Post Date: 2019-08-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Noise Levels with Lumos Case
    Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 4:55pm
I am close to placing an order with a Lumos case.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the noise level will be with the standard case chassis fans?

I see the glass panels are offset from the steel case, potentially letting a lot of noise escape.

850 watt power supply & RTX 2070 Super video card.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:48pm
Welcome to the forums Bob100 !    You will like the Lumos. I tell folks Lumos is a work of tech art, so make sure it’s placed up on a desk to show it off!

I have a 2019 Lumos build my son uses to game about 12-14 hrs a day in his bedroom, equipped with the NVidia RTX 2080 Founders Edition and the Corsair LL Series fan upgrade.    The excellent Lumos case is actually the highly rated Corsair Crystal Series 570X ATX case, and I can recommend the LL or ML fans as the very best for cooling efficiency and they are extremely quiet.    Very little fan noise noted at all with the case right on his desktop.    You download the Corsair iCue software to control all Corsair components RGB colors.    
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:02pm
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I selected the Corsair ML Pro Series magnetic fans, so that should help with the noise.

BTW, do you know how many fans the Corsair ML Pro Series includes?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:43pm
All of them.    Count depends on what the cooler uses - 120mm or 140mm size.
Front takes 3 x 120 or 2 x 140....
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:56am
Those ML fans are so quiet all you will hear is the lc pump. Big%20Smile
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 4:49pm
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and hit the Buy button this afternoon. The Promotional discount and free shipping were hard to ignore. Quite an edge over the competitors.

Here is the final configuration that was ordered.

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High-Performance Copper Heat Pipe Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: - No Thanks
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:14pm
Congrats on the Lumos purchase!

Changes are still possible, and I think you are missing out on an opportunity here to get more performance without any fuss for very little cost.

That excellent Intel I7-9700K CPU was made by Intel to be Overclocked.   Unless you Overclock the CPU, you are not getting the extra performance that K Class processor can give you.   A Stage 1 Overclock is offered FREE by DS... or a full Stage 2 OC will cost just +$99, and you only need to switch to one of the sealed no-maintenance AIO coolers to handle CPU cooling properly.

I would recommend the Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO sealed no-maintenance cooler (+$100), or the larger Corsair H115i Pro AIO sealed no-maintenance CPU cooler (+$130).   Both are solid performing and very well regarded All In One CPU coolers that carry long 5 yr Corsair warranties.   DS will not Overclock the CPU on air CPU cooling alone.   You can contact DS and ask for changes like this without causing any problem if you do it soon.   I just don't want you to miss out on the true high performance that top gaming CPU can give you!

Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:38pm
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not real comfortable with liquid circulating through my computer, hence, I stayed with an air-cooled system. I'm kind of old-school at 75. My grandkids can't believe that their old grandfather opted for a spiced-up modern design with all the RGB lighting. Thought it was time to change gears and go with something a little more exotic than a black box.

The primary use of the machine will be photo and movie editing. Although as an former Air Force pilot, I do like to occasionally play combat flight simulations.

I am moving up from a 9.5-year old Puget Systems machine which only has an i5 quad core 750, 2.66GHz and 8GB of RAM, with an EVGA GTX 560Ti graphics card. So, this Lumos is a major performance upgrade. My flight sims played pretty good on the old i5, so they should really shine on the Lumos, even without any overclocking.

Again, thanks again for taking time to look at the spec sheet and offering suggestions, much appreciated.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:38am
Congratulations and welcome to DS. Awesome
That is a very nice system and will serve you for many years to come. 

I am also old school and like everything simple. However, I have to echo HockeyBuck with regards to the cpu cooling. Its not only for overclocking but even normally cpus run hotter today than years ago since there is more electricity going through them. More energy, more heat and heat destroys. A cool running cpu will outlast a hotter running one.
Todays' AIOs are very dependable all around, leak and pump longevity wise.

No matter what cooling, you will have a hard time keeping the brood off of it. LOL
Enjoy and do post some images. Love to see how it looks with an air cooler. Excited

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:34am
Thanks for your service sir!

We talk to lots of folks that start out feeling the same as you about this...lol.
FYI you should know that liquid CPU coolers run with non-conductive coolant inside, not just water.    The All In One or AIO variety are not user accessible - therefore they never require maintenance other than blowing out the dust, so the tubing is thick and the seals made quite permanent.    Their job is to chill a Copper cold plate in contact with the hot CPU, and efficiently transfer heat away to be exchanged at the radiator.     Liquid cooling results in much lower temps.    Safe and way way more efficient than air.     I have run 3 liquid cooled DS Overclocked rigs since 2011 and have never had a problem.    

Your old Crew Chiefs and mechanics would tell you liquid cooling simply makes the “engine” last longer and perform at peak efficiency...lol.   

Edited by HockeyBuck - 15 Aug 2019 at 11:37am
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 4:20pm
Thanks. Exciting times while in the USAF.

Do you guys run the Stage 1 or Stage 2 liquid coolers?

That High Performance Copper Heat Pipe Air Cooler looks like it may be pretty large (4.7 x 3.1 x 6.3 inch). Anyone have any stats on how it might compare (temperature differences) to the Stage 1 or 2 liquid coolers?

I currently have a Cooler Master V8 air cooler in my Puget Systems machine and it is very large, but still working great after 9.5 years.

Looks like the air cooler that I selected is a "Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan". The picture is identical on Newegg and on the DS configurator page. It has pretty good reviews.

Edited by Bob100 - 16 Aug 2019 at 2:30pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 5:12am
The good reviews are sound advice. The 212 EVO has been around for several years already, and the fact it has been featured here for at least 2 years speaks well for DS's experience with the part.

HB is not mistaken about the capacity for overclocking with the Intel K CPUs. However, what we have with this newest class of CPUs are parts we could only dream of when last we (Oldtimers - I'm 70) went shopping for a system. Talking BILLIONS more transisters, much larger onboard cache, and stock clocks at a GHz or better than our old ones. The 9700k TURBOS to 4.9 GHz, which means it will run at that speed on the all-important (for gaming) first core, 4.8 GHz on core 2, and up to 4.6 GHz on all 8 cores. That is spectacular performance compared to what we're used to. (My original DS build from 2010 was overclocked to only3.81 GHz maximum, and I never had an issue with processor speed that I could notice.)

Bottom line, I agree the all-in-ones are "safe and sane", I have one. But I also had an air cooler on my previous rig that was still going strong and providing way better than adequate cooling after 8 years. You don't NEED the extra speed from overclocking this beast of a chip. You'll never know the difference. It's native clock plus turbo will blow you away. Stay with what makes you comfortable. Your temps on air will never be risky unless something's wrong.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 6:40am
That is a very capable cooler and if temps go highish, I believe you can add a second fan. Enjoy.
Big%20Smile
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 7:35am
Thanks for the very informative replies. Great forum here.

Got my Stage 1 notification from DS yesterday. So the wait is on.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 6:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply