FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New DS Customer looking for advice

Post Date: 2016-04-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Boxduck View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Boxduck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New DS Customer looking for advice
    Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 6:06pm
Hello,

Budget:

Expectations:
Be able game on high/ultra settings for the next 5 years or so

Usage:
Mainly gaming (Planetside 2, Total War: Warhammer, Battlefleet Gothic, Shadow of Mordor, ect.)

Special Needs:
Same as expectations I would say

Saved Ticket #:
Configuration Code: 1399881
Total Price with Instant Savings: $4,637

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power) <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate / Western Digital / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Green - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables) <br><strong></strong>
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Green) (Up to 6 Fans) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Green) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Digital Storm LaserMark Service - Graphic (Plexiglass Acrylic Window) <br><strong></strong>
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty (4 Year Labor & 2 Year Part Replacement) <br><strong></strong>

I am new to the higher end-gaming PC community so if there is anything alarmingly wrong with this build please let me know.
I have read a few build posts on these forums and this is what I've come up with that I believe will suit my needs.

This build is a little under budget so I am curious if it would be worth it to upgrade the Proccesor to the Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU) or Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU) and the MB to the ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset). Also should I OC the CPU to the 4.4 or possibly the 4.8 with the cooling options I've chosen and should I OC the graphics cards at all?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 4:19am
Hi Boxduck.... Welcome to the forums.

The build looks great.   I would however swap the HDD to the Western Digital Black for $29.   A more reliable and much longer warranty drive over any Seagate you might receive.

Either CPU is fine.   The Skylake 6700k does bench a bit better than Haswell E in gaming but they both are more than adequate.   I would keep your pick. There are rumors and possibility that future use of dx12 will make use of the added cores but that's up to developers.

Whether you need sli 980 ti or not depends on your monitor/s and resolution.    For 1080p, a single card is all you need.   4K needs sli.

I would opt for stage 1 overclock.   You have the chip and cooling for it. Overclocking isn't a huge difference, like a graphics card choice, but it does smooth out minimum frames and does help and is safe when done right.

Good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Apr 2016 at 4:40am
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 5:29am
you don't need DS to overclock those cards. They come with software that has three preset clocks and also allows for custom oc'ing.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 2:40pm
from personal experience, the hardline acrylic tubing looks really cool; however, when i ran into some posting issues and i wanted to remove the vid cards (which were part of the loop) i would have to drain the entire water loop just to do a simple reseat of the cards.  that's a pita, brother!  so, i ended up sending the system back to swap out the mobo and at the same time had DS swap out the acrylic tubing for their quick disconnect flex tubing.  this way if trouble arises i can isolate the rest of the loop w/o having to drain it and remove the troublesome card.  it doesn't look as cool as the acrylic, but hey, form over function. 

if you don't plan on including the vid cards in the water loop, then you can probably go with the acrylic tubing on just the cpu, because you are less likely to be removing the cpu as often as the vid card(s).   however, my cards run amazingly cool under load because they are water cooled.  

as far as deciding between the Haswell-E and Skylake platforms, i believe that Haswell-E provides fewer bottle-necking concerns because of the increased direct pcie lanes to the cpu.  Skylake uses the chipset, and while it provides a certain amount of flexibility and an upgrade to the DMI interface (the traffic cop), you're still bandwidth limited by the cpu.  having more direct pcie lanes to the cpu, which all of the Haswell-E sku's do, is preferable imo.  

it's a hard choice between the two.  i know i agonized over it.  i eventually went with the new Skylake platform, but i've kind of had some second thoughts about it precisely related to throughput.  i unequivocally recommend Skylake for anyone building a single vid card-driven system.  i have some reservations about 2xsli with it and more than 2 cards is entirely out of the question.   whereas with Haswell-E, there are no reservations about any of those configs.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Boxduck View Drop Down

Quote Boxduck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 8:53am
Thank you very much for the responses, these were very helpful for stream lining my build!
 Post Reply Post Reply