FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slade 2 / Question & General Feedback

Post Date: 2018-11-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dj_prouddad View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dj_prouddad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Slade 2 / Question & General Feedback
    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 7:53am
Hi everyone! I'm happy my Slade 2 finally arrived, but it had to happen during these days I work overtime while my boss is out on vacation, so I haven't had time to really play with it, but I do know it works, and I know that I already will love this machine.

However, sadly, it arrived slightly damaged. I'll include pics. I doubt it will affect performance, and I did set it up last night, just enough to power it on, and let Windows do a very large update while I slept.

It's one of the feet. I was wondering if it was supposed to move around, but I saw that the frame was dented and shards of plastic in the bag they had the tower in. When inspecting the bottom of it, I also noticed a piece I have a question about:

There's a magnetic screen. Is that supposed to be there? I was under the impression you should never run a computer with anything magnetic on it. It appears so you can easily take it off, but when would I need to take it off if it is supposed to be there? Or was I supposed to remove it before powering on the system? (included in the pics of the damage)

Then to feedback: so far I am impressed with the service, how personable they are, even when it comes to building your system. Funny mistake they made that proves this: In my build notes, I wrote that the 2nd storage should be drive 'x' and when I received it, I noticed that they named the drive "Drive X" but it was set to 'D:\' instead of what I meant by that which was the drive letter being 'X:\' ....however, seeing how they named it, I kinda like it. It was going to be default name.

So about Digital Storm - They did their job. I'm not highly impressed (*yet*) but again, not had the time to really get in to my normal computing habits and more, so if I'm not impressed, it's my fault since I'm the one who chose the configuration. But DS made sure that once installed, that all was working well, so I can say that I am relieved to be able to rely on a steady and awesome system when I finally get done with this overtime and can throw all it can handle.

I have not checked my 2nd request which was leaving a cord from power supply for sata HDD I will put in myself, I have not opened it up. The power supply I chose was fully modular, and they put all the spare cords in a baggy, I don't see an extra sata one. That leads me to question #2:

The 2nd hard drive of my own I want to put in there has Windows 7 installed on it. I need it since it also contains all of my media (pictures, my music, home videos, etc) So what is going to happen when I have both hard drives in there, one with the Windows 10 that DS installed, and the other containing a previous version of Windows? Will it work like I am hoping and simply boot Windows 10 and be able to view that hard drive in Explorer delete all but my media files on my main hard drive from old computer?

Anyway, sorry so long. ...at work for 13 hours with not much to do but write and wish I could be home playing with the new system.

Pics:
**edit-- it will not let me post the pics but I've typed this twice now**

Thanks in advance for reading this long post and for any replies.

Quote dj_prouddad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 10:30am
Now it's letting me post photos, but I had to lower the quality so it will fit (hopefully this will post) ... and I forgot to mention that I believe this damage was caused by Digital Storm, NOT UPS. The box was perfectly fine. What I believe happened due to how I saw the plastic shards in the bottom of the bag, and the way that the styrofoam packing was on there crooked, that when they were trying to pack this monster of a computer in to a box for shipping, they shoved that styrofoam on there on til is could be flush with the box, but it doesn't fit properly over the Slade 2 tower, therefore, the damage was caused pre-shipment.

I tried repeating the steps to take pictures, but it was only trying to break more. It was pretty obvious that the last person on the assembly line building my PC is the one who broke it.

Digital Storm,

I see you use fitted foam padding for these towers. It is obvious the form one does not fit exactly around this tower. Please make better cut outs for newer towers so they're not breaking pieces when shoving it in to a box.

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 11:17am
Re: Magnetic Screen

If you are referring to the filter screen in your image then yes it is supposed to be there. Those magnets are not big enough nor close enough to any magnetic storage media (presumably just the HDD at this point) to cause any issues with the functioning of the desktop.

Re: Damage

Regardless of whether this was caused by DS or the shipper, you deserve to have it fixed. Start by contacting Digital Storm directly either by phone or this form. While the forums have helpful folks, it's mostly just customers. Your best bet will be to reach out to DS directly, and if they don't get back to you in a timely manner, then contact management.

My guess is that based on the damage you'll have two options. 1 - ship the entire thing back to DS to have the case repaired/replaced, or 2 - bend the case back yourself and get DS to ship you a new leg. I'd personally opt for the 2nd choice, but those are just my guesses and do not represent what DS may or may not decide to do.

Re: Hard Drive

Just be sure to set your new drive (be it a SSD or HDD) as the bootable drive in the BIOS (it will have come this way from DS, but on the off chance it changes when you install your old drive I'd just double check it). You'll be able to "Explore" your old HDD's file system, but it will not boot up as your primary drive - but it doesn't sound like that is what you want to do. If you just want to use it for data, it will work as a secondary, non-boot drive even with a Windows install on it. I would, however, recommending removing Windows from that old drive once you've backed up your files.

Edited by Tidgxor - 27 Nov 2018 at 11:44am

Quote dj_prouddad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Re: Magnetic Screen
If you are referring to the filter screen in your image then yes it is supposed to be there. Those magnets are not big enough nor close enough to any magnetic storage media (presumably just the HDD at this point) to cause any issues with the functioning of the desktop.
Re: Damage
Regardless of whether this was caused by DS or the shipper, you deserve to have it fixed. Start by contacting Digital Storm directly either by phone or this form. While the forums have helpful folks, it's mostly just customers. Your best bet will be to reach out to DS directly, and if they don't get back to you in a timely manner, then contact management.
My guess is that based on the damage you'll have two options. 1 - ship the entire thing back to DS to have the case repaired/replaced, or 2 - bend the case back yourself and get DS to ship you a new leg. I'd personally opt for the 2nd choice, but those are just my guesses and do not represent what DS may or may not decide to do.
Re: Hard Drive
Just be sure to set your new drive as the bootable drive in the BIOS (it will have come this way from DS, but on the off chance it changes when you install your old drive I'd just double check it). You'll be able to "Explore" your old HDD's file system, but it will not boot up as your primary drive - but it doesn't sound like that is what you want to do. If you just want to use it for data, it will work as a secondary, non-boot drive even with a Windows install on it. I would, however, recommending removing Windows from that old drive once you've backed up your files.

Cool, Thanks @Tidgxor - for everything --- reading it all and replying to all my concerns.

As for that magnetic screen, I was so tired when I got home, I powered it on with it still on there; doesn't seem to be affecting anything … but still glad I asked.

Then thank you very much for the direct email to management at DS. I used the contact form, but no response as of yet. I also couldn't include my pics that way. … I'd go with option #2 as well. I can fix it to the best of my ability, and you are right, I do deserve to have it fixed. But shipping that whole thing back to them right now would suck when I've waited so long.

So essentially if I see Windows 7 start loading, I need to ensure that BIOS is set to boot from the correct hard drive. And you are correct, I do intend on using that for just data, and most of it already is on there, just needing to delete the old windows from it, so long as it works as I had hoped, and you say it will, and if not, easy enough fix without messing things up

Many thanks… gonna email DS management now.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 12:41pm
Just to add....when you install the 2nd HDD with Windows on it, your drive with Windows 10 will ignore the 2nd os .   It already knows what disc to boot to.    It will only boot to your Win 7 os if, one, the Bios is changed and drive priority changes as Tidgxor mentioned, or, two, if you unplug the Win 10 drive and boot with only Win 7 disc plugged in.   

As for the damage, you can get damage like you have from shipping with no box damage.   If the box is dropped straight down on a side, and not at an angle, the interior components can get a big jolt that damages the guts.    Not to say you are wrong but that internal damage with no external damage is possible.

Quote dj_prouddad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by bprat22

Just to add....when you install the 2nd HDD with Windows on it, your drive with Windows 10 will ignore the 2nd os .   It already knows what disc to boot to.    It will only boot to your Win 7 os if, one, the Bios is changed and drive priority changes as Tidgxor mentioned, or, two, if you unplug the Win 10 drive and boot with only Win 7 disc plugged in.   

As for the damage, you can get damage like you have from shipping with no box damage.   If the box is dropped straight down on a side, and not at an angle, the interior components can get a big jolt that damages the guts.    Not to say you are wrong but that internal damage with no external damage is possible.

Cool... after today, regular working hours, no overtime, so will be able to dig in this evening and put that other hard drive in. I worried for nothing. However, Now I wonder, since there was damage to the tower, as bprat22 mentioned, it would have given the box a big jolt, I better push firmly on things to ensure they're properly seated. They may have left the DS warehouse installed properly, but what if something is almost loose or something. Either way, I'll be opening this beast today. We shall see.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 3:44pm
Yep, I would definitely open the side panel and inspect the motherboard, graphics card , cpu cooler and check that all cables are connected and seated correctly.   If it did happen from drop testing by the carrier, it was quite a jolt.

Good luck and hope everything else is good to go.

Quote dj_prouddad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 7:35am
Originally posted by bprat22

Yep, I would definitely open the side panel and inspect the motherboard, graphics card , cpu cooler and check that all cables are connected and seated correctly.   If it did happen from drop testing by the carrier, it was quite a jolt.

Good luck and hope everything else is good to go.

All was good to go, and also verified that I had everything that I ordered inside as well.

I installed the HDD that had Windows 7 on it, all worked smoothly and now I have access to everything that was on my old PC, bam, just like that. I was not able to delete the 'Windows' & 'Program Files' folders though - so I partitioned it, copied media and anything I had to keep, formatted, then extended volume. What I wanted to mention is that this tower, it was soooo easy to put that hard drive in. It had this little tray that slid out, snaps where screws normally go, I popped it in there, and as promised, there as a sata cable and sata power in a cord tie right next to the slot. I must say Thank you to DS for filling my request to do that.

About the broken leg, that was weird. After I emailed DS management, I received an email stating they would call me between 9:00:00 AM and 5:00:00 PM (PST) but they did not. So at 5:05 pacific I replied to the email saying that nobody called and not surprised. They replied immediately saying if I wanted a replacement leg, they'll ship one out for free … then of course a survey asking how well he did his job.

At least they're attempting to take care of me.

…….…….…….…….…

To change the subject slightly (whilst remaining in the actual thread title) this Slade 2 tower was the only one to fit my needs. The only one that could support the hot swap bay. It's just a big black box, very plain, but still neat. It wasn't my first choice, but the "Apollo" is no longer being sold.

Digital Storm advertises all these beautiful machines, and even has a promo going for LED lights, and I can't have any of it. Well, when I opened this beast up yesterday, I found that the motherboard also has its own lights ... what a waste that with the sides on, you cannot see inside.

Oh well, I guess I chose functionality over looks.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 2:38am
1.YAY

2.Sorry you have no eye candy.

3.Saw your contribution to another thread. Thank you and don't be a stranger!
 Post Reply Post Reply