FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new pc, stuff need to be done

Post Date: 2019-09-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
randyfarish View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote randyfarish Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: new pc, stuff need to be done
    Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:11pm
Hey folks, I'm new to the world of a dedicated gaming PC. I currently own a 6-year old cheapo Toshiba laptop that can't hardly run Google Chrome without crashing. I wouldn't call myself a video gamer at all, but I have dabbled in Starcraft since the 90s and would like to get a PC to play it again.

Budget:
Not set in stone but want to spend as little as possible.

Expectations:
To run Starcraft II smoothly and efficiently on all the lowest settings. I'd also like to give Star Wars Battlefront a try if possible.

Usage:
Starcraft II, maybe Battlefront, no web surfing whatsoever. Possibly I'll let my kids play Minecraft if that doesn't create a problem or risk for the machine.

Special Needs:
None. I'm looking for the most basic and cost-effective way to play computer games on a reliable machine.

Saved Ticket #: ?

Specifications:
?

Does the most basic version of Vanquish 7 fit my needs?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:31am
"Does the most basic version of Vanquish 7 fit my needs?"

No. The Vanquish line is no longer offered. It's been replaced by the Lynx, which, IMHO is a more attactive package.

The most basic option does not come with a dedicated video card, and therefore often falls short from day one of providing happy gaming.

The best option for you, I think, would be the Level 3, as it not only offers a very powerful graphics processor, but also includes 16 GB of RAM. Those two together mean you will be quite happy with your performance for several years to come.

The Level 2 would be sufficient, but not have nearly the longevity of the Level 3. The GPU in that rig is decent, but strictly entry level from Nvidia. it would play Starcraft pretty well, but might choke a bit on Battlefront, IMO.

The RTX 2060 in the Level 3 will play the heck out of everything at 1080p resolution.

Hope it helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply