FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Comp, 2k budget

Post Date: 2017-12-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Syncaine View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Syncaine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New Comp, 2k budget
    Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 10:55am
Budget: 2000 or close to it

Expectations: Gaming at 3440x1440, ideally on max settings

Usage: Games.

Special Needs: Unless someone can convince me, I prefer a single larger SSD setup over a smaller SSD and a large standard drive. I've always found two HD harder to deal with in terms of where games are located and once you start modding them. Again perhaps I can be convinced this is a non-issue now?

I've also got a 1080GTX in my current DS PC, which I can take out and put a 1060 in (wife will be using the older PC, mostly for LoL gaming at 1900x1200, so no need for a 1080). Would DS test/configure a PC with a 1080, then take it out and put a 1060 in prior to shipping, so I could switch the cards before booting up the new machine?

Also thoughts on 16 vs 32 gigs of RAM? Is 16 fine for now, and 32 can be added later, or is 32 going to result in higher FPS right now for games like PUBG and TW:War2?

Saved Ticket #: 1796361
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 2:11pm
You could take a look at this: Config #1796468. $2130. About as close as I could get you. Shipping is free on the sale, so you save that.The lighting is free right now on promo, so if you like. You get a quality 1 TB SSD for primary drive. No need for more than 16GB of ram for gaming. I set you up with a 1060. I don't really see any need for DS setting up/testing your rig with a 1080 as they will not be able to test your card. Video cards almost never mess up a config, and the card you're actually buying is the one you want to test, anyway, IMHO. You already know yours works.      
I think this setup is close to yours, but has some upgrades in quality of parts you might consider. Top end cooler comes highly recommended. I saved you some on the case, but up to you.

Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
Syncaine View Drop Down

Quote Syncaine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 4:53pm
That setup looks real nice, thank you. Any reason not to get the free CPU boost?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 6:01pm
Not my expertise. I do know that the real experts here are inclined to discourage the DS overclock. It seems DS can sometimes be a little aggressive with the core voltage settings which are crucial for CPU longevity. These Skylake series procs run hotter than the older ones because Intel stopped soldering the heat spreader to the die, using thermal paste instead.

I'm guessing here, but my sense is that aggressively overclocking this class of procs can cause heat issues due to inconsistencies with the thermal paste. (Google "delidding" for more info.)The braintrust among the posters here advise us to overclock our own, which is vastly easier to do than it used to be. Be patient, I'm sure someone will be along soon enough to explain better.

BTW, I wasn't sure, so I did research that the 8700K in my build is a much better proc than the 7800X.
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 2:11am
Couple of small changes:

Ticket Number: 1796910

As mentioned:

More ram won't make a difference to your fps, oc the cpu yourself, we can get you going if you need it, you will endup with better settings, otherwise you can end up with high vcore.

You can use your own parts but DS won't test or warranty it, visit my gpu guide to see how to change gpu if you need a guide. This config can handle a 1080ti or titan if it needed to, so putting a 1080gtx should have no effect. (Great idea with the gpu switch btw )

Boot up the machine when you get it and use it as is for one month to make shipping didn't damage anything, and then switch gpus. (remember you have 45 days to return it to be fixed if it got damaged during shipping.)

Edited by DST4ME - 11 Dec 2017 at 2:13am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 7:17am
DST4ME, a couple of quick questions if you don't mind. Did I get it right that heat is the main concern?

What do you consider to be a safe Vcore value on an 8700K?

I know when I got my system in 2010, the safe OC from DS was highly recommended. I was delighted when they Oc'd my proc to 3.81Ghz (36%). I have never had an issue with this processor in over 7 years, so it has proven entirely safe, and probably key to the longevity of my system. I would be very interested in your analysis of what has changed.
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
Syncaine View Drop Down

Quote Syncaine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 7:58am
Originally posted by DST4ME

Couple of small changes:

Ticket Number: 1796910

Is that SSD, which is smaller, picked over the 1TB one because its faster or higher quality? I think 500gb would work for me, but it might require uninstalling more games over the 1TB. Not a deal-breaker, but 1TB was nice. That said if the 500gb has higher performance over the 1TB, I'd go with that.

The different power supply, same idea as above? If the 600 can handle a 1080, wouldn't that be enough? I have no plans to use SLI as I've had bad experiences with it in the past, and I generally don't see value in it for the cost. I know a larger power supply helps future-proof in case the next video card I put in needs more than 600, but isn't that somewhat unlikely based on history?

I'm still a bit weary on overclocking the CPU myself vs having DS do it (especially for free), only because I'd hate to do something dumb and fry it, or set it up in a way that's worse than what DS will do. Just seems odd to me that a pro shop like DS would do a less ideal job in that area than an amateur like myself.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 1:01pm
That SSD is the top of Samsung's line, and it's plugged into the mobo, so it's much faster. If the space isn't an issue, that's the best 500 gigs you can get here. I picked a SATA SSD for the price per gig since it was going to be your only drive for a while. You can always add more storage later, it's the easiest upgrade you can do.

I would prefer the 750W if you can afford it. It also is better quality, more dependable and it's modular, meaning the cables aren't hardwired to the PSU.

I tend to agree with you on the OC issue, especially with mild OC. That's why I asked those questions above. I can do it myself, I think (though I never have), but I LOVE *free* and I'd rather game than run benchmarks!

Edited by Cretae - 11 Dec 2017 at 1:05pm
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 12:43am
The ssd is the fastest and helps improve overall performance.

You can always add a sata ssd easily if needed.

The psu has better warranty, quality, power and is modular. Warranty and quality needs no explanation, more power = less stress on psu = longer life for psu. Modular makes it very easy to deal with fix/change/etc.

You guys are not understanding what we are saying, if you want to put more stress on your cpu than is needed because it is free, then go ahead and choose DS oc, if you like to get the most out of your oc with least amount of stress then do it yourselves and let us help you. Ocing is not like the old days, it is very simple and you have to go out of your way to mess it up. All you have to do is go to bios, set voltage to something around 1.26 and the go to the multiplier and move it up couple of clicks.

So say your cpu is at 3.7GHz, you simply set vcore to 1.26 let's say, then move multiplier from 37 to 39,(3.9ghz) save bios reboot, upon reboot keep eye on temps and see if pc crashes or if cpu temperature gets above 80c, then you put the cpu under stress for an hour and see if temps hold and no crash, if yes to both, go back to bios and take multiplier up 2 more ticks to 41, you are now at 4.1ghz oc, reboot pc again test for couple of hours, if that holds go to bios again and take it to 43 multiplier (4.3ghz oc) test again if it holds either move up or stay. If you stay slowly lower vcore till your system crashes, that tells you that the last click that didn't crash was the lowest vcore you can have at 4.3ghz.

No matter what you do when you get to the oc you want test your oc for 24 hrs to insure stability and proper temps.

If while moving multiplier oc crashes that means voltage is too low for that oc, Also stay below 1.3 vcore for best results.

This way you end up with least stress.

For gaming oc of 4.2ghz is all you need.

There is an automatic feature in the bios that allows you to do an auto oc, this feature uses high vcore that is not good for cpu, all stage 1 oc is, is this auto oc feature.

It takes longer to explain then it is to do.

Hope that clears it up, we are customers just like you here supporting a builder we like by making sure other customers get the best deal and experience for their money, if we tell you something, trust us it is to help, even if it doesn't make sense at the time.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Dec 2017 at 12:48am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 5:04am
Hope that clears it up, we are customers just like you here supporting a builder we like by making sure other customers get the best deal and experience for their money, if we tell you something, trust us it is to help, even if it doesn't make sense at the time. [/QUOTE]

DST4ME, Thanks for taking the time for all that.

We trust you, I'm just an information hog. You explained perfectly why DIY is the better route. In fact, I have known to trust you so well over the years, I removed the free OC from my recent build without hesitation.

Sorry to be such a fawning fanboy all the time, but your loyalty to these forums is phenomenal. As I said elsewhere recently, I'm 69. Been around the block. (Allows me to pontificate and philosophize, dadgummit!) The amount of knowledge you possess and the research you do to make sure you're 100% right is remarkable in its own right; but what truly sets you as the authority I see you as is your tireless willingness to share for the benefit of all who come here.

If I didn't want to know, I wouldn't ask. If you didn't care, you wouldn't tell. It's my privilege.

A shout out to all the forum members esp. Veterans and Elite who also share their time and expertise. You make it worth coming here. DS is as lucky to have you as we are to have them. You honor us, the company and our hobby.   

Edited by Cretae - 12 Dec 2017 at 10:10am
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 5:46am
This forum is very active and alive. Check other builders. The members are what make DS the company you will come back to for future and continuing purchases.  AwesomeBig%20Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 5:52am
Amen, Brother!
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 11:35am
Thank you for the kind words, but it really is a team effort, bprat22, db188, and others deserves a lot of credit also plus others, we have a great team of customers here helping everyone.

We love passing info so you guys ask as many questions as you like
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 1:24pm
Absolutely right. It's a great team to be on!
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 3:04pm
Syncaine View Drop Down

Quote Syncaine Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 7:48am

"There is an automatic feature in the bios that allows you to do an auto oc, this feature uses high vcore that is not good for cpu, all stage 1 oc is, is this auto oc feature."

Has DS confirmed this? Seems kinda shady to normally charge for something that is so automatic. Especially if OC the right way is as easy as you say (I'm sure you are right), why doesn't DS do it that way?

A large reason I buy from DS is that in addition to the high quality build and reasonable prices (I know could pay less if I built it all myself, but I value that time more than the money spent), I've always considered them to do the right things. This OC thing doesn't sound like it aligns to that, which is disappointing.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 12:59pm
You can choose stage 2 which as customers we again don't recommend.

No matter where you go you are going to get the same thing for stage1.

The confirmation is the settings we get with our pc.

Best oc settings will always come from you, ocing is so easy nowadays that anyone can do it, it is very time consuming.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Dec 2017 at 1:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply