HELP !!!

Post Date: 2019-06-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
johndeniel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: HELP !!!
    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:00pm
I just got my new hard drive today and I messed up because I thought I have a free sata power cable left to use which is I don’t actually. Now I don’t know what type of cable I should buy and where do I connect that cable from :((
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:34pm
No worries.   Yes manufacturers scrimp on stuff like that, so you have to order a SATA III 6 gbps 18" Data Cable. A 3 pack might cost maybe $4-$10 on Newegg or Amazon. A BestBuy might have a SATA data cable in a store location for more $.

I believe you had earlier identified your Vanquish motherboard as an Asus H110M Mini ATX. If thats the correct board, it has a total of 4 SATA III 6gbps ports. SATA III #1 port is on the mobo's right edge just below the big 24 pin power plug ....#2, #3, and #4 ports are bottom of the mobo edge and clearly labeled.

You will pick one of the unused SATA III ports to connect the cable to your new drive. Hope that helps!

Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

No worries.   Yes manufacturers scrimp on stuff like that, so you have to order a SATA III 6 gbps 18" Data Cable. A 3 pack might cost maybe $4-$10 on Newegg or Amazon. A BestBuy might have a SATA data cable in a store location for more $.

I believe you had earlier identified your Vanquish motherboard as an Asus H110M Mini ATX. If thats the correct board, it has a total of 4 SATA III 6gbps ports. SATA III #1 port is on the mobo's right edge just below the big 24 pin power plug ....#2, #3, and #4 ports are bottom of the mobo edge and clearly labeled.

You will pick one of the unused SATA III ports to connect the cable to your new drive. Hope that helps!

Hi thanks for responding but just to be clear that I already have a sata data cable ready. All I need is a sata power cable to run the hard drive. Now I'm asking which type of sata power cable should I buy because the one's on the back panel of my pc is a pigtailed sata power connector which is a split but won't reach the hard drive at all. I'm wondering if I should buy a sata power extension cable or is there something else that you would suggest because I don't really know what im doing right now
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 6:47am
I get it. You should feel free to snip any zip ties that help manage your wiring harness. That may give you enough slack in one of the available power plugs to use it. I would be surprised if you only had one. If not, an extender may be needed, but you should have no worries about overtaxing the available power from your wiring. If you're using an SSD, the power needed is miniscule, and if an HDD, it's still quite small.

Additionally, you could check the back of your motherboard for a convenient slot or two the right size for a 2.5 inch SSD. Some mobos are including those, which brings the SSD closer to the SATA ports, and to the wiring harness. I have doubts about a micro-ATX, though.

Lastly, if you have one of the modular PSUs, there should be an extra SATA power cord included in your parts kit.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Cretae

I get it. You should feel free to snip any zip ties that help manage your wiring harness. That may give you enough slack in one of the available power plugs to use it. I would be surprised if you only had one. If not, an extender may be needed, but you should have no worries about overtaxing the available power from your wiring. If you're using an SSD, the power needed is miniscule, and if an HDD, it's still quite small.

Additionally, you could check the back of your motherboard for a convenient slot or two the right size for a 2.5 inch SSD. Some mobos are including those, which brings the SSD closer to the SATA ports, and to the wiring harness. I have doubts about a micro-ATX, though.

Lastly, if you have one of the modular PSUs, there should be an extra SATA power cord included in your parts kit.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Hello it's me again. So finally, an update. I successfully added a 3tb hard drive to my vanquish rig and it worked out pretty well and easy. I bought a sata power extension cable from amazon and hooked it up on of one the free sata power cables hanging around and connected it to hard drive. Formatted the disk and boom. I have a new hdd installed with ease. Thank you so much for all the responses that I got. Really helped me a lot. Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply