FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oculus Build brainstorming

Post Date: 2016-01-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lucidstate View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lucidstate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Oculus Build brainstorming
    Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 3:41pm
Budget:
[4000 give or take]

Expectations:
[Virtual reality on near max settings

Usage:
[Oculus Vr and multiplayer survival games ]

Special Needs:
[Well over specs of the rift]

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:

Build configuration ->      https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1352962

[Well, I am on the pre order list for late march. I know, 600$ for the rift..Ouch. But I have been keeping track of it since it's early kickstarter days and 600 is pretty cheap for how it's built ( I know..Opinions opinions) Please feel free to express any concerns or ideas you may have. As I am not set on this particular build

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB SeagateWestern DigitalToshiba)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

That is a $3900 build. I still have not chose a monitor. Ill have the rift strapped to my noggin for anything that will allow it.
I went with one titan instead of two Sli 980ti for the simple fact that further in the year I can have my wife get me another titan for my birthday. I am researching on how compatible SLI and Virtual reality really is. SOme of this stuff is over my head.
I did not go with the i76700k because the benchmarks were close enough with the processor listed and I allocated that $ to go into the x99 instead.

Love Fps and exploring games Massive frame rate is big on not puking with the oculus.

Sorry this is so long]
Min Req for the rift here
RIFT

Min req for a game I will be playing - elite dangerous
Quad Core CPU (4 x 2Ghz is a reasonable minimum)
4 GB System RAM (more is always better)
DX 10 hardware GPU with 1GB video ram
Nvidia GTX 260
ATI 4870HD
Internet connection
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows 7
Windows 8.x
Elite

Other idea is go with a hailstorm...
Thoughts? Changes? Concerns?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 10:16pm
you'll want your OS and games on a fast ssd.  250GB isn't enough with how large game files are these days.  i suggest allocating more budget to primary storage capacity/speed.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 11:09pm
If you're buying this specifically for the Rift, I'd hold out a few months. Nvidia supposedly is introducing the next generation Titan card (Pascal architecture) in the not too distant future and may be hitting the market before deliveries of the Rift start to happen.

Quote Lucidstate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by db188

you'll want your OS and games on a fast ssd.  250GB isn't enough with how large game files are these days.  i suggest allocating more budget to primary storage capacity/speed.  

I was slightly worried about the 250 space. I eat up gigs trying out a lot of games and demos. Good point, better double/quadruple it .

Quote Lucidstate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by 

If you're buying this specifically for the Rift, I'd hold out a few months. Nvidia supposedly is introducing the next generation Titan card (Pascal architecture) in the not too distant future and may be hitting the market before deliveries of the Rift start to happen.

That card sounds like a brute. Thanks for giving me a heads up.
I do have three months before it even ships ..Come on Nvidia!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 3:14pm
The Rift ships in March, there won't be any new cards from NVIDIA during that time. Please note, any new cards that NVIDIA will launch in the future, they will only be a small performance margin gain since there isn't much competition from AMD.

Quote Lucidstate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Alex

The Rift ships in March, there won't be any new cards from NVIDIA during that time. Please note, any new cards that NVIDIA will launch in the future, they will only be a small performance margin gain since there isn't much competition from AMD.

I assumed that their mid year drop really means way later. That is how it always works, right?
It does make me think of getting a lower price card than the titan I have chosen .Then I could swap it out when the new one does drop. ..If anything else in the pc does not need upgrading or mods for it anyway.

I understand that if I wait for everything new to come out then I will never have a rig. Yet if the new thing does surpass everything built by far... then it becomes a hard call.

Quote Lucidstate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:26pm
Couple changes to fix the storage. Also selected the i7 5820. it is over $200 less and was on the list as "better" than the 5930.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1360817

Any conserns on the changes?

I also need a monitor to match. Again, it does not have to be top 4k or anything. The oculus is my main screen.
Thoughts on monitor or "should do" on the build?

Quote Lucidstate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 3:31pm
Forgot: What is everyone's opinions on going with a lower end card until the Pascal hits the market? Would I have to change anything else to get ready for that beast?
Steven View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 9:04am
I would highly recommend a GTX 980 or better for entry level VR. While the minimum spec for all 'Oculus Store' games is the 970, you will want all the additional headroom you can afford to really push the device to it's max.

Edited by Steven - 25 Jan 2016 at 9:05am

Quote Lucidstate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 7:13pm
I think I have I have finally locked in to this configuration.
https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1361606

Now to sleep on it..

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 3:01am
Hi Lucidstate.... I would recommend saving a bunch of money and giong with the 5820k and gtx 980ti.    Only difference between 5820 and 5930k is the number of Pcie lanes and for even sli, it has all you need.

Gtx 980ti is within a few percentage points of the Titan for $500 less. Some testing even shows the 980ti a better pick.   The Titan's 12gb vram is the big difference and doubtful you'll use it for anything but scientific modeling, etc.

Nothing wrong with your picks, however, so up to you.

Looks good and good luck.

Quote Lucidstate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi Lucidstate.... I would recommend saving a bunch of money and giong with the 5820k and gtx 980ti.    Only difference between 5820 and 5930k is the number of Pcie lanes and for even sli, it has all you need.

Gtx 980ti is within a few percentage points of the Titan for $500 less. Some testing even shows the 980ti a better pick.   The Titan's 12gb vram is the big difference and doubtful you'll use it for anything but scientific modeling, etc.

Nothing wrong with your picks, however, so up to you.

Looks good and good luck.

I have taken your advice and switched to those two items. I also downed my ram to 16. Being easy to upgrade if needed. VR not using sli puts a small damper in card configuration right now but by the time they do start using it, I can swich out to sli pascal if I wish.
So the new build is New Build

The PCIE card is a bit much but I thought it would be a pain to upgrade from SSD to PCIE so I would rather it be there then change it later.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 2:32am
Nice changes and saves a bunch of money for the future.

Forgot to mention.... I would use the Corsair h100i in place of the Digital Storm Vortex branded. The Corsair has 5 year warranty and the DS Vortex might be only the length of their own warranty , 2 years parts with 4 year warranty. You could ask DS to verify.

I don't believe they will drill the blow holes with the Velox.   It has side fans already. They'll double check and change it if I'm correct.

Looks great.
 Post Reply Post Reply