FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soon to purchase a DS System!

Post Date: 2014-04-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SurvivorNVL View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Soon to purchase a DS System!
    Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 3:51pm
A little bit of a back-story to things: The reason behind my getting of this computer is a form of self-reward. I spent the last two years taking care of my terminal grandmother and doing my best to keep her happy and situated while family worked and this home that I am living in currently, is sold. Before her becoming terminal from having worked in a place for 15 years that had all forms of mold that ruined her lungs - I had taken care of my grandfather for five years until he had passed from heart-failure. So, this computer and the ventures I take with it are a reward to myself and I also figured instead of buying all the parts and assembling a computer - I would rather buy one from DS(For awhile I considered others, but kept coming back here) and have their warranty, service, and community.

Budget: Desktop budget: $13,000.00

Expectations: A high end gaming, video-editing, and rendering PC with long lastability(I made a word!) and the ability to break high levels of FPS with lots of AA.

Usage: Gaming at 2560x1440p, video recording, video-editing, and rendering.

Special Needs: Not exactly special needs, but more so wants for the system and that is as listed under the expectations and usage. If this thing succeeds where I hope it will - then happy days!

Random inquiry: I've only one consideration to change in this build and that is the 8.1 pro. My random inquiry is if 8.1 runs similar to 7 in the sense of start menu functionality to access computer, disk, programs associated in said disk and etc. Or if there's a 'difficult' or drawn-out learning curve to 8.1? Thank you!

Specifications:

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4930K 3.4GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition X79 (Intel X79 Chipset)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Platinum Series with Corsair Link (CP-9020008-NA) (Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 840 Pro)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black 6GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR (Ultimate in Audio Playback and Creation)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 4: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (3x Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color: Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: Hailstorm II: Bottom Baseplate Mod (Cleaner Wiring Look & DS Logo Branding)
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student (PC Attach Key PKC Only, No Pre-install)
Game: - No Thanks
Display: Asus 24 inch VG248QE Series (144Hz Refresh Rate) (Black) (1ms Response Time) (LED Backlight)
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: Digital Storm Premium T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty (6 Year Labor & 4 Year Part Replacement)

Hi, me again! Only reason that display is there is to hold things over until the ROG Swift comes out - may actually wait until that or the Titan Z are out before purchasing this machine. Tell me your thoughts!

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2014 at 3:55pm
PS: Alex is awesome.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2014 at 2:26pm
I think the second EVO SSD is kind of overkill, unless you intend to keep lots of games installed at the same time. I also don't think you need an external audio solution, the motherboard audio section is isolated and sports a high performance DAC (120 dB SNR, -107 dB THD+N (Max. 192 kHz/ 24 -bit)).

I would also suggest waiting for the Asus ROG Swift monitor, before upgrading your monitor. It should be out soonish ;-).

Also, is this an Aventum or a Hailstorm build? The base plate is only for the Hailstorm, I believe.

It doesn't look like it is currently available yet, but Corsair does list on their website the AX-1500i power supply. That might be something you want to consider.

Edited by danjw1 - 26 Apr 2014 at 2:31pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 10:38am
Originally posted by SurvivorNVL

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 2:31pm
Hello, y'all! Sorry I've not replied to this thread in a bit. My current computer experienced a total windows error, software and driver loss, so I spent days screwing around with it. Finally is working and only with 75% performance decrease!

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by danjw1

I think the second EVO SSD is kind of overkill, unless you intend to keep lots of games installed at the same time. I also don't think you need an external audio solution, the motherboard audio section is isolated and sports a high performance DAC (120 dB SNR, -107 dB THD+N (Max. 192 kHz/ 24 -bit)).

I would also suggest waiting for the Asus ROG Swift monitor, before upgrading your monitor. It should be out soonish ;-).

Also, is this an Aventum or a Hailstorm build? The base plate is only for the Hailstorm, I believe.

It doesn't look like it is currently available yet, but Corsair does list on their website the AX-1500i power supply. That might be something you want to consider.

The second EVO SSD is for extra file storage(games and maybe some files if 4tb's get's overrun). The external audio-solution is primarily tossed there because of my Sennehsier PC363D and while it's a little extra money to the comp - it's nice to hear the best possible. And yeah - I am definitely waiting on the ROG Swift, one or two of those and a 22 - 24 inch monitor for surfing while gaming or other such things. This is a Hailstorm build.

I thank you for replying to this topic ^_^ I once more apologize I was not around to answer sooner.
UffDa View Drop Down

Quote UffDa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 2:35pm

I think the second EVO SSD is kind of overkill, unless you intend to keep lots of games installed at the same time.

It got me thinking though...I should buy a second SSD when a 500GB+ goes on sale so I can stock up on games. lol
i7 4930K 4.3GHz OC
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
32GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro
256GB SSD Samsung 840 Pro
2TB WD Caviar
2xSLI GeForce GTX 780 3GB EVGA Superclocked

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Alex

I do have a question to you, Sir Alex! And the question is that - SLI splits the processes across multiple GPU's, right? So, even though VRAM does not stack - if you are using over 3 gigs of VRAM and you have 3 graphics cards that have 3gb of vram - each one will only have a load of 1gb per? I am asking as I have considered lowering my GPU from 3x Titan Black to 3x 780ti.

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by UffDa

I think the second EVO SSD is kind of overkill, unless you intend to keep lots of games installed at the same time.

It got me thinking though...I should buy a second SSD when a 500GB+ goes on sale so I can stock up on games. lol

Honestly if you can afford an SSD for game storage or video file storage - you can't go wrong. The lifespans on SSD's now-a-days are tremendously long as compared to a decade ago.

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 2:42pm
Thinking.. if I did switch to 780ti x3 vs Titan black x3 - I could upgrade CPU to 4960x and that would mean OC could be from 4.8ghz to 5 if possible for the technicians.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 2:42pm

I do have a question to you, Sir Alex! And the question is that - SLI splits the processes across multiple GPU's, right? So, even though VRAM does not stack - if you are using over 3 gigs of VRAM and you have 3 graphics cards that have 3gb of vram - each one will only have a load of 1gb per? I am asking as I have considered lowering my GPU from 3x Titan Black to 3x 780ti.

That's not how it works. Basically if you have three cards that have a 3GB buffer, the memory buffer for each card is 3GB, it does not get split into 1GB per card.

However, it's not like with three 3GB cards you now have 9GB of video memory directly available, it's all done with NVIDIA's SLI scaling technology.

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 2:46pm

That's not how it works. Basically if you have three cards that have a 3GB buffer, the memory buffer for each card is 3GB, it does not get split into 1GB per card.

However, it's not like with three 3GB cards you now have 9GB of video memory directly available, it's all done with NVIDIA's SLI scaling technology.

So, with all 3 GPU's running(780ti's as an example) and you hit 3gb of VRAM in usage. What necessarily happens? Like running a game like Crysis 3, ultra, 2560x1440p and using all those cards - I have read that some people use up all the memory on a card or it is right below the threshold of 3gigs.

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 3:30pm
Eh. I think I understand it - the point of SLI is primarily performance gain and increase. So, if you're going to use over 3gb of VRAM - 3 cards aren't really doing any difference other than smooth performance. So, sticking with 6gb cards unless 780ti has a 6gb version from EVGA in the future.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 3:46pm
Running at 2560x1440p at Ultra settings is perfectly fine for 3GB.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 9:20am
Not all games support SLI. For games that do not the additional cards will only be used for secondary processing (i.e. anti-aliasing). SLI will only use the memory of one of the cards.

Edited by danjw1 - 30 Apr 2014 at 9:21am

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2014 at 12:38pm
Looking at the soon to be out Haswell-e and Asus showing their new mobo's - how quickly would D-Storm implement all these new things once they are out? In terms of the configurations. More than likely to 100% wait until the Haswell-e is out and the ROG Swift.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2014 at 3:57pm

Looking at the soon to be out Haswell-e and Asus showing their new mobo's - how quickly would D-Storm implement all these new things once they are out? In terms of the configurations. More than likely to 100% wait until the Haswell-e is out and the ROG Swift.

These are the Z97 and H97 boards that are starting to come out are Haswell/Broadwell motherboards socket 1050. So, not the Socket 2011(v2?), that will be Haswell-E. To the best of my knowledge Haswell-E is slated for the second half of this year, so at least another month, and likely longer. Hopefully we will hear more about availability around Computex (June 3rd).

Edited by danjw1 - 03 May 2014 at 4:01pm
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2014 at 3:59pm

As soon as they are officially available, we will offer them.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 7:56am
One more thing, some newer Haswell CPUs will be coming soonish, from what I have read. They will sport a better thermal interface within the chip's package, which should allow the them to run cooler (read overclock better). These will be Socket 1050(desktop) not 2011(extreme).

Edited by danjw1 - 04 May 2014 at 7:58am
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 12:15pm
From what they are saying, the Intel Haswell refresh will have a May 11th ship date and the Devil's Canyon unlocked CPU's will be June 2nd. 

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/2014042101_Intel_Devil_s_Canyon_unlocked_CPUs_to_launch_on_June_2.html

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Dax Doomslayer

From what they are saying, the Intel Haswell refresh will have a May 11th ship date and the Devil's
Canyon unlocked CPU's will be June 2nd.  http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/2014042101_Intel_Devil_s_Canyon_unlocked_CPUs_to_launch_on_June_2.html

Yeah. More than likely going to hold out to see how the performance, thermal output and the sort is with the Devil's Canyon CPU's. Will probably only need to wait a few weeks after that for the ROG Swift to be out(If it does come out in June). Going to be sweet

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 3:03pm
Just a random thing to throw out and around, but the thought of Sandisk releasing a 4tb SSD this year and then higher models by 2015--the thought of it is marvelous. Maybe by 2016 or 2017 SSD's will be $100 for 1tb or $300 for a 4tb :P.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 May 2014 at 3:55pm

Just a random thing to throw out and around, but the thought of Sandisk releasing a 4tb SSD this year and then higher models by 2015--the thought of it is marvelous. Maybe by 2016 or 2017 SSD's will be $100 for 1tb or $300 for a 4tb :P.

That 4TB SSD is intended targeted at the enterprise market. As such it is going to be very pricey.

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 May 2014 at 4:13pm
Hmm. Curious on the likeliness that DS will offer AMD hybrid options. If Freesync becomes widespread and takes off.. the thought of running an R9 290x and 295x2 together would be more fun than three Titan Blacks :P Been thinking as well of posting an updated build using Aventum II. Being drawn to it and the thought of using the copper tubing for liquid cooling and going with a very DS red theme. Also happy Mother's Day. Ahead of time.

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2014 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Nav

As soon as they are officially available, we will offer them.

As a question; how common is it for people to special order their comp with configurations that're not listed on the DS Config? Like wanting for 3 R9 290x's in crossfire and the sort or even wanting to attempt the 'hybrid' crossfire solution as shown in a recent test DS had conducted?

Thank you, ahead of time.

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2014 at 10:26pm
Been doing some web-searching and customizing on the website and pretty decided on the Aventum II and more than likely with a white coating. I have some difficulty making out how the Pure White Matte Finish would look on the Aventum II, and there are very little pictures across the web. Guess the question in mind is if it looks similar to the -gorgeousness- of the Black Sheep that was done for xii on the original Aventum? Thank you in advance ^_^
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2014 at 4:50am

Been doing some web-searching and customizing on the website and pretty decided on the Aventum II and more than likely with a white coating. I have some difficulty making out how the Pure White Matte Finish would look on the Aventum II, and there are very little pictures across the web. Guess the question in mind is if it looks similar to the -gorgeousness- of the Black Sheep that was done for xii on the original Aventum? Thank you in advance ^_^
The reason you'll not find many pictures like that is because this is a family site and that's just pure pornography. Really, most of us would get nothing done all day if those pictures were all over the web. Wow... Just thinking about the pure awesomesauce called the "Aventum II" just makes me want to sell the house, the cars, the kids, the wife and run off to be in Aventum-heaven...

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2014 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Snaike

The reason you'll not find many pictures like that is because this is a family site and that's just pure pornography. Really, most of us would get nothing done all day if those pictures were all over the web. Wow... Just thinking about the pure awesomesauce called the "Aventum II" just makes me want to sell the house, the cars, the kids, the wife and run off to be in Aventum-heaven...

There's no joke to that. I found and looked at all the pictures of the old Aventum Black Sheep build for Xii and good god it is gorgeous and just looks like sheer bliss. Definitely getting an Aventum II soon after a few more things release to the market after Computex. Overall though - very interested to see what the Pure White Matte looks like on an Aventum or if I should just custom paint job. x3
Kinesis View Drop Down

Quote Kinesis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2014 at 11:41pm

There's no joke to that. I found and looked at all the pictures of the old Aventum Black Sheep build for Xii and good god it is gorgeous and just looks like sheer bliss. Definitely getting an Aventum II soon after a few more things release to the market after Computex. Overall though - very interested to see what the Pure White Matte looks like on an Aventum or if I should just custom paint job. x3

I ordered mine in white,(not custom paint just the other option to the black one)
and it hopefully will arrive this week.
I'll do my best to post pics(friday would be the earliest though)
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 2:29am
Originally posted by Kinesis

I ordered mine in white,(not custom paint just the other option to the black one)

Friday? I'm already for pics.... Oh and just when you think you have enough pics posted here for us to look at, just remember one thing:     !!!MOAR PIX!!!

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2014 at 7:17am
Originally posted by Kinesis

That is sweet I am going away on friday, but when I get back on monday or maybe even sunday - I will check it out. If the normal white you can get instead of the black is gorgeous - think that's what I will go with. Put as many pics out there, Kinesis

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2014 at 12:45pm

Running at 2560x1440p at Ultra settings is perfectly fine for 3GB.

Hey, Alex - how much can you put in to an Aventum II? Could it fully house quad-gpu's as well as the ZxR soundcard, and a host of other hardware?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2014 at 12:47pm
Yes it can! As long as the motherboard has enough PCI-E slots.

Quote SurvivorNVL Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2014 at 12:57pm

Yes it can! As long as the motherboard has enough PCI-E slots.

As another question to ask you, almighty Alex - how does the White paint look for the Aventum II? Since you're here.. I am just dying to know The choice in the configurator doesn't show enough :3
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 May 2014 at 1:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>