FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New gaming rig config advice needed[Velox /Apollo]

Post Date: 2016-06-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darbebo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New gaming rig config advice needed[Velox /Apollo]
    Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 11:26am
Budget:
[3000 +/- a small amount]

Expectations:
[Dual and possibly triple monitor, maaaybe use of VR years down the road, nothing crazy]

Usage:
[Everyday websurfing, gaming (DOTA 2, Dark knight (newest batman), newest Doom]

Special Needs:
[want to play those awesome single player graphic intensive games like darkknight and Doom. i don't do any photoshop or imaging thingys i just get home from my job and surf web watch anime play some games]

Saved Ticket #: [https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1432651]    1432651

Specifications:
[Tower will be under my table]

Hi there, my first DS rig from 2010 is probably due for retirement and I'm looking at a new one. I LOVE how the velox and the promise of airflow. I think Apollo can do the same but velox just looks better.

My main questions are

1. is the 6800k overkill? But I read from somewhere the last gen is already 2+ years old so getting the last gen cpu may not be a good idea as we are "moving on". Thoughts: should i use 6700k as a compromise?

2. Anything wrong with the motherboard?

3. Ram - i chose the corsair brand just to be safe, but should i save some money and downgrade to 2666 MHZ instead? any drastic difference?

4. Power supply - i used corsair before , guess i'l stick with it. is it overkill Watts wise?

5. vid card - the constant question. 980 6gb TI for $171 less or get the newest 1080? I saw videos/posts where the 1080 is way better than the 980 in terms of gaming. (and i GUESS i wouldn't be shopping for new comp now if it wasn't for the new video card).

6. Cooling - is the 240mm radiator cooling good enough if my house is kinda hot in So cal?

I don't really plan SLI i suppose, just when the time is right, just get one new powerful card later.

anything that i missed?

thanks!
Number of DS rig owned: 2
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by darbebo

Budget:
[3000 +/- a small amount]

Expectations:
[Dual and possibly triple monitor, maaaybe use of VR years down the road, nothing crazy] triple monitor at what resolution and speed?

Usage:
[Everyday websurfing, gaming (DOTA 2, Dark knight (newest batman), newest Doom] 

Special Needs:
[want to play those awesome single player graphic intensive games like darkknight and Doom. i don't do any photoshop or imaging thingys i just get home from my job and surf web watch anime play some games]

Saved Ticket #: [https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1432651]    1432651

Specifications:
[Tower will be under my table]

Hi there, my first DS rig from 2010 is probably due for retirement and I'm looking at a new one. I LOVE how the velox and the promise of airflow. I think Apollo can do the same but velox just looks better.

My main questions are

1. is the 6800k overkill? But I read from somewhere the last gen is already 2+ years old so getting the last gen cpu may not be a good idea as we are "moving on". Thoughts: should i use 6700k as a compromise? Broadwell-E is a workstation refresh of the X99 platform.  it serves the bottom end of the "enterprise" market, not the high end of the "gamer" market.  this is a common misconception.  since you fall into the latter category, by your own stated needs, i would say this platform is wasted on you and you're wasting money on it.  stick with the mainstream and go with Skylake/Z170.

2. Anything wrong with the motherboard? i have personal issues with Asus motherboards right now.  i think Asus has a problem with QA. 

3. Ram - i chose the corsair brand just to be safe, but should i save some money and downgrade to 2666 MHZ instead? any drastic difference? in all honesty you won't really see much of a difference with lower frequency ram, because their timings will be better.  it's almost an equal tradeoff in overall speed.  my advice, even to work station folks, is to get more of it rather than faster.   

4. Power supply - i used corsair before , guess i'l stick with it. is it overkill Watts wise? another waste of budget space with this choice.  since you aren't sure about sli there's no need.  unless you're doing sli 980ti's or Titan X you don't need that much either.  the new cards require far less power anyway, so even sli 1080's won't require a 1000W psu.  total system power draw from the wall at stock is about 100W lower than 980ti at 341W.  this card doesn't oc as well as 980ti either, so you're probably going to see power draw much lower than an oc'd 980ti as well. 

5. vid card - the constant question. 980 6gb TI for $171 less or get the newest 1080? I saw videos/posts where the 1080 is way better than the 980 in terms of gaming. (and i GUESS i wouldn't be shopping for new comp now if it wasn't for the new video card).  unless you're getting the 980ti at a significant discount/price drop, then the 1080 is a no-brainer.  it's the better performer.  if you can get by with 980ti/Titan X performance, get the 1070 for much less cost.  

6. Cooling - is the 240mm radiator cooling good enough if my house is kinda hot in So cal?  what are your max ambient temps at?  i live in the Bay Area, so you can't be outrageously higher temps than me.  still, my advice is to get as much cooling as you can afford and that will fit in your case.  you can then run the fans slower = less noise.  

I don't really plan SLI i suppose, just when the time is right, just get one new powerful card later. that's always the most optimal performance scenario because you can't count on universal scaling support/optimization from game developers.  however, there is no current single gpu (including the new Pascal cards) capable of universally running ultra settings at 4k with optimal performance/pleasurable gaming experience.  it might be possible when the "Ti or Titan" versions of these cards become available in about 9 mos time.

anything that i missed? i wouldn't get a "founders edition" card, i'd wait for the partner vendor's offerings to hit the market.

thanks!
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 3:19pm
@ db188 - THANK YOU for helping guiding me along this one here.
I want to ask some follow up questions
https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1432928

Following up questions:

1. By going with skylake did you mean the 6700k? I can't really tell but which is better?
i7 6700k + Z170 pro gaming mobo or i7 5820k + Asus x99-A mobo?
I "think" the 5820k is the older chip? but not sure why it is used for level 3 + 4 of apollo....

Piggyback ....Referring to the mobo vs asus brand comment you made earlier. So does that mean, you prefer the 6700k +z710 combo?

2. Monitor wise I have a Dell U2312 IPS monitor + a cheap 22 inch AOC monitor. I'm planning to eventually get another Dell IPS 24 inch U2415 or something. Does this affect my cpu/video card choices (or the number of video cards needed?) - Can 1 gpu support 3 monitor? if not that's fine, just want to know in advnace

3. RAM - i will go with the 2666 then, Currently i have it selected for 16gb, do you believe i will get noticeably utility if i go for 32gb? Thanks!! ( i don't do a lot of intensive things i think, but i will run anime on one screen and DOOM on the other screen while maybe web surfing or whatever in the backgrounf)

4. Power supply, I just remembered back in 2010 people were saying the Corsair brand are more reliable and longer warranty. I haven't seen / used any EVGA power supplies before so i am not sure. But from what you're saying , my config will work on a 850w?

5. Video card - ok i will wait for partner vendor. BIG QUESTION : I always always ALWAYS thought that the founder edition is the best, and that the other ones made by "other companies" are all just inferior / at best the same, could you enlighten me a bit as to why this is not the case?

6. I can't do the noctua fan, and i don't want to shell out the cash for the Hydrolux, so if you were me you'd get the costliest stage 2 cooling? The H115i 280mm radiator?

this is saving me some good money - which is what i was hoping for. Would this "downgrade" in CPU/PSU still be able to run the new Doom buttery smooth @ highest setting?

THANKS!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by darbebo

@ db188 - THANK YOU for helping guiding me along this one here.
I want to ask some follow up questions
https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1432928

Following up questions:

1. By going with skylake did you mean the 6700k? I can't really tell but which is better?  you can go with either an I7 or I5 for gaming purposes.  you can go with a "K" sku if you want to oc or non "K" if you don't.  this choice would also effect which mobo to choose as there are better/pricier choices specifically with oc'ing mind.
i7 6700k + Z170 pro gaming mobo or i7 5820k + Asus x99-A mobo?
I "think" the 5820k is the older chip? but not sure why it is used for level 3 + 4 of apollo.... yes, Haswell-E is a generation older, but more to the point, they are very different platforms with a different target audience.  Haswell-E is mostly for the low-end power user, with Xeons being at the top.  Skylake is mainstream-oriented.  you'd have to ask DS what their reasoning is for how they market/rate their system buying guide levels.  if your usage is primarily gaming, and unless you're going for 3xsli or lots of pcie storage, i'd recommend Skylake for gaming. 

Piggyback ....Referring to the mobo vs asus brand comment you made earlier. So does that mean, you prefer the 6700k +z710 combo? it means i've had very negative experiences of late with multiple high end Asus mobos.  and i'll leave it a that.  i'm sure you'll find many others who're perfectly happy with them.  i'm currently enjoying my Gigabyte G1 Gaming GT Z170 mobo paired with 2xGTX 980ti's. 

2. Monitor wise I have a Dell U2312 IPS monitor + a cheap 22 inch AOC monitor. I'm planning to eventually get another Dell IPS 24 inch U2415 or something. Does this affect my cpu/video card choices (or the number of video cards needed?) - Can 1 gpu support 3 monitor? if not that's fine, just want to know in advnace nope.  not when you're talking about the difference between a GTX 980ti/Titan X and the 1070/1080.  those are 1080p monitors.  not going to make the above hardware paired with a modern quad core cpu work hard at all.  in fact, that hardware is overkill for that monitor setup.   if i were you i'd invest in a 1440p 144Hz (native) 27" monitor to go with that hardware. 

3. RAM - i will go with the 2666 then, Currently i have it selected for 16gb, do you believe i will get noticeably utility if i go for 32gb? Thanks!! ( i don't do a lot of intensive things i think, but i will run anime on one screen and DOOM on the other screen while maybe web surfing or whatever in the backgrounf) from a gaming perspecitve, not currently.  even the most currently demanding games only recommend 16GB of system memory.  from a productivity perspective, absolutely get as much as you can afford. 

4. Power supply, I just remembered back in 2010 people were saying the Corsair brand are more reliable and longer warranty. I haven't seen / used any EVGA power supplies before so i am not sure. But from what you're saying , my config will work on a 850w? depends on the model/line, but i wouldn't hands down necessarily state Corsair has the best power supplies.  EVGA has very good products as well.  your config would work with much lower wattage than that, if you're sticking with a single card config.  unless you're absolutely certain you'll be adding another vid card you can safely go with a 750W psu and that's providing a lot of overhead for overclocking the cpu+vid card. 

5. Video card - ok i will wait for partner vendor. BIG QUESTION : I always always ALWAYS thought that the founder edition is the best, and that the other ones made by "other companies" are all just inferior / at best the same, could you enlighten me a bit as to why this is not the case? actually, it's the other way around (depending on the vendor).  partner vendors often provide cards with custom cooling solutions that are higher performing, custom pcb (boards) with higher end components (capacitors, etc.), in some cases custom bios and higher binned chips.  as a result, they often come with higher clocks straight from the factory with more room for overclocking.  

6. I can't do the noctua fan, and i don't want to shell out the cash for the Hydrolux, so if you were me you'd get the costliest stage 2 cooling? The H115i 280mm radiator? you'll have to make sure that 280mm rad will fit in the case you selected, they can be a tight fit because they're thicker than 240mm rads.  you'll probably be fine with a 240mm.  my personal preference is to go crazy with as much cooling as i can get.  perhaps with the savings from the other suggestions you can get more?

this is saving me some good money - which is what i was hoping for. Would this "downgrade" in CPU/PSU still be able to run the new Doom buttery smooth @ highest setting? i'm sure you're going to love it!

THANKS!
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 6:30pm
ok, I guess the best option will be to do 6700k + z170.

I'll wait for the non founder's edition then.

Thanks! let the wait time begins i guess!
 Post Reply Post Reply