FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Motherboard red light+no hard drive found for boot

Post Date: 2021-05-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CariceHouten View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CariceHouten Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Motherboard red light+no hard drive found for boot
    Posted: 31 May 2021 at 10:01pm
So I was cleaning the dust out of the pc I built (it’s only a couple years old with really good hardware) and when I started my computer up it said no hardrive found on reboot. So I went to my bios and saw that the SSD is there (I have kali Linux installed on there that boots fine) but the main hard drive is not even listed on the boot menu but it was and has always been the first priority. It’s not listed anywhere like it totally disappeared. The motherboard light is also red and I checked for any loose plugs. Could it be I messed up the harddrive I’ve while I was cleaning? I just used the compressed spray can to clean dust and a damp cloth to white it from the bottom and fans but never touched that on the hardware. What do I do??? Please help. https://tweakbox.mobi/https://getappvalley.com/

Edited by CariceHouten - 05 Jun 2021 at 2:18am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 4:30am
Obviously check the power and SATA connections from your drive to the motherboard to asure they are firmly connected. If that doesn't help, try this:

(From the good folks at PC Gamer)

"Brace yourself. It’s possible that yes, you’re screwed. But it’s also possible that you’re experiencing a fairly common issue with SSDs. Sometimes they’re caught off guard by a sudden power loss and don’t have time to properly discharge, or shut down, according to their firmware protocol. It’s during this stage where, depending on that lovely (or not) firmware protocol, your drive lives or dies.

We’re not completely clear on the process that causes an SSD to ‘disappear’ because it’s going to vary with each manufacturer and the conditions in which it was being used during power loss, but if you’re lucky, giving your SSD a quick power cycle ought to bring it back to life with all your files intact.

Be sure to check your specific hardware manufacturer for their specific guidelines if they exist, but in general, power cycling works as follows:

Crack open your PC and remove the SATA data connection from your SSD, but leave the power in.
Turn on your PC and leave it idling for 30-60 minutes.
Turn off your PC and remove unplug the power from the SSD for at least 30 seconds.
Now you can either repeat steps 2 and 3 (as many times as makes you feel OK) or plug everything back in and try to boot your PC normally.
If it doesn’t work, be sure to give it another shot—perhaps a few cycles with longer wait times—before losing hope. But if your SSD does come back to life, congratulations! Hold up though, you’re not out of the woods quite yet. Be sure to check the integrity of your drive before moving on. Type “chkdsk” in Command Prompt (running as administrator) for a quick look at your file system integrity, and if your SSD came with any proprietary management software, there are often built-in tools for monitoring its health. Sudden power loss can still result in damage to your SSD, even if it seems healthy."

I read this in several places, so it's not a shot in the dark. Hope it helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply