FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with a gaming rig

Post Date: 2016-08-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Den3323 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Den3323 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need help with a gaming rig
    Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 5:07pm
Budget:
[3000-4000ish]

Expectations:
My expectations are literally to be able to play this thing for the next 3-4 years on high resolution for all the new games. As of now, I want to know that I can play all the oculus rift stuff along with star citizen on this thing for the foreseeable future. Very simple but yet I do want good performance without fear of having to upgrade soon.

Saved Ticket #: 1476887

This is what I came up with, as I do like the look of the Apollo. Definitely would like suggestions as I'm very unsure of my build.

Thanks
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 5:19pm
After looking at your build I have to give you a big NO.

I can spend your money better than that so you get more power, problem is I need more info boss.

first what resolution are you trying to play at? this is the most important info for gaming, it will let us know exactly what kind of power you need.

for VR you may want to look at a single stronger card, if you want sli for vr I would go to the x99 platform cause vr needs x16 full speed from what I have read. but you don't need sli for vr. Right now there are only 2 games that 1080 can't max out and that is the funhouse from nvidia and starwars.

are you ready to work on that lc system? you will have to. things go wrong and then there is also maintenance.But if you are ok with that then go for it.

so if you can tell me the res you want to play your games and also if you are ok with working on lc.

Keep in mind no matter what you get as far as gpu, in 2 to 3 years you will have to upgrade it if you want to max out games. Otherwise look at sli 670 and tell me how it does today.

gaming only needs 16GB to be future proof, do you have need for 32GB for something else?

Edited by DST4ME - 23 Aug 2016 at 5:21pm
Den3323 View Drop Down

Quote Den3323 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 5:49pm
Good thing I asked. No, I don't need the 32gb for anything else, this is strictly for gaming.
The resolution I'd like to be able to pull of is definitely 1440. 4K is not something I'd need.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 6:12pm
Ok that info helps a lot.

for that res I would go with a 1070 to max games out, but for vr I would go single 1080, which will max out anything at 1440p and should do well with vr also.

In 2 years update the gpu on this build to a new gpu and you will be maxing out games again, and since its on air, changing the gpu is both easy and cheap, since you don't have to buy a new gpu and waterblock and then put the block on gpu and then add it to the lc loop. On air all you have to do is take out the old gpu and put in the new one, done.

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page
Den3323 View Drop Down

Quote Den3323 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 6:35pm
Awesome, appreciate the help
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 6:51pm
My pleasure

bit of info, the warranty is 3 year part and 1 year labor, if you want higher part warranty raise the warranty level to the desired level.

don't install mcafee, get your own anti virus and firewall. I use eset myself, there are other good ones that are much better than mcafee.

in 2 years or so upgrade the 1080 and you will be good to go for another 2 to 3 years. After about 4 to 6 years, its time to buy a new pc if budget allows, if not then upgrade the gpu, one has to play whatever hands they were dealt and there is nothing wrong with that

You have anymore questions let us know

Edited by DST4ME - 23 Aug 2016 at 6:51pm
Den3323 View Drop Down

Quote Den3323 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 11:21am
another question, what monitor and keyboard/mouse combo would you recommend here?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:08pm
I would recommend you get that stuff on amazon or newegg since you should get better prices there.

At 1440p the guys around here seem to like the Acer Predator x34. Not sure what to tell you about keyboard and etc try posting in the hardware section of the forums plus there should be some threads on the subject there already.
ST7A Bad Karma View Drop Down

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:18pm
I'm wanting to buy a second rig from DS and I'm doing my homework again.

As far as the recommended processor listed above, i don't see any 4.0 GHz processors available for any builds. 3.6 GHz is the highest. My current rig is the 3.2 GHz version and any issues I've ever had are due to my processor.

Edited by ST7A Bad Karma - 27 Aug 2016 at 9:21pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by ST7A Bad Karma

I'm wanting to buy a second rig from DS and I'm doing my homework again.

As far as the recommended processor listed above, i don't see any 4.0 GHz processors available for any builds. 3.6 GHz is the highest. My current rig is the 3.2 GHz version and any issues I've ever had are due to my processor.

not sure what you are referring to or what you mean.

the 6700k's base clock is 4.0GHz

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Ok that info helps a lot.

for that res I would go with a 1070 to max games out, but for vr I would go single 1080, which will max out anything at 1440p and should do well with vr also.

In 2 years update the gpu on this build to a new gpu and you will be maxing out games again, and since its on air, changing the gpu is both easy and cheap, since you don't have to buy a new gpu and waterblock and then put the block on gpu and then add it to the lc loop. On air all you have to do is take out the old gpu and put in the new one, done.

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

The processor recommended in this build is not currently available.

/../

Edited by ST7A Bad Karma - 27 Aug 2016 at 9:34pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:36pm
Are you saying DS told you that the 6700k is out of stock right now?

they didn't tell us nothing if that is the case, and I don't see why they would not have it.

Quote ST7A Bad Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:40pm
Just messing around with the system Configurator on the main website, there are no processors that go above 3.6 GHz and the 6700 is not an available option.

If there's a list of hardware options not currently showing up on the configurator, where might one access this list?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:48pm
@ST7A Bad Karma, please open your own thread, I'm not sure where or what you are looking at but open your own thread and let us know what your pc is used for and then I can help you.

The 6700k is available

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Aug 2016 at 9:48pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 3:45am
Hi Den3323,

That is one real nice system DST4ME came up withAwesome.
 Post Reply Post Reply