FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please help me build a Bolt 3

Post Date: 2015-04-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bxstrb View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bxstrb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Please help me build a Bolt 3
    Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:16pm
Hi forum members...So I've somehow come up with 25 configurations of various PCs from 4 different sites. Haha. Somehow, I keep coming back to Digital Storm and the Bolt 3. There are cheaper configs and boxes out there but it's all about that case, bout that case. Isn't that a song? Can you help an indecisive guy out so he can pull the trigger?

Some thoughts:
- Man do i like that cooling unit with the red tubes. I like the way it looks but do I need it with my build? I specced it with a 980 with NO overclocking.
- Worth it if I did overclock everything and add the upgraded cooling unit?
- Replace the 980 with a Titan X for future proofing?
- Does Digital Storm have better Memorial Day sales? haha

Budget:
$2500 for computer only. Could stretch more if needed.

Expectations:
Must be a small form factor for living room since it will be hooked to a 65" TV at 1080p but soon to be replaced with 4K TV this year. Must play games at high/ultra settings at 1080p 60fps or higher and 4k in the foreseeable future. Needs to last for 4 to 5 years before upgrading.

Usage:
Only to be used for gaming to supplement my consoles. It will become the default platform for any AAA games as well as games I can't get on consoles. Mostly games from Steam and god forbid, Origin and Uplay. :-/

Special Needs:
Fairly quiet would be nice. Need to know best way to minimize dust going into it as well. Must make my PS4 and Xbone quake in fear.

Saved Ticket #: 1183005

Specifications:
[Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Pre-built Digital Storm Bolt 3
Exterior Finish: Black Brushed Aluminum Hairline Finish
Trim Accents: - No Thanks
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97I-PLUS (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Mini-ITX)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 600W SilverStone SX600-G (Gold Plus Rated) (Supports up to GTX TITAN X)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: High Performance Cooler with Five Heatpipes
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Black 120mm Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Internal + Front Panel RGB LED Lighting
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 11:34pm
I'd opt for the CPU water cooling and the 850 Pro SSD over the 850 EVO.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:25am
Hi bxstrb,

Your system will do find with 1920 x 1080 but it isn't going to give you smooth viewing with 4K. Even a Titan is going to be marginal. In any event if you want 4K I don't think a single 980 is going to do it for you.    

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 20 Apr 2015 at 5:26am
bxstrb View Drop Down

Quote bxstrb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:39am
Thanks Frank. As far as I know I can't really do dual cards in the Bolt 3 case right? Maybe I should just go with 980 and hopefully 3 years from now there'll be a new Titan that can handle 4k easily with just one card. I could swap then and just use the built in upscaler on the 4k tv for now. Not sure how good or bad that will look though. What do you think? Thanks.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:59am
Hi bxstrb....   The Bolt  can't do a sli setup like you said.  The mobo only has the single Pcie x16 slot.

Here's a link that shows the gtx 980 at various resolutions......

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1351

The Titan X is roughly 20% better in fps.  Here's another link to check out.....

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/201346-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-reviewed-crushing-the-single-gpu-market/2

Hope this helps.  Big%20Smile

EDIT... for 4K, you can play pretty much anything, but game settings and fps will drop.   4K is about a 1920x1080 times 4.   Needs a lot more horsepower. 

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Apr 2015 at 6:01am
bxstrb View Drop Down

Quote bxstrb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 6:13am
Very helpful. Those numbers are in line with what I've seen. Looks like the 980 can still handle some games at 4k resolution alright. Maybe that will be good enough for now until I can upgrade the card in a few years. Will have to rethink this build or even this case. Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 6:28am
Yeah, for max flexibility, a case change would help.   Here's a couple of comparisons just for fun Big%20Smile

Length............Width........Height

Bolt 3............                         15"                 5.8"(edited)              18.3"

Coridium(Corsair 450D)....   19.4                8                  19.5

Air 540                                  18.3               13                 16.4

The Coridium is 4" longer but the other specs are close.    Assuming my specs are right, not as much difference as some might think, imho.

Bolt 3 does have the feet for laying it flat. 

Just something to think about.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Apr 2015 at 7:09am
bxstrb View Drop Down

Quote bxstrb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 7:41am
Hmmm. The Air 540 case actually looks like a build I configured from another site. The Coridium Case looks so big. I need something that doesn't look like a gaming tower and fits in more with my home theater components. I'm a UI/UX designer so looks matter alot to me. The Bolt 3 case is nice because it's subtle but the clear glass brings it up a notch.

I wish Digital Storm had a picture with all the computers side by side so you could see relative sizes between them. I find it really hard to find case dimensions in their descriptions.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 7:45am
Hi bxstrb,

bprat22 has given you some good information. I think you might be smart to rethink your Bolt case. Having only one PCIe x16 slot is very limiting for 4K. A Titan would help you with 4K but two 980s would be better for 4K. That is better for games that are optimized for SLI.

I don't know how a 4K TV works for gaming.

The cases that bprat22 suggested are two very good cases and would look good in a living room. I think that the Air 540 with its boxy design would look less computer like. The Corsair 450D is a neat case that is not too big.

Frank

The Coridium Case:

The Air 540 Case:
bxstrb View Drop Down

Quote bxstrb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 8:15am
I definitely like that Air 540 case. Wish DS had a config using that case. Out of all the other builders I feel like I could trust them the most.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 8:20am
DS does use that Air 540 in their configs.    Not pre-configured but there to select.  Go to the Apollo section for example, and select Change under the Chassis Model.  Then from there, just plug in the case you want, the  gtx 980, the drives you want, etc. 

If sli is the goal, just make sure to select a sli capable mobo, like the Gigabyte Z97X, Asus Sabertooth, etc.   

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Apr 2015 at 8:23am
bxstrb View Drop Down

Quote bxstrb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 9:44am
bprat22, thanks I didn't even see that option before! Now I can add a 27th configuration to my list. :-) At this rate, I'm afraid I may never buy a computer. Paralysis by analysis and so forth. lol..

Edited by bxstrb - 20 Apr 2015 at 9:44am
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 10:21am

https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1183357

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
Gunner GzR View Drop Down

Quote Gunner GzR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 10:48am
Big%20Smile i was right there with you. I configured reconfigured , asked questions of my friends. Bugged poor Brian on the chat several times and finally placed my order Saturday. Strong. I did not get everything i wanted due to budget (got gtx 970's instead of 980 cards) but it will be a awesome systemDrooling

You are in the right place for a great system
bxstrb View Drop Down

Quote bxstrb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 12:28pm
Congrats Gunner GzR on your new computer. Heck I'm excited for you. So you got dual 970s in your rig? I'm still deciding on dual cards now OR a single card now and replace it in 2 years when technology has improved to the point that one card can do 4k easily.

I guess I'm really hoping for the 1 card solution so I can have my Bolt 3 case, fits in my budget right now, and less hassle if a game doesn't have SLI support at launch. I need to read up more on the benefits/drawbacks of 2 cards versus 1 card.

Edited by bxstrb - 20 Apr 2015 at 12:32pm
bxstrb View Drop Down

Quote bxstrb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 1:28pm
Pacesetter, thanks for the config. Here is mine:
https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1183478

It's interesting how our prices are similar but you opted for dual 970s and I opted for single 980.

I don't know much about dual card setups. If a new game comes out and doesn't have SLI support, would the wait be long for it to be implemented? I buy games I want to play on day one so I could see myself getting frustrated. Or do I just somehow turn off a card so I can play in single card mode?

I'm more about simplicity and less hassle. Thoughts?

Edited by bxstrb - 20 Apr 2015 at 1:31pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 1:44pm
Sli can be turned off and on in Nvidia Control Panel.   

You are better off with a single card if possible, but for 4k, right now, no single gpu can handle it at higher settings and frames.   Who knows down the road.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 2:29pm
You can do dual GPUs in the Bolt 3, but it won't be cheap. You'd need to use something like a Supermicro RSC-R2UT-2E8R to split the x16 PCI-e lanes into two x8 lanes. But, since there is no spacing between the two PCI-e slots on the riser, you'll have to have a GPU that is only a single slot wide, at least for the rear card. The only high-performance consumer graphics card on the market that is capable of a single slot is the EVGA GTX 980 Classified K|ngp|n. You'd want to set it up so the rear card is water cooled (hooked into the water cooling loop the CPU uses) and keep the front card air-cooled, as the single GPU and CPU will be pushing the cooling through the radiator. You'd need to split up the PCI-e power connectors to go to all of the connectors on the cards and the risers, but they are all coming from the same 12V rail on the PSU.   Some people have had dual GTX 980 with an i7-5930K processor running on the same power supply, so power should be fine and capable (don't expect much overhead for overclocking, however).

So...doable, but expensive and probably worth looking at other options.
bxstrb View Drop Down

Quote bxstrb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 7:16pm
Thanks..yeah that sounds like its beyond my skill level. I'll either go with the single card and a bolt or the air 540 case with dual cards. Thank you all for your help.

Edited by bxstrb - 20 Apr 2015 at 7:16pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 11:02am
Part of the reason why you go to a place like Digital Storm is so they can do the complicated stuff for you. If you really like the Bolt 3 chassis, as you've mentioned above, if you're willing to spend a little more, you can do it. I'd expect for a system like this to run a little more than $4K.
 Post Reply Post Reply