Post Date: 2012-10-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Shoping Around
    Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 5:31pm
I am in the market for a new PC and have rediscovered DS.  I have just finished chemotherapy and I am unable to build myself a system that I would have liked before the treatments.  This is going to be a top build with the best processor, memory, power supply, SSD and motherboard available.  I do have a couple of questions since I have been out of the purchasing market for some time.
1. If given the choice between the ASUS Rampage IV and the EVGA X79 FTW, which one would you choose?
2. Can I specify that I want EVGA video cards?  What manufactures are being used?
3. Does the power supply come with all cables that are not being used at the time of the build?
4. I have never had a liquid cooled system before and I am hesitant about keeping it maintained.  Basically is there anything that I would need to worry about?  I am used to more fans the better.  How high the system could hover off the ground was a sign how well the cooling was performing.

Right now I would guess around $5000 is where I would like to spend but it will not be the determining factor.  Less would be better but I am not worried if it goes a bit higher.  I already have a 30" monitor, G15 keyboard, G930 headset that I am currently using.

Any comments for useful suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 6:07pm
Thanks for your interest in Digital Storm! I'll let our community chime in to help you out.

Also, if you ever need help directly from us, feel free to call us during business hours: 1-866-817-8676.
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 9:40pm
Maybe it is just me and I am currently not able to get this straight in my mind.  Concerning video cards and the configuration page you will see something like this:

2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
This telling me that there are two GTX 680 video cards running in SLI mode and each card has 2 GB on board.  The 2x and Dual to me is saying the same thing.

Now if you look further you will see something like this:
2x SLI Quad SLI (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB (Includes PhysX)
What is this telling me ? Two cards or four cards?

You will also see:
1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
This makes perfect sense to me.

So on the configuration page you have 1x and 2x.  Dual and Quad listed.  Where are the Triple SLI configurations?  What if I were to want Quad SLI 680 cards and not 690 cards?  Am I just not seeing something of the configuration page?

Getting confused.

shot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote shot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 10:03pm
Make sure when you are configuring your PC you click on "expert mode"  to see ALL the options.

The 690 card is basically 2 680's combined onto one card.

Shot
Intel i7-8700k
ASUS ORG STRIX Z370-H
16GB DDR4 3000mhz DSPS
1000W Corsair HX1000i
SSD M.2 1TB 960 PRO
SSD 256GB 850 PRO
GTX 1080Ti 11GB
Sound Blaster Z
Baby Huey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Baby Huey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 11:26pm
2x (cards) dual SLI because each card has one GPU.
The 690 has dual GPU's so 2x (card) is now a quad SLI.
So in essence one GTX 690 is running in dual SLI because of the 2 GPU's onboard.

Hope this clarifies.
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 5:11am
It does and thank you very much.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 7:38am
Hi JerryW......    Welcome to the forums.

Here's my take on things.   Big%20Smile

The difference between the two mobos is something to check out on the websites and see what features you want and don't want.  In general, I would pick the Asus Rampage because it allows easier oc'ing and allow 4 way card config.     The EVGA FTW mobo allows only 3 way card because of their x16 slot layout and it saved some money by not including a similar type Asus OC KEy adapter.  With the EVGA card you'd have to buy a EVbot for example from what I understand.   If you don't care about extreme oc'ing or going to a four card layout then either will work great.

If a card isn't specified by manufacturer on the config page then it can be any like MSI, Galaxy, etc dpending on what they can get for the price. 

If you go with a modular psu then all cables are included that come with it.

Water cooling vs air cooling.......  Water cooling for most is a luxury and not a necessity.  It looks great, gives bragging rights but unless you run the rig hard for long periods like with folding, circuit simulations, etc really not needed.  Nothing wrong with a good looking rig you can feel proud about but it does come down to money and if you want to maintain a water cooled system.

here's a config to check out to get ya started.

Config # 736379     Cost $ 3489

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

The HafX is the best here for air cooled systems.  If you want a full water cooled then the Hailstorm 800D is the way to go.

I went with the 4 core 3820 cpu over the six core 3930k cpu to save $300 and the 3820 is all you need for gaming.  But if in the budget then the 3930 certainly doesn't hurt.

Put in the 1200W psu in case you want to tri-sli or quad sli.  

The sli gtx 680 will play great with that monitor.

The cpu cooler,  I put in the Vortex 240mm.  Its a sealed unit, no maintenace and mounts under the top panel with its two fans on the rad.  A more dependable but much larger cooler is the Noctua D14 air cooler.   Not much to go wrong with a big block of cooling fins.

I gave you the free t-shirt . Drooling

Just a way to go and something to tweek.  Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 11 Oct 2012 at 7:44am
retirednavysnipe View Drop Down

Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 8:28am
JerryW, bprat always gives great advice on systems and I would highly recommend listening to him. I did and got a great system.   

My only thought would be the 3820 processor, I was going to go that route myself but DS stated that they were having problems with overclocking on the 3820 since the processor is not unlocked.

I went with the 3930K six core and love it to death.

Maybe DS will jump in and tell you if they are able to safely overclock that 3820.

Good luck on your choice and remember we love pics of systems when they arrive to you.
Hailstorm Black Ops
I7 3930K 4.5GHZ
16GB 1600MHZ ram
2 x GTX 680
120 GB SSD, 1 TB hardrive
Fully liquid cooled CPU, GPU and chipset.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 10:18am
I am not DS but you can OC the 3820 to stage 1 OC. (4.4/4.5)

If you go with regular LC the maintenance is not much. Some don't do anything till they see a problem. Others drain and refill the reservoir once a year. Some just top of the reservoir as it needs more fluid. You can use distilled water so easy to change if you want to. We have a lot of members with the regular LC and I don't see anyone complaining about maintaining their system. An occasional question on how to maintain it or about a problem. Not getting full LC because it is to much work is not valid in my opinion.

Frank

Here is a full LC system with the 3930K CPU and 4Gb GPU. You should consider increasing the warranty to 4 or 5 years. The 3 year warranty only gives you 1 year of parts replacement.

Configuration: 736419 Cost: $4930

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 12:01pm
There's really no point In getting the 3930k ds will still only oc to 4.5 ghz the same speed they get out of the 3820. Reviews that I have seen show that in most every situation the 3820 with 4cores performs bettter then the 3930 except when it comes to rendering. Besides save your money and invest in a large ssd or some nice monitors.
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 11:01pm
Some really interesting suggestions.  Not much different than what I have played around with on the configuration page.  I admit, I got a little crazy on one build and it was around $10k. 

It looks like you can not omit a video card from the system build or specify which manufacture you would like to have. 

What are your thoughts on getting the cheapest video card being offered and then purchasing exactly what I want from a different vendor?  I have had some really bad experience in the past from substandard parts being used on a couple vendors.

Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge that is the question.  Should I wait since 2013 is just around the corner?  I know what your thinking.  Get the motherboard, cheapest processor and then upgrade the BIOS and the processor when it comes out.

That is enough babbling from me at the moment.  Again, thanks for the comments and suggestions.  I am reading them all.

Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 1:35am
okay, some tips for you.

1. Unless you are folding, you really dont need 4GB vram cards. Stick with the 2GB cards.

2. Only need 1050Watt psu for dual SLI.

2. If you are doing a liquid cooling loop, unless you know what you are doing its gonna be "fun" adding a 3rd card, and the FPS difference is very small when going from two to three cards.

3. Most of the cards DS uses are by EVGA and Ive never had bad from them. If you need to know Alex can tell you.

4. If you arent planning on adding the 3rd card, drop the PSU to 1050W, and bump up the ssd to a 240GB and get the chipset cooled also. its one more moving part to eliminate.

Those are just a few things to consider. I'll post up an air cooled version that would have 3 cards after i do this post.

Edit:

Questions I forgot to ask:
What is your screen resolution?
What are you planning on using it for? (Gaming or rendering)
Are you planning on getting a second screen?

I myself have a Liquid cooled system, most are easy to take care of. Its pretty much top off fluid every so often but not all the way full. Drain it about once every couple of years and put in all fresh fluid.

Edited by Kaleliar - 12 Oct 2012 at 1:44am
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 1:38am
Configuration number: 736653

Cost $4995

Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)

Edited by Kaleliar - 12 Oct 2012 at 1:39am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 6:09am
Hi JerryW,

When you place your order you can ask for any GPU you want. If it is not the currant one they have in stock or if it is more expensive, there will be an additional charge. DS buys CPUs and GPUs in bulk to keep prices down. Their prices are based on their cost and if you deviate from the norm, you have to pay the difference.   

I suggest you show us your final build before you place your order. If you go air the HAF-X is a better case than the Hailstorm.

Frank
Baby Huey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Baby Huey Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 8:05am
Yeah. From my understanding they will install any hardware you want within reason, for purchase cost + installation.
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Kaleliar

Edit:

Questions I forgot to ask:
What is your screen resolution?
What are you planning on using it for? (Gaming or rendering)
Are you planning on getting a second screen?

I myself have a Liquid cooled system, most are easy to take care of. Its pretty much top off fluid every so often but not all the way full. Drain it about once every couple of years and put in all fresh fluid.

My 30" monitor does 2560x1600
Mostly it will be a gaming rig.  I do some Photoshop.  I don't want to be in a large fight only to have my screen freeze up and I can't do a thing until the fight is over.  It is the bottleneck I want to avoid with this new build.  I don't have the real estate for another monitor at this time.
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 10:03am
Okay, here is one build.  Note this test run to work out what I would like.
Curious about the upgraded fans with it stating up to 6.

Ticket Number: 736733
Total Price with Instant Savings: $5,572.00

Specifications:
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 64GB DDR3 1600Mhz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested) <b></b>
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 5: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU & Chipset <b></b>
H20 Tube Color:White Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) <b></b>
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (White) <b></b>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 10:30am
Hi JerryW    Nice build.

32GB ram is overkill unless your big into rendering, editing. 

Change to Win 7 Pro so you can use over 16GB ram.

For your single 30" monitor a sli gtx680 is all you need, I believe the 3rd one will just sit idle, but ask DS for their xperience.

The Zalman fans are noisy and really not needed for the HaFx's excellant cooling.  The HafX has a front 230mm fan and top side 200mm fan.  I believe your 240mm rad will mount to the top, in place of top fan.  The Zalman fans are a waste in my opinion.  I'm not sure where they would even put them other than replacing larger, quieter, slower moving fans.

Don't forget the free t-shirt.Drooling

Awesome rig and let us know .   Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 12 Oct 2012 at 11:08am
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 11:24am
Okay, with adjustments.

Ticket Number: 736767
Total Price with Instant Savings: $4,945.00

Specifications:
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 64GB DDR3 1600Mhz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 5: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU & Chipset
H20 Tube Color:White Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (White)
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large) <b></b>
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 11:30am
Awesome  Go for it. Drooling

Too much ram but  better than too little.  Hahaha

JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 12:19pm
I am not ready to pull the plug just yet.  I just watched a YouTube review of the case and I am not sure I like it.  I don't like thumbscrews that well.  The cpu opening for the mounting brace on the backside looks rather small for future upgrades.
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 2:13pm
For any game 16GB ram is fine.
If you are looking for a lot of room in the case a syndicate case (Mountain Mods 18" cube) would also work.

Unless you plan getting a second ssd you dont need to install games on it unless you play FPS. all other games it will help only the loading screen.

I noticed you arent going with LC on the cards.

try looking at this: 736824

Cost $4991

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Syndicate
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 5: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU & Chipset
H20 Tube Color:White Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes)
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks

For the Ram you can always just add more, though you might have to loosen the OC a tad to do it, DS would talk you through it if it were needed.

Edit: The hailstorm is about 20-25lbs empty as I recall. a well loaded machine can weigh easily 70+ and over 130lbs fully loaded. the syndicate is around 15lbs empty so thats something else to look at.

Edited by Kaleliar - 12 Oct 2012 at 4:51pm
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 5:35pm
Through the years, I learned to go ahead and spend the extra money and get what you want.  It would be dumb blind luck to get say 16GB and then add 16GB later and they match.  The machine I currently have only supported up to 8GB.  It came with 2GB and I thought I would upgrade later.  When I did upgrade the sticks didn't match and they ran at the slowest speed. 

LC just makes me nervous because I am unfamiliar with the whole process.  It would be really cool ( made a pun ) to have LC on the video cards as well.  I need to do some more research to see exactly how to install, remove, setup and replace a LC video card.  It is one item that is more likely to fail before anything else in the system that I have experienced.

What is this I see ?? Maybe I need to wait and see what is coming down the pipe.

Counting Down: A New Upcoming Gaming PC

Edited by JerryW - 12 Oct 2012 at 5:40pm
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 8:23pm
For the RAM, all you have to do is look at the sticks themselves and you can find what the RAM is. I'd say go with a max of 32GB as 64GB for a gaming nonrendering machine is true overkill. I have 24GB and it is more than enough for any game I play.

As for LC replacement of cards, if you have a card fail they ship one out to you (you cover shipping) and you send in the old one. the same is true for all parts with a possible exception of their in-house TEC LC system.

As for a wait and see, thats all good if you can wait till Ivy Bridge, go ahead, by then the new system they have will be out. The bad part of that you are waiting quite a while when you could have easily gotten a computer now that will last for 5 years (mine is a i7 920 and at 4 years old is still doing what I need).
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 9:47pm
Correct me if I am wrong. On a LC system it is just not a matter of removing the video card and replacing it. Don't you have to drain the system. Make sure the tubing is all dry. Remove the clamps, zip ties and tubing. Pull the card. Replace the card. Hook everything back up. Somehow make sure everything is water tight. Refill the cooling system.

This is something I've never done before. I was in IT/Tech Support/Novell-Groupwise Admin/Internet Security for the 30 some odd years I was employed. (medically disabled now) Yes, I am getting old.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 6:34am
Hi JerryW,

If you are going to LC the CPU then I would also go with the GPUs. If you go full LC then change to the Hailstorm case. It is made for full LC.

Order quick disconnects on the cooling tubes and you won't have to drain the system to change out a GPU. There is definitely more to do to change out a GPU but not overwhelmingly with quick disconnects. Look in the DS support videos. They have one that shows how to use the quick disconnects. You can also get drain connectors at the bottom of the case for draining the system.

Frank
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:26am
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi JerryW,

Order quick disconnects on the cooling tubes and you won't have to drain the system to change out a GPU. There is definitely more to do to change out a GPU but not overwhelmingly with quick disconnects. Look in the DS support videos. They have one that shows how to use the quick disconnects. You can also get drain connectors at the bottom of the case for draining the system.

Frank

To order the quick disconnects would just be on the comment section at the bottom of the configuration page? Meaning there is not an option on the LC cooling or tube selection when setting up the build.

Gesh.. I feel like a newbie.

Is there a link to that video. I've seem to come across them all except for the one I am looking for. Even one dude dress up in a costume named Gabbers. Very Odd
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:39am
Hi Alex,

I saw a video or photos on how to use the quick disconnects but can't find it now. Can you help.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 13 Oct 2012 at 9:51am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:46am
Hi JerryW,

Here is a couple of photos. I will look for the video.

Frank

Quick Disconnects

Drain Connections

Edit: I don't see a video or thread on using the quick disconnects. Alex can you help us out?

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 13 Oct 2012 at 9:47am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:52am
I can't find the video but here's a youtube as an example.

And the Koolance site with pics.

It might help. 

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Oct 2012 at 9:53am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:57am
Thanks bprat22, that youtube may be what I was thinking about.

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 10:03am
Big%20Smile    The no-spill quick disconnects are the way to go for sure.   Might cost more but saves pulling the hair out.  Hahaha  

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 11:15am
I don't believe our team made a video on the quick disconnects yet. But, we could install them if you would like them? Each connector will cost about $25 and you'll need two so $50 a connection and you'll need two per loop so that will be roughly $100.
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 12:02pm
Would I make a system like this configuration with special instructions.  Then call and actually talk to someone to go over it to make changes if necessary?  I am waiting to see what the new PC that is going to come out in a couple of weeks.  Also there is waiting for Ivy Bridge and see how a 6 core processor works with Windows 8 before I do anything.

Ticket Number: 737809
Total Price with Instant Savings: $6,421.00

Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=737809

Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 2133MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (600GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (32MB Cache) (Model: WD6000HLHX) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps) <b></b>
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Dual SLI/CrossFire Video Cards & Chipset <b></b>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <b></b>
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large) <b></b>
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty <b></b>

Special Assembly / Testing Instructions
EVGA Video cards prefered
Compression fittings on the tubing
Quick release, No Leak connectors to help replace video cards easier
Quick release connector for a drain plugs.

tju76 View Drop Down

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2012 at 12:28pm
first off there is no need for chipset liquid cooling unless you are an intense oc its just more money for no gain
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>