FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red CPU LED

Post Date: 2014-04-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tbutter View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tbutter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Red CPU LED
    Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 6:46pm
Hey all!!

So I've had a digital storm PC for a couple years now. I've done some additional work to it like adding another radiator, temp sensors, new tubing, etc. I took the radiators out for a cleaning today, and when I put it back together, the computer would not boot up. The red CPU LED stayed on.

I was just using it yesterday!! I've tried quite a few things like reseting the bios to factory, unplugging all the nonessentials, and using only one stick of RAM. I still had no luck. I checked the 24 pin and 8 pin CPU also.

I have a Sabertooth P67 with and intel i7 2600k.

I hope both the CPU and Motherboard aren't toast!

Help!!

Trevor
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 6:50am
I'm guessing you have the cpu under water and not the sealed H units?  If so, I would re-install the water block and keep it snug but not too tight.  A long shot if you didn't remove it before, but you might want to pop the cpu and check for any bent or burned pins. 

Unplug the rig from wall and hold in the power on button for several seconds to flush the board of stray faults. 

Check all the wires and plugs to the mobo and graphics card.  Especially the smaller ones on bottom right from front panel where power on and reset are in case you bumped something.

Do a system cmos reset.  Check the mobo manual for procedure.  If you don't have a cmos reset button, then there's usually a jumper below the cpu that is moved from pins 1&2 to 2&3, with psu off but plugged in, etc.  Check the manual.  You can also remove the battery for several minutes.

If you have a multi-meter i would check voltages to the 8 pin cpu plug.  Usually black is ground, yellow is 12vdc, red is 5 vdc and orange is 3.3 vdc. 

After that, a blown board or cpu is possible but tough to say from here. 

tbutter View Drop Down

Quote tbutter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 7:15am
Yes everything is water cooled.

I took precautions by putting on my static bracelet. I reset the CMOS and I've checked all the connections over and over!

Is there an easy way to tell whether it's the motherboard or CPU? When I turn it on to test I can feel the video card heating up. Not hot but just warm like during normal operation. Signs of a good motherboard and bad CPU??

I will double check the CPU pins tonight.

Again I didn't touch any of the hardware beside my radiators to clean out so that's why I am surprised by this happening all of the sudden.

Trevor
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 7:29am
I agree it is a little strange.   Other than checking voltages into the mobo, I don't know of any good way to isolate a cpu from mobo problem in the field.  

The green standby power LED on the bottom is on?   Also , I would try to push in the mem-OK button and hold per the manual to see if anything changes.   Bad memory I don't believe would cause this but ya never know and this does check the memory/cpu controller.    Might get lucky. 

This sounds so much like a pinched wire, somewhere.  Maybe, and not criticizing, it does happen, that a wire is pinched between the frame and rad.    Or a harness is pulled too tight, or kinked.   Try loosening the rads or anything else you worked on , eyeball everything again and hopefully it clears.

Take a real close look at the mobo.  Look for any debris, fluid, etc wedged between components.  Maybe hit the mobo with a blast of air. 

Look behind the mob where the standoffs are for anything stuck there.  

tbutter View Drop Down

Quote tbutter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 1:47pm
Yes the green led is on. Everything is full power but it sticks at the CPU led. I already tried the memok button. Flashes three times then restarts the PC where we end up at the red led again.

I'm going to check all of the wires. Again, I only disconnected fan wires....
tbutter View Drop Down

Quote tbutter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 2:13pm
CPU socket and CPU itself looks good. Checked wires and all are good....

I may just bite the bullet and get a new MB and CPU.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 3:09pm
I've read around and some people are saying that it's the CPU mount issue. make sure the contact between the cooler and CPU is right and not too tight.

If that doesn't fix it, it's either a bad motherboard or CPU.

EDIT: Did you remember to apply thermal paste when re-applying the block?

Edited by Nav - 27 Apr 2014 at 3:10pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 3:35pm
I have to agree with Nav.   Like was said earlier, a too tight a mount of the water block or not positioned correctly can simulate a bad cpu.   

Just seems strange all of a sudden.   

Best of luck.
tbutter View Drop Down

Quote tbutter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 6:15pm
Guys, the last time I cleaned the computer was at least 8 months ago. During that period I installed some quick disconnects to allow for seperation without taking the waterblocks off....so I didn't mess with those. I just removed the radiators. That's why this is soooo weird!

I probably will buy a new CPU and motherboard. I wish I new which one it is. Could I buy a new board first and try the CPU out or will it kill the board if the CPU is bad?

I'd rather test that out before shelling out 300 on a CPU.

If the GPU gets warm is that a good sign the board still works or can it be an isolated issue?

Trevor
 Post Reply Post Reply