FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help with my Art/Gaming config [Aventum 3]

Post Date: 2016-06-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jrawr View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jrawr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Need Help with my Art/Gaming config [Aventum 3]
    Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 12:15pm
Budget:
[$8500]

Expectations:
- Running a couple 3d software packages without experiencing lag so intense in Photoshop that it prevents me from getting work done. Decreased 3d rendering times. Run games on ultra high settings. Upgradable. Overall increased productivity. To sum it up: An extremely fast and reliable pc that can keep up with me.. AND some. Lol

Usage:
- Design, illustration, 2d/3d animation, 3d sculpting/modeling/rendering, sound/video editing, music production

Special Needs:
- 1 Gaming Monitor recommendation of at least 32".
- Wireless headphones: (I've been thinking about getting the V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphones). If anyone has experience with great/reliable wireless headphones with good range, please let me know. I'm willing to spend a little more if it's worth it.

I currently have a BenQ BL3200PT, a Wacom Cintiq 27qhd used for work and an old 23" LG monitor I'd like to replace. I use the Cintiq and BenQ for checking color/reference/work and would like a monitor suitable for high fps gaming. If my current BenQ is fine let me know and I'll just buy an identical BenQ. Though several options would be nice. I bought a Samsung UN65JS9000 65-inch Smart 4K UHD LED TV last year that I use to stream via wifi/plus connected to my pc via hdmi. Can't wait to game with a great rig since I'll also be able to utilize the display ports of my monitors.

Saved Ticket #: [1439690]

Please let me know if anything could use changing. I'd like the best I can get out of my budget. Unless spending a little more will make a noticeable difference, I'd like to stay within my budget. Thanks!

Specifications:

Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (8-Core) (Extreme Performance) (I have no idea what to choose here.)

Motherboard: ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Workstation Class) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)</strong>

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)

Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)

Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 850 EVO)

Storage Set 2: 2x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition) (Planning on installing a few sata drives I currently use in docking stations along with these and manually backup important files.)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics Cards: 2x Dual (GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (VR Ready) (I've read on the forums here about waiting for the 1080ti. Should I? Or is the 980ti sli good for my needs?)

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR (Ultimate in Audio Playback and Creation)

Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)

HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)

HydroLux Fluid Color: White Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)

Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)

Chassis Fans: Thermaltake Riing RGB Fans (Up to 6 Fans)

Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)

Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software

Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking

Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)

Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty (6 Year Labor & 4 Year Part Replacement)

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 3:27pm
For your gaming you want sli 1080 for 1440p.

Change your Boost Processor to stage 1

is 32GB enough for your work?

are not better off with the 10 core cpu?

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Jun 2016 at 3:27pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 3:29pm
let me address the "gaming" monitor first.  that BenQ is a very nice monitor, but not so much for gaming-it's too slow.   if you are steadfast on a 30"+ monitor, i might suggest the Acer Z35 Ultra Wide.  it's a VA panel, which means deeper blacks and no "IPS Glow", and interestingly enough much faster than VA panels are known for.  it claims to run at 144Hz native (overclockable to 200Hz); however, TFT Central noticed smearing and some bad transitions over 120Hz (which is still quite fast and more than adequate for gaming).  it has a lot of features (G-Sync, ULMB, etc.).  read the full review here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_z35.htm

i've personally gamed on Asus 23" 1080p 120Hz monitors for 5 years now.  i recently tried an Acer 4K IPS@60Hz (too slow for my taste), an Asus 34" Ultra Wide (60Hz native/100Hz overclocked) that had issues with the overdrive and just wasn't there yet, and i've finally settled in on an Acer Predator HK271HU 27" IPS w/G-Sync (144Hz native/165Hz overclocked).  so far, i love this screen.  it's fast (i keep it at the native refresh of 144Hz), well built, no back light bleed, no stuck/dead pixels, viewing angles are great, contrast is ok for an IPS and there is that slightly noticeable "glow". 

the HEDT Intel procs are a great choice for productivity and gaming.  32GB of system memory is the lowest amount i'd recommend for your usage.  considering you get Titan X performance out of a GTX 1070 (for almost $600 less), yeah, i'd wait for a Pascal card, and that Pascal card would be a non-reference model from a partner vendor like EVGA.  i'd also put that card under water or at least go with said partner vendor's custom air cooler, because these Pascal cards don't overclock at all well with the Nvidia stock cooler on them.   they aren't going to have a large oc'ing range anyway, but at least they won't thermally throttle.   as for waiting on the "Ti or Titan" versions of these cards, that's up to you but be prepared to wait quite a while (9 mos at least i'm guessing). 

an onboard sound card can be problematic with drivers and such (i output my own to ODAC+amp+phones).  that being said, i'd get a high end Asus model myself.  

i would replace that primary storage ssd from the EVO to PRO.  you get double the warranty and a little more performance and better endurance out of the PRO.  have you considered a pcie nvme drive?  much, much faster.  i've got the intel 750 in my rig.  extremely fast level loading in games.  

Edited by db188 - 21 Jun 2016 at 3:32pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 3:36pm
<$500 more, but here is a better configuration:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1439930

Chassis
Chassis Model: Aventum 3 (BACKORDERED ETA Early August)
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 6950X 3.0GHz (10-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) (RGB Lighting)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (1.2TB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)

Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)

Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

The GTX 1080 graphics will actually out-perform the GTX Titan X cards in most cases. The i7-6950X is the newest 10-core monster from Intel and your photo-editing software can take advantage of it. It is expensive, but it seems to fit in your budget. For storage, I removed the 4TB HDDs...there are 4TB SSDs coming out soon and the Aventum has pre-wired draws you can easily add storage with. But in the meanwhile, I put in the fastest storage options on the market, which should noticeably improve the system boot time, as well as drastically improve loading and saving times for images and such. Drop the sound card...on-board audio is pretty much just as good. If you want the best audio, connect your system up to an A/V receiver with HDMI.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by 

<$500 more, but here is a better configuration:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1439930

Chassis
Chassis Model: Aventum 3 (BACKORDERED ETA Early August)
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 6950X 3.0GHz (10-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices) (RGB Lighting)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (1.2TB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

The GTX 1080 graphics will actually out-perform the GTX Titan X cards in most cases. The i7-6950X is the newest 10-core monster from Intel and your photo-editing software can take advantage of it. It is expensive, but it seems to fit in your budget. For storage, I removed the 4TB HDDs...there are 4TB SSDs coming out soon and the Aventum has pre-wired draws you can easily add storage with. But in the meanwhile, I put in the fastest storage options on the market, which should noticeably improve the system boot time, as well as drastically improve loading and saving times for images and such. Drop the sound card...on-board audio is pretty much just as good. If you want the best audio, connect your system up to an A/V receiver with HDMI.

that is the kind of build I had in mind but with more ram.
jrawr View Drop Down

Quote jrawr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 8:39pm
Thanks DST4ME db188 and . This is helpful. Doing what you guys mentioned and also waiting for the Pascal card seems like a good idea.

64gb ram, still look.. but consider getting a monitor smaller than 32" for gaming, stick with onboard audio, better motherboard and processor and switch to the samsung pro plus get the pci-e ssd. That seems to cover everything.

Is the 1000w power supply all that's necessary? After making the adjustments and waiting for the Pascal card?

db188, the Acer Z35 Ultra Wide's price is killing me lol. It looks and sounds great though. I'll have a little time to save up more so if nothing else comes up I might end up getting it. I can't wait to finish my workstation!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 8:54pm
For sli and oc and load you gonna put on the system the 1000w is the best idea.

I myself am an IPS monitor type myself for better image quality but the good ones don't come in any faster then 60Hz.
jrawr View Drop Down

Quote jrawr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 4:06am
Originally posted by DST4ME

For sli and oc and load you gonna put on the system the 1000w is the best idea.

I myself am an IPS monitor type myself for better image quality but the good ones don't come in any faster then 60Hz.

Ok, thanks.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 5:48am
My pleasure and good luck
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by jrawr

Thanks DST4ME db188 and . This is helpful. Doing what you guys mentioned and also waiting for the Pascal card seems like a good idea.

64gb ram, still look.. but consider getting a monitor smaller than 32" for gaming, stick with onboard audio, better motherboard and processor and switch to the samsung pro plus get the pci-e ssd. That seems to cover everything.

Is the 1000w power supply all that's necessary? After making the adjustments and waiting for the Pascal card?

db188, the Acer Z35 Ultra Wide's price is killing me lol. It looks and sounds great though. I'll have a little time to save up more so if nothing else comes up I might end up getting it. I can't wait to finish my workstation!
welcome to the "high end" brotherBig%20Smile
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply