Recommend a Case for Apollo Series

Post Date: 2016-11-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Recommend a Case for Apollo Series
    Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 7:47am
I'm just starting to look at buying a new system and I wanted to know which cases people like. I'm leaning toward the Apollo line at the moment. My new PC will sit on the floor. I like a quiet computer with good cooling. This will be my main PC that I use for everything including a lot of gaming. Budget is around $2,000 give or take $500.

Any advice on which case to go with?

Thank you.

Edited by sbradfor - 12 Nov 2016 at 7:49am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 8:10am
Forst, don't put it on the floor.  That's where all the dust and hair swirl around and get picked up by the fans.  It'll mean more cleaning.  Even a foot ot two off the floor will make a difference.

For your budget and most likely a single video card system without the Pro water cooling, any of the cases will work.  Aesthetics plays a big role.

What's the rig for and what resolution monitor ?

The Slade, Corsair 600Q, will be the quietest.    The Apollo default 760T case is a very good all around case.

The Velox has about the best air cooling.

A consideration is your desk setup.  The Apollo 760t has a left facing window and the Velox a right facing window.  Might make a difference.

They all work.  Big%20Smile

sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 8:48am
It is for gaming. Current monitor is 1920 x 1080, but I may buy a new one as well. It will be a single video card and DS Vortex water cooling most likely for CPU and air cooling elsewhere.

As to windows, it doesn't really matter. I don't care much either way. Generally, I use the computer for about 3 years where the window would face left to be seen and then I buy a new system and this one will become my wife's PC so a window would only be seen if it was facing right. But again, not a big issue for me.

Thanks for all the information about cases! I'll look into all of those!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:47am
list us your specs let us help you, you don't want vortex its not the best cooler, I would go with h115i if you want the least headache and best performance. remember all lc is not the same.
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:54am
Thanks for the tips DST4ME. I have never used liquid cooling before so I know nothing.

As to specs, I'm working those out as we speak. I don't have them yet. I started with cases and I'm working my way along from there. I tend to like bigger cases than smaller ones.

I do know this for specs:

Windows 10 Pro
At least 16GB RAM, probably 32GB
I'm not sure which video card yet. Probably the GTX 1070. I have to do research on this for the sweet spot.
As to motherboard, I'm not up to speed yet on these motherboards. Again, more research.
I will go with an SSD and a 2 TB SATA. I don't know which yet.

The rest is yet to be determined. I just started this process this morning.

Thank you all for the replies and information!

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 4:51pm
Well luckily for you we have already done all the work for you, I know exactly whats what, so I can help you real quick and if you like you can go research what I told you and see for yourself.

but first, with all due respect you are doing this all wrong.

what we are doing here is building a race car. So the first thing we need to know is what kind of a race is it.

so to turn that over pc is the race car and your use is the race, you say your pc is for lot of gaming, ok then, in order to build a pc for gaming we need to know your track, aka what resolution are you gonna be gaming at.

Yes as crazy as that sounds, if you want the best bang for your buck you need to build your pc around the resolution you want to game at for the next 2 years.

for example if its 1080p, then we know exactly what gpu we want to max that res, that tells us our psu/mobo/case needs. However if the res it 1440p or 4k then its a whole different story.

so If I may, why don't you let me know what res or monitor you are gonna be gaming at and I will config a system for you and if you have questions on the parts I can answer them for you.

so if I can know your res, other then gaming what will the pc be used for?

thank you
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 4:59pm
Currently, I have a 1080p 27" Samsung monitor. It is about 6 years old. As of right now, I'll be gaming at 1080p. I might consider buying a newer monitor. I'm not sure how much longer this one will last. As of right now, it is 1080p.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 5:06pm
Well we dont' want to build one for 1080P and then need one to max out 1440p next year, but its up to you.

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

Bit of info:

1. Do not install Mcafee , instead get a lighter better anti virus like ESET ( number 3 on the list ) Or any other good light Anti Virus will do.

2. The warranty here is 3 year labor and 1 year parts so if you want higher part warranty be sure to raise the warranty level to the desired level.

Ok so above I gave you a 1070gtx will does great at 1080p and good at 1440p so you are kinda covered. we recommend gpu upgrade every 2-3 years, with that this pc shoud do great for you in the next 4-6 years.
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 5:10pm
Thanks for the info DST4ME. How would it change for higher res like 1440 or above? Since I'm not buying a monitor right now, it makes it kind of hard to know. Should I build for a better monitor with higher res?

I'd kind of like to go to 30". I've looked at the curved ones but I'm not sure if that is any more than a gimmick.

Again, thank you!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 5:15pm
Ok lets clarify, the size of the monitor does not matter, its the res that does, a 30" can be 1440p or 4k, big difference there.

So lets talk resolution instead of size. let me ask you this, a good ips,144hz 4k monitor (not even out yet till h1 of 2017) is gonna cost a pretty penny, what is the budget for the monitor? that should help us, budget always dictates.
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 5:22pm
I'm not interested in 4k. It just seems too high for my old eyes (I'm 53). 1080p seems fine at 27". I figured if I go to 30" down the road, 1440 would be enough most likely.
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 5:23pm
Maybe this will help. I play a lot of shooters (like The Division or Borderlands 2). I'll be getting BF1 soon. I also play a lot of strategy games like Sins of a Solar Empire, Stellaris, etc.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 5:57pm
I think a 1070 is the way to go for you, its great at 1080p and good at 1440p so either way you are good to go. Those are the type of games I had in mind.

I think that build will do great, if you have any question on it let me know.
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 6:00pm
Will do. I've been doing research on this all day. Finally decided on the case and CPU (both the same as the ones you picked. Now comparing graphics cards. Looking like the 1070 is sweet spot so far, then it will be which 1070. From there, I'll move on to memory. I'm leaning toward 32GB just to be a little more future proof.

From there I'll look at SSDs and what size/performance.

Thank you again DST4ME! You've been a great help! I'll post more questions/specs as I get them.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 6:15pm
My pleasure

You want to go with evga for both quality/performance and great customer service, you can go vanilla and oc it yourself if needed (you won't need it) or you can go with the super clock (sc) or the for the win edition (ftw) (they are not offered here on the 1070).

I'm not sure where you are doing your research but a great place to look at reviews that is creditable is anandtech, for gpus I love guru3d:

for ssd 950 was the king the 960 replaces it with better speeds, remember all ssds are not the same, quality/speeds differe, but here is a comparison of 960 vs 850, look at the 4KB speeds:

for ram 32GB is ok but 16GB is future proofing for gaming, otherwise 8GB is enough.

hope that helps.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Nov 2016 at 6:20pm
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 6:23pm
It does. Yeah I use Anadtech and a bunch of others. Good to know about EVGA. They made my last motherboard too.

I was just comparing 1080 to 1070 and 1060. Sure enough there is about 40% boost in performance to the 1070 from the 1060 but a much smaller boost to the 1080 from the 1060, so like your graph above, the 1070 is the sweet spot.

Thank you again!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 7:11pm
My pleasure and good luck
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 7:21pm
I just finished the graphics card reviews. Yet again, you were spot on! EVGA it is!

Do you have any advice on the motherboards or SSDs?

Thank you again for the help!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 7:56pm
SSD samsung is king, its just a matter of whether you want to go esata or pci, pci is much faster they are called m.2 drives, like the 950 pro and 960 pro here, the esata ssds are 850 evo and pro. As you saw from my chart the 960 is so much faster than the 850.

for mobo here its asus, which one is up to you, I can't really tell you one way or another, they all have mix reviews, but if you are building it yourself then go evga for sure.
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 8:22pm
No I'm having DS build it. My days of building it myself are over lol... Not enough time and these days I like letting someone else do it. They do a better job on cable management than I ever did!

Thanks for the info on SSDs. I'm going to start looking into them after I settle on which ASUS board.

Again, I appreciate all the help! Thank you!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 11:51pm
My pleasure
 Post Reply Post Reply