FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please Review My Current Build

Post Date: 2016-06-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pontificus View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pontificus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Please Review My Current Build
    Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 11:47am
Greetings,

I'd appreciate it if someone with some expert knowledge could inspect my current gaming rig build.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Coridium
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i GTX - 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Expectations:
I'd like this rig run games on ultra performance settings and have no trouble maintaining that level of performance for at least 4 to 5 years without having to upgrade any components.

Usage:
Mainly gaming and a little recreational graphic design work. The games I normally play are WoW, StarCraft 2, Diablo 3, (I'd like to start playing Overwatch, I'm a Blizzard junkie, I know Wink), and lets throw a little Dota 2 in there as well. Looking to game on a single 1440 144 mhz monitor.

Side Note:
The current build maximizes my budget, so if the GTX 1070 can meet my expectations right on par with the 1080 that would be good to know.

Lastly, any recommendations for a good 27 inch monitor with the capabilities I mentioned above? I've done a little research myself, but would appreciate some outside advice as well.

Thanks in advance!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 1:08pm
Hi Pontificus.... Welcome to the forums.

The build looks good to me.   For your games at 1440p at 144ghz, the 1070 will play great. It beats the 980 ti.    The games aren't as demanding as others out there. If you ever decide to play the more demanding games, and want max settings and stay 60fps and above, the gtx1080 with its 25% better performance will make a difference.    A 1080 p monitor only requires a 1070.   A 1440p and up gets more demanding.   A gtx 1070 can certainly play at 1440p for anything out there, just not maxed with higher frames.

Looking for excellent , maxed out gaming over 4-5 years is a bit of a stretch to keep up.    Graphics cards are typically , as a general rule, replaced every 3 years or so . You can run a card for 4-5 years, but settings might need tweaking down.   Still good gaming, just not maxed.

Hope this helps.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 4:27pm
I like the build, I think 1080 is a good choice if the budget is there, but that is because I like to have the games to full settings, plus if you go to other games at that res they will need a bit more gpu power.

Having said that bp22 is dead on the money with what he says, so I guess you need to think hard about which direction you would like to go.

Having said that if you are only gonna stick with the games you named and don't need the extra power of 1080 then bp22 suggestion is the best idea.

We give you:

Quote Pontificus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 7:26am
I appreciate the input guys! Thanks!

That being said, no matter if I go with the GTX 1080 or 1070 with my build. I want to make sure I'm getting all I can out of it in terms of what I see on a display. I'd for sure like a 27 inch display with G-SYNC and the only models I'm seeing out there are the Asus ROG SWIFT and the Acer Predator monitors. From what I've read, both models share their own quality issues so I'm not really sure which model to purchase. It seems either way, you're kind of playing the odds. Any thoughts or other options I should consider before making a choice?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 7:30am
You got a ticket number for that build

Quote Pontificus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 7:34am
Configuration Code: 1436101
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 7:57am

I'm a big fan of airflow specially right over the pgu mobo so for this case if they can do it I picked this "case modification" you can see in the build, adds 2 fans to your side window for better temps and airflow, your cpu is under lc and the rad will appreciate the extra airflow, your mobo and gpu and ram have no lc and will appreciate the airflow even more. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you are going to have high temps without them, that depends on your ambient temp, load temps and case temp/airflow, and I assume you are going to be fine, so this is not an argument from the "high temp" point of view, my reason is simple, heat is the enemy of all your pc components so to me its simple:

if head + components = shorter life span for components,

then

more airflow = better/cooler temps = better life for components.

I had this done for case, I had them do a custom job for me and install 4 x 140mm fans on an extra side window for my custom hailstorm, so I have 2 side windows for my system, once original with no fans and one with 4 x 140mm fans, my cpu/mobo/gpus are all under dual loop lc, and I have 2 huge rads one for each loop, I can tell you that my temps are better with the side window fans then without, and because of this I'm gonna always optout to get side windows fan based on my experience.

Again its a personal choice based on pursuit of best/better temps.

Quote Pontificus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 8:05am
I like the fact it's not a significant increase in build price either, and if it helps extend the life of my components I'm definitely all for it. Money well spent in the long run.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 8:17am
To be honest I'm not sure how much of a difference the better airflow it makes for you, or if you will have the pc long enough to see the fruits of it. As I mentioned its more the pursuit of better temps, the price is not that much. If you have this pc for more then 4 years they would be a good help then too.

I'm just a big fan of airlfow and used to and still do love the haf (high air flow) case for its airflow but I wish it was a bit more sturdy, but it is still one of fav cases because of its big fans and air flow. DS no longer carries them, they are not the best case for shipping, since its not a metal case.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Jun 2016 at 8:19am

Quote Pontificus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 8:30am
Yep, I would love to see this pc last 4+ years so I think increasing the airflow is a solid investment and I'm glad you brought it to my attention.

Now, all I need to do is find a monitor to pair with this bad boy and I'll be good to go!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 8:35am
When you look at monitors, forget contrast ratio and response time, they are totally bogus numbers that are not even comparable from one set to another due to different methods used to get the lowest number. Instead look at monitor type and viewing angle and color.

Wish I could recommend one to you but I've been out of the game for a bit and am not upto date on current monitors yet.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Jun 2016 at 8:36am

Quote Pontificus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 8:52am
It's all good. You've been a great help. I really appreciate it!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 8:58am
My pleasure and good luck
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 1:22pm
i've got the Acer Predator XB271HU (27" IPS w/GSync 144Hz native/165Hz overclock) arriving tomorrow.  i can let you know how it performs soon. 

i selected this monitor after i realized the ultra wide (Asus PG34Q) wasn't quite performing how i'd hoped.  the current ultra wide's run at 60Hz native and up to 100Hz overclocked. 

i also tried the Acer Predator 4K 32" monitor, and while i thought the quality was there, again 60Hz is just too slow for me, as i come from 1080p 120Hz monitors. 

both the 1070 and 1080 are display port 1.3/1.4 ready, so you will be able to take advantage of new monitors that enable ultra wide 2k (and 4k) to run natively at 120Hz should you decide to wait.  unfortunately, my rig is config'd with 2xsli 980ti's in a custom water loop, so i'm committed to/stuck with monitor tech of today. 

the 1070 performs on par, by and large, with the GTX 980ti/Titan X in the bench mark testing i've seen.  some games are a few fps better or worse between the high end Maxwell and this Pascal card, especially when you factor in overclocking (as the 980ti overclocks a little better).  on an unlimited/large budget i'd recommend getting the most single card graphics power possible.  for tight budgets, if you can find a significantly cheaper 980ti to the 1070 i'd suggest buying it-otherwise buy the 1070.   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply