341542 ($3038).   

For 4K monitors, it’s a good idea to try to select a NVidia G-Sync compatible selection.   Dell Ultrasharp, Dell/Alienware, Asus, and Acer Predator are pretty popular picks. The NVidia website has a running list of all tested & NVidia approved GSync panels.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Edited by HockeyBuck - 08 Apr 2019 at 4:36pm

Quote Djester247 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 6:44pm
The lumos I built came out around 2600 using the i7 9700 and rtx 2070. The build number is 2341739. Thanks for the help not sure who to ask for help around here lol
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 3:16am
Welcome to DS. We hope to see you with a Verified Customer badge soon. There is a quite a difference between 1080p and 4K (2160) and the hardware (gpu) that will work with a 1080 will have a hard time with 4K. With a  24" monitor, a 2K (1440) will work excellent and save you a ton of money. Ahh, choices!!Big%20Smile
Keep us posted.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 4:36am
I also recommend you aim for a 1440p monitor resolution. At the smaller monitor sizes, its pixel count excels at giving you a crystal clear picture. The RTX 2070 is the card of choice for that res.

Your build includes a SATA M.2 primary drive instead of the much faster Samsung 970 NVMe. Definitely switch to that. You don't need 32 GB of RAM for gaming. The sound card is not necessary for excellent sound production. Motherboard sound has been excellent for many years now. You never want to overclock a video card on air. The gain is not worth the extra heat/stress.

Make those changes, you come in under $2400.

Quote Djester247 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 4:54am
Awesome thanks after doing some tweaking I should be able to get the lumos build. But my wife and I were talking for my first PC the lynx lvl 4 is more than enough for what I need I can always upgrade later down the road if need be.

Quote Djester247 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:48am
This next build number 2342461 would it work for 4K gaming?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 12:34pm
The rtx 2070 will play 4K, but not at consistent 60 FPS with all games at max settings.     Some games would need you to lower in game graphics settings.   That said, it’s still very good gaming running at 50 FPS and/or lowering some very demanding settings.   Depends on your wishes.

The RTX 2080Ti is considered the card for 4K by some.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 1:08pm
I see DS is now allowing a few upgrades on Lynx 4.   Video card, motherboard, fans.

Yes the build would work OK at moderate settings on some games in 4K, but for stronger 4K performance at high settings you might want to consider a move up to the RTX 2080 ($390).   The RTX 2070 is more of a well regarded 2K gaming all around choice as Cretae & Bpratt also mentioned.   The uber expensive RTX 2080 Ti is the 4K and VR slayer card.

The Lynx 4 now allows upgrades to motherboard. That’s useful.
The standard Asus Prime board is an adequate entry level mobo with few features.   The Asus ROG Strix ($49) or MSI Pro Carbon ($99) would be higher quality motherboards with better feature sets and higher quality Realtek sound codecs.   The Carbon board adds on board WiFi if you need that.   Either would be a much better mobo choice.

The Lynx 4 also allows fan upgrades.   The better fan is Corsair LL Series ($60) and the very best fan is the Corsair ML Series ($70).
Both are also RGB and would perform very well but would be expected to last far longer.

Don’t forget the free RGB case lights....

Everything else looks good to me!

Edited by HockeyBuck - 09 Apr 2019 at 1:14pm

Quote Djester247 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 1:25pm
So pretty much for good quality 4K would need the rtx 2080 that thing is expensive and on the lumos build puts me over the top. I’ll stick with 1080p for now on my first gaming PC and go with the lynx level 4. And possibly 2 27 or 24” monitors. Would the lynx be good for 180p gaming on one monitor and streaming or other things on the other monitor simultaneously?!?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 3:00pm
Yes it would do that pretty well with the RTX 2070.

Personally I have always used 3 x 24” Dell Ultrasharp IPS monitors, but despite the option of 5760 x 1200 I prefer gaming on just one 1920 x 1200 screen.   Wide is definitely beautiful to look at, but it’s much harder to game and be effective at those wider resolutions for me anyway.   

Quote Djester247 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 3:25pm
Ok sounds good!! I’ll stick with the more budget build with the lynx for my first PC. And do 2 24 or 27” monitors. I like asus and lg. Have just started looking at monitors. Since no need for 4K monitors should be a little cheaper.
animeshsaxena View Drop Down

Quote animeshsaxena Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 12:35am
Is the sound system working correclty? I tried it with music from soundcloud but there was issue!

Edited by animeshsaxena - 01 Aug 2019 at 7:14am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:20am
Originally posted by animeshsaxena

Is the sound system working correclty?

It seems you misunderstand that OP has not yet ordered his PC.

There is no reason except malfunction why the onboard sound that comes with every modern motherboard would not work. Hockeybuck points out that it stands to reason higher quality mobos have somewhat better sound reproduction built in, but IMO the differences are not that large.It is neither difficult nor expensive to provide quality sound. I believe we can trust DS to have selected very good soundboards even at their lower end.

In the end, it's really easy to add a sound card if you find you have the need for one, but I'd recommend you give the onboard audio a try first.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:34am
Originally posted by Djester247

Ok sounds good!! I’ll stick with the more budget build with the lynx for my first PC. And do 2 24 or 27” monitors. I like asus and lg. Have just started looking at monitors. Since no need for 4K monitors should be a little cheaper.

I think you'll have no regrets for that choice. Most users here like to opt for higher framerates at lower resolutions than be capped at 60 fps at 4K. The only 4K monitors I've seen that go above 60 frames are around $1800 at 27"!!!   At 27", the difference in 4k is not any kind of must have.

Quote Djester247 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 6:20am
Ok thank you sir for your insight!! I do believe for me and my first PC the lynx lvl 4 build would be perfect for what I’m trying to accomplish. Another question and this should be it...down the road is the lynx easy to upgrade? Is it even upgrade compatible? Like could I put the nividia 2080 graphic card in a year or 2. And everything still work flawlessly? Except maybe 4K is a thing then? Not sure how all this works exactly
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 3:38pm
Yes, I think the Lynx level 4 is very upgradeable. It's 750W power supply has plenty of overhead to allow the top end 2080 Ti if you wish. You will also have a second M.2 slot on the motherboard if you decide you want to upgrade to an NVMe solid state drive from the SATA drive it comes with. You may never feel the need for that, but it's an available choice. Your 16 GB of RAM should be great for quite awhile into the future.

It's a really capable machine as is, and quite a bargain, but it's set up to rival much more expensive rigs with a little tweaking.

Quote Djester247 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Yes, I think the Lynx level 4 is very upgradeable. It's 750W power supply has plenty of overhead to allow the top end 2080 Ti if you wish. You will also have a second M.2 slot on the motherboard if you decide you want to upgrade to an NVMe solid state drive from the SATA drive it comes with. You may never feel the need for that, but it's an available choice. Your 16 GB of RAM should be great for quite awhile into the future.

It's a really capable machine as is, and quite a bargain, but it's set up to rival much more expensive rigs with a little tweaking.

Very much so and good to know that I can upgrade it later...I’m so out of the know with PCs that I didn’t know you could change out the components to upgrade in the future that’s very good news. Thanks for the help!!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 1:05am
Our pleasure.
 Post Reply Post Reply