Post Date: 2019-08-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThePinkGoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ODE Level 3 Dead after 10 years.
    Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 9:16am
It's been a long run and my first DS computer bit the dust. Goodbye GTX 570 SLI !

I'm working on a Lumos build and I have a couple of questions for the smart guys.

My friend told me if I get the 9700K and Pair it with the 2070 super that my system would bottleneck.

I like the $400 less pricepoint from the 2080 Super.

I do want to game in 2K and maybe 4K.

Is he just giving me a hard time?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 11:12am
Wow, that was a nice long run. Awesome
You will be amazed at what is available today. The Smart Guys will be better at explaining technical matters. I tend to go overboard. Strong
With that out of the way, if you are going to use a 4K monitor soon, go with the 2080Ti. If not, the 2080 SUPER would be way more than enough for excellent maxed out  2K gaming. Don't know about bottlenecking of the cpu or gpu but I strongly doubt it, IMHO. your friend is just jealous that you are getting another DS system and he knows how good they are. Big%20Smile

Keep us posted.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 1:03pm
Listen to Hose on the GPU choice ... Lol... I can’t believe you never updated GPU !
My 2011 Ode (originally SLI 2x RTX 570) now runs one RTX 1080 Ti and serves 2K gaming at Ultra settings on a Dell 32” IPS WQHD monitor and Ode serves as wifeys rig now.     I’ll probably rebuild something new in that roomy Ode Corsair case when it finally dies.   Great case.

With your new Lumos rig I agree with Hose and think you had best shoot for the top with an RTX 2080 Ti that can do 4K the very best and has the best chance to serve you the longest.     If budget can’t get there, then go no lower than the RTX 2080 Super.     No bottleneck with the excellent I7-9700K 8-core/8-thread CPU Overclocked ...in normal gaming or anything else.     If your work uses are technical and require more cores, there are plenty of other multi core CPU options for that as well.   

Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 1:17pm
I'm considering the following build.

Looking at an Acer Predator 2K monitor. No technical use for this build just gaming, web surfing, and Netflix.

Comments are suggested. The $300 discount will drop this right around $3000 and that's my goal for the next 5-10 years.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 2:12pm
How about this Pink.....a very solid 2k gaming RTX 2080 Super Lumos rig.    The Lumos rig my son games with all day every day is very similar except his 2080 is an NVidia 2080 Founders Edition... Ultra settings on everything he does. Super would be even stronger.

Config # 2551129.   ($3282 minus DS Sale $300 off = $2982)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 4:11pm
The 9700K bottlenecking anything is just nuts.

I like HB's build, but you might consider the 512GB 970 PRO that's a bargain right now for your primary, and add another larger NVMe if you want/need on your own. IIRC, I've seen where that wouldn't daunt you a bit. Hard to pass up the PRO at such a price, when the 1TB is going so reasonably elsewhere. If you're going to do that, you might drop the HDD, too. Save you $233 toward another storage solution. Just spitballin'.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Cretae

The 9700K bottlenecking anything is just nuts.

I like HB's build, but you might consider the 512GB 970 PRO that's a bargain right now for your primary, and add another larger NVMe if you want/need on your own. IIRC, I've seen where that wouldn't daunt you a bit. Hard to pass up the PRO at such a price, when the 1TB is going so reasonably elsewhere. If you're going to do that, you might drop the HDD, too. Save you $233 toward another storage solution. Just spitballin

So you suggest the 512 because of the price I'm all for saving money. My goal is to have a minimum of 1 terabyte worth of storage consider I've only been using a 120 GB SSD so the 512 you're suggesting in the one terabyte I would love or more than I've ever had to deal with.

Please elaborate specifically on what secondary drive you would suggest that work with the motherboard suggested.

All I do is play games web Surf and on occasion watch Netflix and I play blizzard games so I know a bill to max out the settings with a 2060 but I'm going above that.

Thank you everyone for the input I'm using voice input please excuse spelling and grammatical errors.

... fixed broken quote ...

Edited by Snaike - 27 Aug 2019 at 12:38am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 7:00am
The secondary drive could be another M.2 NVMe drive which, like the 970 PRO, plugs directly into the mobo (M.2 slot) and is fastened down with a single screw. That could be of a size to be determined. Perhaps the 1TB HockyBuck suggested, but if you buy it elsewhere, you'll save quite a bit. Samsung one is $169 on Amazon ATM. You could put off that purchase until you had your 970 PRO filling up, and maybe get it even cheaper at that point.

You could also go for a regular 2.5 inch SATA SSD, but I don't think the slight savings is worth the loss in speed. NVMes are up to 5x as fast as they access the PCIe bus.

We tend to recommend Samsung as they are the best, and they are the choice available at DS. But other makers are viable at even greater savings as well. Crucial comes to mind, but I don't have all the details on that one. I know it's cheaper.

In any case, I'd encourage you to perhaps move away from HDDs for the future. They are dirt cheap for a lot of storage, but their days are numbered. Better for archiving, but not to work from.

Hope it helps.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ThePinkGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:52am
The correct 10-year build has been, purchased!
 Post Reply Post Reply