FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Identified faulty RAM stick, how proceed remaining

Post Date: 2022-04-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
betens View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote betens Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Identified faulty RAM stick, how proceed remaining
    Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 8:06am
I ran 4x8 GB of ram, I have identified one stick is dodgy so for now I'm back on dual channel.

This leaves me with one stick of good ram left outside of my system. Should I just stick it into one of the slots or is it best to stick with standard dual channel? (on Ryzen 5600x)
https://omegle.onl/ https://vshare.onl/
Also the ram I'm using doesnt seem to be available for purchase as single channel, how bad is it to go for something that is just pretty close but not identical to the rest of the sticks in my system?

Edited by betens - 18 May 2022 at 5:45am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 11:21am
The ram stick isn’t dual channel or quad channel. Ram is ram.    The motherboard determines what bandwidth, dual vs quad. A dual channel ram motherboard needs 2 sticks in the appropriate slots for the dual, and a quad channel motherboard needs 4 sticks in the right slots. If you have a dual channel motherboard with 4 sticks of ram, you still have a dual channel setup, just more ram.   If your mobo is quad channel and you only have 3 ram sticks, it reverts to dual channel.

Any compatible ram can be used to get a dual or quad channel setup.

Go to Crucial.com and use their memory identification to get an idea what ram is compatible, meaning speed, latency, etc.   You can buy somewhere else , but this gives you ideas.

Hope this helps.

Pretty sure your processor/ mobo combo is dual channel.   4 ram sticks doesn’t make it quad channel.   

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Apr 2022 at 11:24am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2022 at 12:07pm
i've read that Ryzen has some latency issues and runs better with 2 sticks than 4.  but i really think it comes down to the mobo, as has already been said.  i'd suggest you look on your manufacturer's website for your particular board and see if there any firmware/bios updates and if so, be very careful to follow the updating directions so you don't brick your mobo with a firmware/bios update.  many of these modern boards allow to flash the bios w/o even needing a cpu/memory in the pc at the time, which makes it safer. 

Edited by db188 - 15 May 2022 at 12:10pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 2800MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Intel 750 400GB PCIE-NVMe
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
2xSLI Asus GTX 980ti Strix
Windows 10Pro
 Post Reply Post Reply