FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Out of loop- Decided to purchase gaming pc

Post Date: 2019-07-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
iosman123 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote iosman123 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Out of loop- Decided to purchase gaming pc
    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:52pm
Hello,

Budget:
$800-$1300. i am willing to spend all of this on the computer itself. That is, I won't be purchasing accessories or a monitor out of this amount.

I have a monitor. This one actually: (wouldn't not let me link) But it's just a 22 inch LG, model number: LG 22MP56

I realize it's nothing too special, but I could potentially upgrade down the road.

Expectations:

I'm really just looking for a solid gaming computer. I have an MBP that I use for work related stuff. I'm not the type that needs to play the latest FPS on ULTRA settings. But at the same time- if spending an extra $200-300 would help future proof my system then that's fine. I'm actually getting this to play Pillars of Eternity, which I realize is not a demanding game. I haven't considered myself a pc gamer for probably a decade. So now that I've got the bug, I figure I might as well spend some extra money and get something "okay". For instance, I'd like to play Fallout 4 on high settings.

Usage:

Please see above under expectations. I will pretty much only be using this for gaming.

Special Needs:

Silly question... but I gather that this computer doesn't come w/ the ability to connect wirelessly to my router. I'll need this. We have very good internet here, and I have a nice apple router (imo). Anything wrong w/ just using the usb to connect?

Saved Ticket #:

N/A

Specifications:

I am looking at the Vanquish Level 2 or Level 3. I guess my concern is that I've read that the motherboard on the level 2 system doesn't leave much/any room for upgrading in the future. Is the level 3 much better in this regard though and worth the extra cash? I must admit I'm quite the newcomer to this stuff. What little I know I've learned from 4 or 5 hours of research in the last couple of days.

thanks
iosman.

Edited by iosman123 - 08 Aug 2019 at 10:03pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 12:58pm
It's interesting they have recently configured the Vanquish and the Lynx with the same parts. They used to be somewhat different, with the Lynx the better buy. Now that they are the same inside, take your pick.

I'd prefer the level 3 for you, as the 16GB of RAM, the RTX 2060 GPU, and the stronger Ryzen 2700 CPU, will all carry you several years into the future without any expensive upgrades. Stick with a 1080p monitor, and either level 3 will be gaming well for several years. The 2060 will give you solid framerates at or near maximum settings at that monitor resolution. That longevity (oh, and better future upgradability) is definitely worth the extra money.   
 Post Reply Post Reply