Post Date: 2016-08-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Indycohiba View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Indycohiba Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Motherboard and OC'ing
    Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 11:12am
I am lookly at a highend gaming build with i6700 CPU, Titan X Pascal 12GB and Hydolux Pro Exotic LC CPU and GPU. My question relates to the motherboard. I have read many negative customer reviews at other sites of the Asus mobo's in terms of BIOS updates, drivers, hardware failures, etc. Should I stay away from ASUS mobo entirely and ask DS to source another one instead such as MSI? If Asus is the best option, should I buy the Maximus Extreme or Hero for a highly overclocked CPU. I plan to have DS perform the 4.8 GHz OC so do not think I will use most of the Extreme's OC features and I plan to use the DS thermal control fan for the RGB lighting so am not sure how much redundancy there is there around temp. monitoring etc. Other than the loss of Wifi are there any other reasons not to go with the Hero? Mainly worried that the Hero is not as stable as the Extreme and that it will prematurely fail.

Also, I would like to OC the Titan X. Will DS perform a robust OC when I select that option or will I need to further tweak the GPU OC?

Lastly, I plan to use the Samsung 512GB 950 PCI NVMe for my boot drive and games storage. And I plan to use a 1 TB 850 EVO SSD for my additional storage needs. Should I buy the 2X option and put it in RAID or just back up to an external HDD which is what I currently do on my iMac? Storage is mainly used for photos, home movies, music, etc. If I setup RAID can I at a later date take it out of RAID and repurpose the second SSD for additional storage or will I always be locked into a RAID configuration on the two SSD's?

Thanks for the help.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:47pm
I would go evga if not asus.

However DS will test the system and oc and to make sure you are ok.

The deluxe should be good or extreme those specially extreme are suppose to be asus top mobos.

The 4.8 OC may have a high vcore so be prepared to have a high vcore or change the oc yourself.

What res are you gonna be gaming at?

Temp monitoring is most accurate with free software.

DS does not do extreme oc on gpu but that is easy and we can do that ourselves.

In raid you have to keep both files, in raid 0 if you lose the raid or a drive you lose all data, but in raid 1 if you lose the array you lose data but if one drive fails you just replace the other drive.

raid 0 = 2 drives operate as one for higher speeds

raid 1 = 2 drives operate separate where one drive mirrors the other drive. no speed gain here.

Now if you are asking if your os is in a raid 0, can you remove of drive and move on? the answer is no, you are locked in the raid till you change that, with a new install or a possibly clone.(depending)

IF the raid would not have os and was just for storage then you just copy the files onto a single drive, break the raid and use both drives separately after format and etc.

We normally advise you to keep fast os drive and a slower but bigger hdd for storage as second drive. However with ssd now coming in bigger sizes,you can get one big ssd drive and store all on there. If you need 1TB for storage outside of the os drive then get both ssds.

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 10:06pm
Indycohiba View Drop Down

Quote Indycohiba Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 6:03pm
Thanks for the help. I plan to use an Ultrawide for now, but I want the ability to go with a 4K monitor when the higher frequency ones come out. Sounds like I may to be too aggressive using a 4.8 GHz OC. I think I will just select the 4.4 option instead.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:33pm
You can push the oc these days real easy with software base stuff just a few notches, We have people here on the forum with 4.5GHz - 4.6GHz on air but they all adjusted the oc themselves, nowadays ocing has become much easier than it was in the old days. You are on an open loop lc with good parts so heat is not going to be a barrier for you.

Having said that set your plans to oc the gpu yourself aggressively since 1. titan leaves a lot on the table wtih air and low oc, you have lc so see how far you can push that baby. 2. for 4k you gonna want a little more out of a stock titan, so again you want to oc a good amount here.

Now your system can hold sli titan if you need it to, but you would either have to go air on the second one or buy and add a block to the second one yourself and put it in the loop.

If some of that sounds gibberish to you, just I will explain its all really easy it just sounds complicated

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 9:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply