FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about the Vanquish 3 level 3

Post Date: 2015-08-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ggny76 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ggny76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Questions about the Vanquish 3 level 3
    Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 9:36pm
Hey all!

My current computer is on it's very last leg (6+ years old) and I've heard a lot of good things about Digital Storm! I'm looking at the Vanquish 3 "level 3" because though I'd love my new box to have Skylake, I can't afford the extra money for "level 4" right now.

My questions:

1) Is the performance difference between Devil's Canyon and Skylake that big?

2) I'd like to play all the current/past games out there at 1080p on very high/ultra settings with reasonable framerates (45+). Is that possible with this rig? I'm talking Dragon Age: Inquisition, Witcher 3, Tomb Raider, Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, Metro 2033: Last Light, etc.

3)Since I'm not able to go with a 6th gen processor, how long can I expect a system like this to last? How upgradeable is it really?

And lastly

4) Is there really, absolutely no way to customize any of the hardware on this thing? Because boy I really want an internal Blu-Ray drive instead of just a DVD. That's actually a big sticking point. But I think I already know the answer to this question, so oh well. :P

Thanks in advance for any responses. Hope you have some input.

-G

Edited by ggny76 - 24 Aug 2015 at 9:39pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 12:35am
Hello ggny and welcome to the forums.

I'll let the smarter people answer the first three questions for you, but I can tell you about number 4... the Vanquish line is prebuilt so in-house customization is not an option. This is to keep the price points lower.

You can upgrade yourself when you get it. The Corsair 230T case has gobs of room for poking around in and adding more toys.

hope that helps.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 3:57am
Hi ggny76...1. Benches show about a 10% increase in frames with Skylake, some less and some like Witcher 3 a bit more.   For the most part you probably won't know the difference. That's comparing both i5's, the i7-6700k is a bit better with some games more cpu dependant but the 4590k is still an excellent chip.

2...I have a 4-5 year old i5-2500k paired with a gtx 970 modestly oc'd and have Skyrim and Witcher 3 maxed out on 1080p, so you should be fine.

3...The cpu is usually good for 4 or 5 years, the graphics card about 3 years to stay current.

4...no way to customize.

The Vanquish lvl 3 is a real good gaming rig for the money, even with the little older processor.   Skylake's biggest avdvantages are the ddr4 ram, storage and usb.   For a lot of gamers, not a big difference.

DS will be upgrading to Skylake at some point, but it might be a month or two.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Aug 2015 at 4:12am
ggny76 View Drop Down

Quote ggny76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 10:42pm
Thanks for the responses, guys!

Just ordered my Vanquish 3 "Level 3". *crosses fingers*

Hoping for good things to come!
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 10:57pm
You can easily buy a Blu-Ray player and install it. Make sure you have an extra SATA cable or get one of those, too. There should be an extra power connector that comes with your computer so, that should be good.

I'd suggest getting a BDXL player. All things so far are pointing to the UltraHD Blu-Rays coming out later on this year to be 3- or 4-layer Blu-ray disks, which are BDXL. You'd still need to have a software player that can decode H.265 (HEVC), regardless.
 Post Reply Post Reply