Post Date: 2011-06-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: gtx 560 Ti vs just gtx 560
    Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 10:17am
I've been building my new gaming machine for months on this site and one other and kinda liked the new ODE level 1 just introduced.  My budget is rather low at $1500 or so and I'll be gaming, when I buy a new monitor, with a 23" monitor at 1680x1050 I hope.  I've never played beyond 1280x1024 so this should be a real treat. Maybe 1920x1080?
My question is, The ODE has the gtx 560 not 560 Ti and wondered what the performance difference would be?  I play flight sims, Civ5, and shooters and upcoming BF3 and Elders Scroll.  Would I be better off with a Haf922, i5-2500k and the gtx 560Ti or stay with ODE level 1 with better cpu and gtx 560, not 560Ti?

Also, with the haf 922 setup I'd go with corsair A70 air cool instead of lc. Liquid near electronics makes me nervous.   
mikec View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikec Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 12:45pm
Here's a couple of reviews and comparisons of the GTX560.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-amp-edition-gtx-560-directcu-ii-top,2944.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4344/nvidias-geforce-gtx-560-top-to-bottom-overclock/1

And here's a comparison of i5 2500k vs i7 2600k in some games:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20

I'm sure a DS build guru will be along shortly.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 12:54pm
Thanks mikec for the quick response.  I'm checking your links now. 
I tend to believe a better cpu now and upgrade gpu later, but others say to get the most gpu you can afford up front. 
mikec View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikec Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 2:10pm
If you considering a low-end CPU (i3), then getting the better CPU would be worth it. But the i5 is right up there with the i7 for today's games. The CPU will most likely not be an issue, especially if you overclock.

If building from scratch, my personal preference would be the i5 with the better graphics card.

For the liquid cooling, I was told by Alex and DST4ME (official DS reps) that they have been reliable, and the liquid is non-conductive, oil-based. Though I'd probably use air cooling too if I had the choice.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 2:25pm
Pouring over the links you gave me it looks like the gtx560 is about 9% slower than gtx 560Ti on most games.  Not huge now but what about later?
As much as I love the looks of ODE, gaming does come first.  For a $100 more (my wife's gonna kill me)  I can get the haf922 with i5-2500k, the i7-2600k showed little benefit, with the gtx 570 and corsair A70 cooler.  The gtx570 showed big gains over 560 line.
I'm still debating lc, especially if it's non-conductive.     
ironmb View Drop Down

Quote ironmb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 2:47pm
DST is not an official Digital Storm rep, hes a customer with alot of knowledge.

You also should remember Skyrim, and BF3 are going to be very very taxing. From the looks off G4tv about those 2 games you might wanna save up some more money and try to get an 2600k + 570.

The 2600k is well above the 2500k, i dont know what reviews you were looking at.. but the 2600k is probably the best performing gaming CPU out right now. I honestly dont think you can get a LC set up with your budget..

Edited by ironmb - 08 Jun 2011 at 2:47pm
mikec View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikec Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 3:32pm
Ah, just saw DST4ME helping everyone and assumed he worked for DS :)

Yes, the 2600k is better. But looking at benchmarks from Anandtech (above) and Guru3D:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7-2600k-review

And given his current budget, wouldn't the extra $150 have more gaming impact if upgrading the video card from GTX 560 to GTX 570?

OTOH, the i7 will improve other non-gaming tasks too. And if you were considering upgrading in the future, the graphics card would be easier to do.

Edited by mikec - 08 Jun 2011 at 6:22pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 6:38pm
mikec benchmarks dont' represent out pc environment, benches run one app or game at a time and nothing else, we have lot of stuff going on in background of our pcs.

second lets not just worry about today's performance, you care about how your pc will do in 2 years? cause I can assure you that the difference between 2600k and 2500k will a lot more then what you see today.

teh cpu is the brain of your pc, the speed of entire pc depends on the brain of the pc, so never skimp out on the brain, gpu is something that can be easily upgraded.

As mentioned I'm not a DS rep, which means unlike a rep, I don't have to push any parts or anything, I'm free to talk to you guys about whatever, and that is one of many reasons why I stay on this forum, I can get the correct info to you guys, and then you can make your decision based on all the info.

back to the first question, 560 ti vs 560, 560 has less performance than 560 ti.

for 1900 x 1200 res the best choice is 570 with option to go sli if the games you play will use it.

teh res you game at depends on your monitors native res.

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Jun 2011 at 6:40pm
mikec View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikec Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 10:25pm
True, benchmarks are in an "optimal" environment. But they should show performance relative to each other (even if it's not what you'll see), right?

So if budget limits the choice to either CPU or graphics now, you'd suggest CPU? So in bprat22's case, take the ODE (i7, GTX 560) over the custom build with i5 and GTX 570?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 1:50am
but in that environment yes, however in real life use you and in the future use, you will find that those benchmarks don't hold up to what they are.

In this case for example, showing what the 2500k can do with say cs5 with just that running vs that running plus bunch of other stuff in teh background, and how much performance loss the stuff in the background take to run cs5 is not shown or tested for.

ode makes it a money issue, for somebody at 1900 x 1200, I would not recommend 560, ode or not, but if budget does not allow, then IMO brain is the last to sacrifice as it will impact the whole pc's performance, gpu only impacts the games.

You are focused on what a 2500k and 570 can do now, you are forgetting that in 2 years, the 2600k will do much better than the 2500k, as apps and games take more advantage of multi core/threads already and in the future, the 2500k will fall further and further down, in tomorrows games that will use the same, you could very find the 2600k and 560 ti doing better then 2500k and 570, at 1900 x 1200 or lower.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 9:33am
Hey guys, thanks a bunch for all the input.  I didn't want to start a war over this but a good debate among us over what can be strong opinions is productive in the end.

I'll probably go with the ODE level 1 with the better cpu.  I still have to buy a better monitor to up my res, so the bucks are tight.  The gtx 560 is a little slower than the 560Ti but still gives good frame rates.  If I have to tone things down a little with BF3 or Skyrim so be it.  It's still tons better than what I have now with my old Dell 570 with GT 240 card.

I agree with DST4ME that thinking down the road is the better way.  I can always slap a better gpu in it next year if things get choppy. 

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 9:42am
No war just a friendly informative discussion here.

good luck and don't forget to post pics when you get teh system
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 10:01am
I love this forum.  I think this is why I keep coming back to Digital Storm.

Between mikec and ironmb and DST4ME i'm in a constant flux.  The haf922, 2600k with gtx570 with A70 cooler might cause me to wait several more weeks to do it right. 

Tough call.  Confused
mikec View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikec Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 10:37am
Yea, that wasn't a war, that was me getting informed

I had been under the impression the GPU was the far bigger bottleneck for gaming at higher resolutions as long as you got a i5 or higher and didn't run anything significant in the background (until games really got multi-threaded).

You should post the specs of the build, and you can get some fine-tuning feedback for the other components.

If you can handle the wait and the wife , I vote for doing it right in a few weeks.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 11:37am
fyi Alex keeps saying they are gonna lose the 10% discount very soon.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 1:37pm
Jeez, DST4ME, I hope they don't.  I thought he said they were dropping the 10% banner but keeping the prices as is.

If they do raise prices 10% I'd probably, maybe, hope not, go with another boutique builder, well known with an excellant reputation, to get more power for less $$.  I'd rather DS but a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 5:38pm
I don't know any other builder that does what DS does, you better be careful, if there was one we would know of it.

there are many that claim they are the same but after looking at them I find them to not be at all, hoestly I don't know any other company that has the same parts for these prices with that workmanship and DS's customer svc, and I really mean that, I looked at lot of builders before I came here.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Jun 2011 at 5:40pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 8:06am
I'm pretty sure I'd stick with DS.  They just seem to have it together.  After all my twisting an turning over what to get the ODE level 1 seems right for me personally and on my budget.  The ODE has alot of bang for the buck.  I can always change gpu later on if needed, I've put components together before and no big deal.
If I already had a decent monitor I'd spend more on the pc. 

Thanks for your input. 

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 8:32am
Well then I guess ode 1 it is

Our pleasure and good luck

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Jun 2011 at 8:33am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 11:38am
Compared to the ODE level 1 how would a haf922, i7-2600k, gtx 560Ti, corsair A70 air cooler, corsair800W and 500mg wd drive and basic Asus P8P67 mb with no sli compare?

I tried to save and email config # but it wouldn't work so I just listed the highlights for now. 

My build is $60 more with less mb and not as pretty a caseCry but I do get my gtx560Ti (I'm pig-headed) instead of gtx560 and an air cooler which I prefer both for performance and piece of mind.   

Any thouights would be appreciated.
mikec View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikec Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 1:07pm
For reference, you mean something like this 566706?

Pros:
* Gain GPU power
* Gain air-cooling (piece of mind)

Cons:
* Lose CPU power (the DS tested CPU overclock)
* Lose disk space
(?) Lose disk performance (less dense, less cache).
* Lose motherboard options (SLI expansion, some read IO ports I think)
* Lose pretty case
* Lose internal chassis lighting
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 1:25pm
Yep, config 566706 is it exactly.  Mmmm, sounds like my obsession over the 560 Ti is pushing me in the wrong direction.  The boost over what I have will be enormous with gtx 560 but the greed for power is intoxicating.   

I could overclock myself??  but not with DS expertise, hard drive size not a problem and I don't think I'd sli but you never know.  Good to keep options open.  But, darn, that 600T  white case is a looker with the internal lights especially. 

I still think I'm going ODE #1 but I can be a pain.Big%20Smile

Thanks mikec.  Now if DS can hold onto their prices for just a couple more weeks.
mikec View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikec Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 1:50pm
Yes, you could overclock yourself if you wanted. Forum folks could help you out with that. It'd just take time to do.

Good luck
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 10:47pm
Let me clear some things up about the config mikec made.

disk space is no big deal, you can always add ssd/hdd anytime you like.

to go with the same 1TB of ode 1, its only like $30 bucks more.

you don't really lose anything on the mobo, sli option would be the only thing but I would not recommend the 800gs for sli anyways.

as far as case goes, I find both good looking, they both will perform the same pretty much.

internal chassis is $10.

but the gpu gain is good, cpu cooler is good IMHO.

but for the money they have made it hard to beat, but we are not crazy about the 800w gs and the cpu cooler and the 560.

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Jun 2011 at 10:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply