Post Date: 2022-05-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
arnoldobraun View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote arnoldobraun Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: PC Quality Question
    Posted: 11 May 2022 at 8:46am
Hello I have had a console for many years now and been wanting to switch to PC I have looked into building a pc but decided that I was to unexperienced I’ve never built a PC nor owned one. Many of my friends tell me not to buy a prebuilt pc as the parts/computer many not be the best but this site looks promising. To everyone that has bought a Pc from this site. Which one did you buy? How much did it cost? How has the PC been any damages or has it been amazing? Lastly, how long have you owned it for?

Thank you for any replies that you will give me!
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2022 at 11:26am
I have the Velox and had it built by DS over a year ago. Still works like a charm and will for some time to come. Cost of a PC built here, or anywhere, will depend on many factors. What resolution is your monitor that you will be playing on will determine what GPU (graphics card) you will need at a bare minimum. What kind of cooling do you want? On and on.

DS has been around for some time and has always built very good gaming PCs. They are not afraid to have a users forum, where any of us could sound off with reasons NOT to buy from them, but those are few and far between. And those negative posts almost always stem from expecting way to much from the PC they told DS to build.

Shop around. I don't care where you look, all Custom PC builders will be in the "ballpark" price wise, if you spec the same PC from each one. Difference here is, DS does NOT try to oversell you on something you don't need.

There are many users here that can suggest a very good build for you IF, IF, IF you give them some details on what you are shooting for, what monitor resolution you will be playing on and the price range you would like to stick to if possible.

Shipping is another story. DS packs there PCs, once built and tested, very well. Shippers seem to throw things around much more that usual these days. If a shipper damages your PC, DS will make it right.

Best of luck on your journey in to PC gaming!

Edited by fwfdfireman - 11 May 2022 at 11:28am
Old Gamers Never Die!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2022 at 1:18am
Welcome to DS and the pc world.Awesome

DS will build you as custom a pc as you want with the hardware you pick for a fee or you can configure one with the available top end parts in the configurator or even order a pre-built ready to go. You will not find a dedicated forum with many builders and there are a lot of friendly members ready to offer their assistance on any matter.

Enjoy. Smile

I have a 2014 Aventum II still using original hardware with exception of the graphics cards which had to be updated. Also have a 2015 Velox with new gpu.
Both work great.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2022 at 3:24am
I have had my 2014 Vanquish (Pre-built budget) model for 8 years. One of the best purchases I've ever made, not only in computers, bug in general. There were no damages and it has been amazing.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Online
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2022 at 4:26am
Normal expectation from a DS gaming build can easily exceed 5 years of constant use. My first build from 2010 lasted me 7.5 years without any major upgrades added. The one I have now is almost 4.5 years old, and still meets my needs easily. I have never had any more than a case fan fail on either rig.

Neither build came with the very best available parts. I prefer to purchase a more modest build and add to it if/when I need to. They both cost around $2200. Neither one has needed upgrading with more than some added storage. A custom build along the lines I may suggest will cost a bit more than that at this time, but that's because video card prices are very high because of shortages for the last couple of years.

Here's a sample of something I might recommend for a new user on a modest budget:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4393012

This build will be a strong performer for gaming for at least 5 years IMHO. Extremely fast and responsive. All you might need to add would be some additional solid state (SSD) storage that's pretty easy to do yourself. A couple of years from now when that might be needed, it will likely cost less than it does now.

We can go lower in price with a pre-built Lynx, or we can go higher with a different case and a bit stronger build, but the example is a very powerful gaming unit. Look up some reviews on the CPU (Intel 2600K) and the GPU (Nvidia 3060 Ti). Also, check out the Samsung 980 PRO SSD. It's one of the faster storage options available. This rig should be up and running in under 20 seconds.   
JamesAstro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2022 at 10:50pm
I've had three PC's from DS since 2008. They weren't all perfect. However, DS always stood behind their work, and fixed any problems that I had during the warranty period. Right now I have a Velox machine that I love. My next PC will definitely be a DS machine too. I trust this company.

Edited by JamesAstro - 12 May 2022 at 10:51pm
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 3090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2022 at 11:02pm
I just upgraded from a 12 year old Digital Storm that still is a nice gaming machine that is now a shared family computer. In the 12 years I have had it the only thing I had to replace was a fan in the V8 CPU cooler. No big deal.

I absolutely love my new Velox system and it is so nice to have a system that loads the OS is just a couple seconds and allows me to run my games on max settings.

Digital Storm staff are always there to help if you need to call them. One of the best things about DS is the Forum you are on now. They helped me configure both of my systems and give quick advice on questions I have asked.

The Forum also is a treasure trove for monitoring technical issues that people have faced or became aware of with OS or with gaming issues for example.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3200 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler dual fan/
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2022 at 12:41pm
tbh, if i don't feel like doing it myself my first priority is how close do i live to the builder.  i hate shipping them for the obvious reasons (potential damage and downtime). 

after that, what kind of rep does the company have with customer care/service/reliability/communication/etc.  basically, how hassle free is the experience getting your problem resolved in a timely/professional manner. 

i won't lie, DS has had some communication issues in my experience, but they ALWAYS tried to resolve my issues as best they could in order to satisfy me the customer.  i think they truly value their customers and whatever their past problems were they were most likely due to normal growing pains.  can they competently build you a pc to fit your needs?  yes they can.  will it be cheaper than if you do it yourself?  no, it will not.  however, your value will depend on how much a warranty and product service peace of mind you get from having a boutique builder handle your build. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 2800MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Intel 750 400GB PCIE-NVMe
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
2xSLI Asus GTX 980ti Strix
Windows 10Pro
 Post Reply Post Reply