FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looks like it's that time again

Post Date: 2016-05-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
theletterT View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote theletterT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looks like it's that time again
    Posted: 14 May 2016 at 8:37am
My old computer popped a cooling fin on the motherboard and considering it was a purchase from here that lasted 8 years with occasional part swaps, I thought I'd get another one. Leaning towards a level 3 Vanquish or some variation on the Slade.

Budget: 1600 USD(I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. I'll need a wireless network card but in a pinch I can salvage from my old system.)

Expecations: VR Compatibility. Playing games like Warframe, Guild Wars 2 at 1920x1080 with high or maxed out settings. Respectable performance/Settings on games like Dark Souls 3/The Witcher 3 at 1920x1080. Presumably something that can handle that can handle web surfing/occasional web development stuff just fine. I am not particularly concerned with overclocking.

Special Needs: My room is somewhat questionably ventilated/dust susceptible with my door shut. The Slade's filters are likely to help with the second issue but I'm not sure if the first will cause problems with air cooling. I'm leaning towards a higher end processor due to my phobia of messing up an installation process there with such expensive components and wanting to future proof.

The Vanquish level 3 as stock with the network card seems fine if I go that route, so I thought I'd post my idea of a Slade configuration for discussion. 

Also, how does power supply performance degrade over time? Is it beneficial to get a 750W Supply and have margin for degradation that way?

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Carbide Quiet 400Q
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700 3.4GHz (Codename Skylake) (Quad Core) (Not Overclockable) <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-K (Intel Z170 Chipset) (No SLI Support) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 600W EVGA <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Digital Storm Certified Performance Series) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate / Western Digital / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E ASUS PCE-N53 (Dual Band Performance) (Supports 802.11n/g/b) <br><strong></strong>
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High-Performance Copper Heat Pipe Cooler <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2016 at 1:37pm
Hi theletterT.... Not sure what the Slade cost came out to, but both that and the Vanquish level 3 are identical in performance, can't sli or overclock the CPU.   

The Slade does give you more options, like going with the EVGA 750watt psu, not the B1, the other. More overhead for the future and a better efficiency supply with twice the warranty.   

Psu's do degrade over time, but not huge and does take years.   The 600 watt will do it, but the 750watt gives me more piece of mind. I've been using a 600 watt for 5 years, well 2 of them, one died, with a gtx 570 and now a 970, so up to you.

Unless you like the Slade case better , if the Vanquish is a lot cheaper, I'd go that route if budget is tight.   

Lots of personal choice here, but either one gets the job done.

Hope this helps.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2016 at 2:02pm
If I checked it right, the Slade is over $100 more than the Vanquish level 3 and gives you a smaller psu and an SSD that is half the capacity and no internal lighting.   Being a closed case, the Slade wouldn't benefit from the lighting, however.     Bang for your buck is the Vanquish.   Slade gives you many more options but will cost more.

Edited by bprat22 - 14 May 2016 at 2:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply