New DS rig for Xmas.

Post Date: 2017-11-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DarkSydeElement View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New DS rig for Xmas.
    Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 4:37pm
Hey all, my old DS rig is no longer with us, turns out a 5 year old trying to carry a glass of milk and tripping...well ya. Anyways I'm in need of a new one!

I have a budget of 6200$ but I'd like to not max it with unneeded stuff. I know nothing John Snow..err I don't know a lot about hardware so I need some help. I like to game, and everything else that comes with the web. I have two Dell 27" 2k screens. I would like to Max out settings on Witcher, Destiny etc.

Chassis
Chassis Model: Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Exotic Paint Finish - Storm Blue

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVM Express)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX TITAN Xp 12GB (Pascal) (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: White Flexible Tubing + Clear Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (White) Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature + Windows Installation CD (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Here is my first go at it, a few questions I have. Is the Titan better then the 1080ti...should I spend the extra and get two 1080ti's sli? If its not worth it should I drop the MB down and get one that is not a sli if I never plan on it? Also difference between Samsung EVO SSD and the Digtal Storm ones? And i7 vs i9. I've heard people say you can even get away with a i5. Thoughts?

More or less I want a rock solid unit. Something that show's it self off. I had the Velox before hand and now I want a bigger unit.

Thanks!

Edited by DarkSydeElement - 01 Nov 2017 at 4:37pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 4:46pm
For you the 8700k is a good spot, for gaming quad core is all you need.

For 2k 1080ti should do it, we can easily config a system so that it comes with one 1080 ti and you drop in the second one (very easy)

Memory ram or ssd is made by a few companies, Samsung makes their own. Ds uses lite-on. I like Samsung for ssd.

16GB ram is all you need, for sli 1080 ti go hx1000i psu.

Be prepared to work on lc system.

Go windows 10 CD instead of the partition.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Nov 2017 at 4:47pm
FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 12:17pm
Love The Build
Love the Recommendations

And Merry Christmas to you !!!!

Please , Please post a review with photos !!

And enjoy that masterpiece

I'm still partial to the partition, So fast to recovery and besides You get a reinstall disk anyways.

well I did, but we all know that I am special

Groupie
Groupie

Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 9:39am
Is LC really needed if I don't plan on doing any OC? And with 2k gaming, wouldn't the 1080ti last with for some time w/o needing to sli so not needing LC again? I've never had a LC unit so I'm a little lost on the needs of it etc. And what are your thoughts on the Aventum w/o LC. Should I just buy another Velox?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 9:49am
You don't need water cooling even if you did oc, unless you really pushed the voltages.  So, no, don't need it.  It does have advantages but a good air cooler or one of the AIO Corsair units will work great. 

For 2K a single 1080ti should work just fine for the foreseeable future and , again, water cooling is a nice option but the card will take care of itself as long as you have a case with good airflow, like the Velox.

The Aventum, to me, is a water cooling case.  It's designed for it with the included water block for quick changing, etc.  Unless you just want the looks and feel of the Aventum then the Velox is my choice. 

Big%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 10:02am
Just to echo what bp said:

1. You should definitely oc, 4.3 or something like that will be light and perfectly safe.

2. You don't need lc unless doing extreme oc. Lc is more of a luxury than necessity.

3. 1080 ti should be fine but uf needed you can always add a second real easy.

4. Nothing wrong with aventum on air, but it is a big case and thus as bp said its best for lc, its just expensive and other cases will do just as well on air for less. But its your money /pc.

Velox is a great one for air.

I would just change your lc to H115i and leave gpu on air.

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Nov 2017 at 10:03am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 10:07am
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: Exotic Paint Finish - Blanco White

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 G) (Fully Modular)

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVM Express)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Blue) Fans

Here is a Velox build. I want performance plus something that looks nice. All my life I have had black computer cases so I'm trying a new flare to it.
When looking at the options and the pictures, I'm going for that White case with blue insides. Fans etc. Are those the options being shown? And do you guys know if we can request a video card?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 10:08am
The Velox is a very nice case and I love mine, The Aventum I guess I didn't notice how big it really was. And like you said I feel is kinda a waste of money with out the LC.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 10:19am
Looks good

Your options won't show on the picture, just make sure you clarify exactly what you want.

You can request your gpu however there might be extra charge or waiting time

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Nov 2017 at 10:20am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:21pm
And you were saying a quad core? all the options seem to be six core
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:29pm
The quad core 7700k was replaced by the 6 core 8700k.   The newer 8700k has just as high if not higher cpu clock speed so no problem.    Previously a 6 core and higher sacrificed clock speed but not now.   Gaming likes clock speed over cores.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:36pm
For gaming all you need is a quad core but here you are correct they have moved to the 6 core cpus, tho you can go x299 quad core, which is pretty much what DMM is, check it out in the review section.

Personally I would stick with 8700k, 6 cores + great speed = what else can you ask for

Everyone that knows me here knows I'm a poweruser and I love cores. But more cores = slower speed per core, so its a give and take. The 8700k gives you the best of both worlds.

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Nov 2017 at 12:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply