FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Me Pull the Trigger

Post Date: 2016-04-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zenlunatik View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zenlunatik Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help Me Pull the Trigger
    Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 5:27pm
Hi everyone,

I've been browsing here for what might be actual years, and have finally built up the determination and budget to make a purchase. The catch is I'm a total amateur, so I find that I'm still hesitating because I don't know how to confidently evaluate the options. These forums are very helpful, but I'd still appreciate any advice you experts care to dole out :]

Primarily wanting a gaming and media machine. I've been on a 2009 Macbook since, well, 2009 and have succumbed to PC envy. And that envy turns to lust on this site and so I'd like some second opinions before throwing all my money at pretty things.

Budget:
My build right now is at $2739. I'm feeling okay with that, though it's still a bit higher than I initially imagined. So I'd like to avoid too much of an increase unless absolutely necessary.

Expectations:
Nothing hardcore. Single display. I have a 4k tv that I'd like the option to hook up to every once in a while, but the primary screen will be a standard 1080p monitor.
Essentially, I don't want to be disappointed. I don't want to get a game and have to drop the settings, or feel obsolete or outdated anytime soon. And though it starts to seem like irony when I realize many of the games I'm enjoying now use pixel art, I'd still like to smirk arrogantly at the system reqs for the odd graphically demanding game I want (looking at you, Total War).
I also want something I can tinker with and upgrade over the long haul. That's one of the chief reasons I've been focused on the Apollo (other than liking its looks). I know the next gen of GPUs is not far off, so the ability to incorporate one of those in the future is definitely something I'm interested in. With that said, I made a very similar (to me) config on the Vanquish for about $600 cheaper, but aesthetics are worth a bit to me too.

Usage:
All the games, but particularly wanting something that can handle Total War (but casually, not all that interested in the 50,000-unit madness people get into), any Civ, Dota, maybe Battlefront, pretty much whatever I throw at it (remember, I'm coming from a 2009 MBP — I've had to turn a blind eye to most things that have come out in the last 10 years). I'd like to use the best possible settings in most cases. This will also stream tv and movies. Once VR turns into a thing, it would be nice to already be set up for it.

Special Needs:
Texas gets a little warm, but I don't believe I have any particularly special needs.

Saved Ticket #: 1400430

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (White)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

So: Is this overkill? Not good enough? Are there redundancies or missing parts? Those are basically the three questions I can't answer. Send your advice please or your stamp of approval and I'll click the button.

Edited by zenlunatik - 15 Apr 2016 at 5:28pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 5:43pm
personally, i'd rather drop down the vid card to a 970 for 1080p or spring for the 980ti for 2K resolution.  the 970 will max out your 1080p gaming needs and the 980ti will max out anything under 4K gaming.  you'll need 2 of those for 4K and beyond anyway.   the 980 is a "tweener" card that because of its price point isn't very "bang for your buck" efficient.  

regarding your 4k tv, it's either going to be outputting at either 30 or 60Hz depending on its capabilities.  if it's 30Hz forget about it.  your gaming experience will be better off just sticking to the 1080p monitor.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
zenlunatik View Drop Down

Quote zenlunatik Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:48am
thanks for the tips, db! just placed the order   
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:25am
Welcome to the DS family and congrats!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 3:20am
Awesome
 Post Reply Post Reply