FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Needed- Buying PC for Husband!

Post Date: 2017-12-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheHorseLady View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheHorseLady Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help Needed- Buying PC for Husband!
    Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 8:24am
New here, so sorry if there is a better place to put this...seemed like the right place...lol

Anyways,long story short I am trying to buy my husband a gaming desktop for Christmas. I am not very tech savy, so I would like to post the specs of computers within budget and if you could kindly tell me if it is worth it or if I would be better off passing.

I'm like your average woman in a mechanic's shop here lol out of my element, and don't want to over pay.

Currently he has a basic HP laptop that is about a year old. Not good at all for what he wants to do so a starter gaming pc is most definitely still an upgrade. A LOT of games he plays freeze up and/or crash his plain jane laptop constantly or he simply can't run them at all. He wants something that over time he can upgrade/customize but needs a decent starter. He wants a desktop, not a laptop.

So without further ado, here are some my options so far (all pre-owned)

1.) Priced at $300-Right around my budget of $350 (I know its not much as far as for buying a decent gaming pc but gotta start on the lower end of things here-horses are expensive to keep lol)

* Windows 10 installed 64 bit. 8GB ddr3 ram, amd duo core 2.9ghz, 780p logitech hd cam,250GB SSD with room for more HD's. radeon rx 560 GPU, wireless usb adapter and wireless controller. Comes with a steel series keyboard and Logitech g300 mouse. The Monitor is a 1080p vizio hd tv. The only reason I'm selling this and for so cheap is because i'm a new dad and don't have the time to play much anymore. To build this computer right now would cost you about 650$+ So no low ball offers plz.

2.) Priced at $400, slightly over budget but "doable"

*Gaming PC. Brand new case, still has protective plastic on front and side window.
Specs:
Custom CoolerMaster Masterbox 3.1 with Dark Mirror Front
Intel i7-4770 3.4Ghz
Asus B85M-E motherboard
16 GB memory
NVIDIA GT640
WD Blue 500 GB HDD
WD Green 1 TB storage HDD
400 W Seasonic PSU

Fresh, clean, Genuine Windows 10 installation with all updates. ISO, Windows Key and all drivers on storage HDD.

Memtest86 stress test 100% pass (see pics).

You will also receive an extra LED strip for further case mod. 2 SATA cables, a DVI monitor cable, and power cable as well as extra screws and case hardware. I will also add some wire loom if you want to further wrap individual wires for improved visuals.
PSU is wrapped, could be painted or wrapped in vinyl for more advanced look.

I will also throw in a Razor Mamba Tournament Edition which I no longer need. (See pics)

Nice system. Could be high end with just a video card upgrade.

3.) Priced at just shy of $300

Recommended for gamers getting started in the PC gaming industry
•GPU- Powercolor Radeon R7 250x 2GB GDDR5 (Worth about 50$)
•CPU- AMD FX-6300 Overclock to 3.99GHz(base clock 3.55GHz)(6-core processor)(Worth Approx. 80$)
•8 GB ADATA DDR3 Ram(Approx. 50$)
•Motherboard- MSI 760GM-P34(FX)(Approx. 45$)
•PSU- Stock 330 Watt PSU
•Storage- 1 640gb 7200RPM Western Digital Hard Drive(Worth Approx. 30$)
•CPU Cooler- Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo (Very little use, about 2 months use)
•Chassis- Cyberpower Stock PC Chassis
•4 Fans installed, 2 stock, 2 NZXT
•Windows 10 INSTALLED
•STOCK KEYBOARD AND MOUSE INCLUDED, VERY Little use on both, I had bought an aftermarket Keyboard and mouse before receiving the stock ones
•Aftermarket Red Lighting already installed inside
•8 Total USB 2.0 Ports, 6 On MOBO, 2 On top of chassis
Overall, this is a very basic starter PC that I had gotten for Christmas and upgraded a very small amount. It has about a year total of use. Graphics card and CPU are both overclocked, CPU OC is listed above but im not sure of the GPU OC at this time. Just looking to get rid of this in order to help buy a GTX1080ti for my newer PC build. Price is negotiable, the PC is fully useable, no issues whatsoever and essentially plug and play. For any beginner gamers out there looking to buy this but already intelligent on PCs, the case supports Micro ATX Motherboards and ITX ONLY. Up to 6 Fans Extra can be installed. 3 Are already installed, however the 3 extra spaces are blocked by the massive Hyper212 Evo. The Motherboard DOES support larger more powerful cards and Processors, however be weary about the size of the graphics card as the inside of the case is quite compact. Wire management is as clean and best that I can do with the style of case. PC Keeps very cool under load however all but one fan are silent. Graphics card is low end but can readily handle basic games. Processor is low-mid end but can handle surprisingly well with lots of games mostly due to the incredible overclock i pulled off with it. Overall, this PC is only recommended for Amateur PC players or anyone that doesn't play extremely graphics/processor intensive games like Battlefield or Crysis. I do recommend buying an extra hard drive for the PC as 640gb is not a ton, a 1TB Harddrive can be very cheap these days anyway. There is more play hours on the hard drive than the GPU and CPU, so be mindly of its lifespan.

Anything good?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 3:14pm
These types of pre-builts cime with issues and no warranty.

Forget 1, abd 3 IMHO.

2 is a possibility, oc settings are important not just the oc itself. The only good thing about 2 is cpu (still old tho), the hdds will go bad they are not good ones, psu us low so it won't allow upgrades and the gpu needs to be upgraded.

IMHO save more money, the way you get best bang-for-the-buck is to get a PC that is upgradable so you don't have to buy a new pc every 2-3 years none of these are it.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Dec 2017 at 3:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply