FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New PC Ordered - Would Like Feedback

Post Date: 2017-11-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Corvette_Dude View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Corvette_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New PC Ordered - Would Like Feedback
    Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 2:06pm
Hi All,

I ordered a new DS computer on Friday, but wanted to get your feedback to see if there is anything I should change. I am assuming there would still be time if I find out something is grossly sub optimal wrong since they have not started building it yet and CPU is back ordered for 1-2 weeks. That being said I am new to custom water cooling, but have opted in for the CPU custom loop. Also I understand the EVO SSD is less reliable than the PRO but I am fine with that since I backup everything on a daily basis and don't feel that the increased reliability is worth the cost to me. Also I am driving 2 DELL 32 inch 4k monitors at 60Hz. I will use the PC for gaming primarily and only use 1 monitor for gaming. I do multitask in the 2nd monitor while gaming so i like the the idea of multiple CPU cores. I do realize the PC is overkill but I have always been a PC enthusiast looking for the best.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback you have. I still plan on keeping my current computer as a backup which still runs great and still has a 1 year warranty left. (It's a 3 year old Alienware Area 51 R2 with i7-5960x CPU, 32GB RAM, closed loop water cooled and GTX 1080 Ti video card and 2 EVO SSDs 1 is 512GB and other is 2TB).

I would appreciate any feedback you have!

thanks!

Below is the configuration:

Order Contents:
- Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 1783230 (Config # 1783230) - Quantity: 1 - Price: $9,000.00
- -- NVIDIA Bundle - Desinty 2 (Digital Code) (Config # 1783230) - Quantity: 1 - Price: $0.00

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-7980XE Extreme Edition (18-Core) 2.60GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME (Wi-Fi) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 128GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1500W Corsair AX1500i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Blue Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Drive a Corvette because life's too short for a crappy car!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 2:49pm
Ok something simply make no difference, i can swap your psu with 1000w in the middle of the night when you're sleeping and next day you would never know the difference, even with sli.

If this is for gaming and muti tasking you are better off with 8700k, otherwise that cpu will have low speed even with oc, for gaming and for least bottleneck you gonna want to be around 4.0Ghz, there is no way you getting anything close to that with 18 cores, 8 cores maybe.

As for lc be prepared to work on it incase something goes wrong, ask ahead of time for a drain valve or use qcd at the bottom of the loop for easy drain. With qcd method you gonna want to get extra qcd to make it easier.

Your ram is beyond overkill, if you don't have use for that much ram don't get it, its more hassle than it is worth. For future proof gaming 16gb is more than enough, above that is power users, auto desk, heavy media/3d editing, vm, etc. Are you even close to maxing your 32gb currently? If yes then go 32 or 64, if not dropp to 16 or knowing you lol stick with 32.

And why are you sticking all that in a midtower, go full tower

Your thoughts

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Nov 2017 at 2:54pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 3:12pm
Oh BTW you are talking to a power user that loves cores and ram FYI

Quote Corvette_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 4:58pm
DST4ME - Thanks for the feedback! As mentioned in my initial post I am an ENTHUSIAST and realize the system is overkill (yes maybe extreme overkill) so that is why I prefer to stick with the 1500 watt PSU and 128GB RAM. The other reason is that my current machine (now 3 years old) has a 1500W PSU and 32 GB of RAM so I would not feel right with going for less and/or not upgrading to more if possible so that is what I did. I have been owning PCs for quite a while, when my buddy and I got a 386 with 4MB (yes 4 MegaBytes!) of RAM in 1992 people also thought that was overkill, lol. I always believed you can never have enough RAM and that has been my motto ever since. I want a mid tower cause I want it on my desk to appreciate the RGB/custom cooler and the LUMOS case is all glass so I can see inside it. The larger towers are more of a mix of glass and metal with much less visibility to internals. I believe this case is actually a Corsair 570X case which has more glass/internal visibility than the rest offered by DS and also when browsing the internet. In terms of 18 cores, i understand it may not be optimal for gaming, but I have 8 now and feel the need to upgrade to more. Also I have seen articles (Tweaktown) on the i9-7980XE being overclocked up to 4.8GHz on all 18 cores!

Thanks again for your feedback!

Edited by Corvette_Dude - 26 Nov 2017 at 5:28pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 5:55pm
What was the vcore of that oc and what was the cooling setup? Ambient temp? I would be very careful about using oc from articles those are test benches most times, there is also luck of the draw.

We have to distinguish between what we feel 2+2 equal to and what it actually does.

What i mean by that is if there is no use for extra wattage or ram then no matter what me and you think it is not being used or an upgrade.

I mean lets for example say if we look at your pc's performance under your use and system reports that max ram used was say 16gb, then me and you can say taking you from 16gb of ram to 128gb is an upgrade but in reality it is not since the existence of the 112gb that is not being used is completely pointless and matters only in our head and not in real life. So technically it is an upgrade realistically it is not.

Now there is nothing wrong if you want a 1500w where a 1000w would do, but maxing your mobo memory lane puts unneeded stress on the mobo that is not needed, I go with less when there is no return in it, but that is just me.

So I understand you like to go big or go home but I don't do that nor do I recommend that unless it is giving me something in return.

if you want 1500w psu, 128gb of ram, more power to you , we don't recommend parts there is no actual use for, that has nothing to do with the fact that it is your pc and you should get what makes you happy I just want to make sure our readers are clear about what we need vs what we want.

Your system looks like a beast and based on our conversation I think it is the right pc for you.

I will beg you to rethink the ram (its not like the old days where if one stick died you just replaced that one stick) and the case (its a pain working on kc in tight area), I don't really care about the 1500w you might need it for oc from cpu.

Other than that congratulations can't wait for the pics

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Nov 2017 at 8:27pm

Quote Corvette_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 8:44pm
I didn't get into all the details in terms of the OC but I did see it from a few sources so it looks like there is potential for the i9-7980XE to go significantly above stock settings and they did mention motherboard drawing much more power of up to 500w during OC. I saw one OC to 6 GHz but that was with an exotic liquid nitrogen setup and drawing a 1000 watts. I don't plan to go crazy with my OC.

In terms of memory ever since I started buying PCs in the early 90s I always tried to triple/quadruple the RAM every time I got a new PC which was about every 3-5 years and following that rule of thumb has never let me down and allowed me to handle software that came out with room to spare when my PC was even 3-5 years old and at the end of its lifecycle.   You may be right, software bloat may not be growing as much with new OS releases anymore but I still prefer to have enough headroom to handle anything that comes at me 4-5 years out. Honestly I am also kind of stuck in my ways on this one so 128GB it is. Also it is one of the reasons I switched from Alienware to DS since their max memory configuration right now for the Area 51 is only 64GB.

Thanks again for your input!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 8:49pm
My pleasure, just so you know one of tbe many things i do is test software and 16gb has not been maxed, however with vm and other heavy software 64gb is not enough.

I am very excited to see what oc tou achieve with the xe, please post back your oc and oc specs, just remember voltage is more important than oc speed. Nothing beats Actual user oc, so please let us know

Lol if you can get 4.2ghz With a good vcore and temp, I'm putting the xe in DMM.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Nov 2017 at 8:51pm

Quote Corvette_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 9:14pm
Sounds good, just remember some day we will all be looking back and laughing at how pathetically small 128GB of RAM is. Back in the day in the 1990s when I worked at IBM in memory test engineering I worked on the first 128MB memory card in the world for the ES9000 mainframe. We charged $50,000 for one of these memory cards back then.   

Edited by Corvette_Dude - 26 Nov 2017 at 9:15pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 9:51pm
Lol yes I remember the good old days
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 2:10am
Hi Corvette_Dude,
That is an interesting build. StrongAwesome
I also like to go all out. Have 4x980 and 2 PSUs but on an Aventum. Why don't you get the new Titan Xp or more 1080Tis? I would suggest that you get the W10 Pro and get a longer warranty. Its only 1 year parts.

BTW have a '66 427 coupe.Big%20Smile

Quote Corvette_Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 10:26am
Hoserator - Thanks for the input!   In the past I have had SLI setups but for the vast majority of games I play the SLI scaling was either minimal or non-existent so I did not find the SLI worthwhile. My plan is to focus on having the single best card and then just upgrade it more often.

Not sure I would use any of the additional features in W10 Pro and given most of the parts in my build are brand name, they would have their own warranty, but in any case i am comfortable with 1 year. Beyond that I expect to be able to fix/replace the parts on my own and pay as needed.

Nice car! Mine is a 2012 Grand Sport Convertible.
 Post Reply Post Reply