FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox Build Feedback

Post Date: 2017-03-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GreatGamingExperienc View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GreatGamingExperienc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox Build Feedback
    Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 3:44pm
Hi,

Long time Mac user - moving back to PC to rejoin the gaming community. About to pull the trigger on a custom Velox - but I'd appreciate some feedback on my proposed build (as my computer PC competence is marginal, but improving).

Budget: <$4,500Cdn (current build below is $4,300 before tax/shipping)

Expectations: I hope to drive an ASUS PG348Q 34IN UltraWide IPS Curved LED Monitor 3440X1440 with maximum settings.

Usage: Strictly gaming.

Proposed Build: 1629328

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (Codename Kaby Lake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING M7 (Intel Z270 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express)
Graphics Card: 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (NVIDIA Founders Edition) (VR Ready)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting/Airflow Control/Chassis Mods/Noise Reduction: All No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 3: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.0GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)

I'm currently inquiring why you can't upgrade to 16GB of DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (minimum is 32GB).

Anyhow, I've read all the posts here and if someone has any suggestions on tweaks to my proposal - feed back would be greatly appreciated!
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:41am
That particular memory comes as a kit set, hence why we can't offer just 16GB.

Otherwise, looks like a solid setup!
bandersaurus View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bandersaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 8:34am
That's very similar to the build I've been toying with, but I'm unsure about which case would be best for me. Is the Velox fairly noisy with all of those fans? If I opt for the Slade instead, would that be quieter during non-peak usage because of the case but then louder during load because the fans will need to spin faster?
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by bandersaurus

That's very similar to the build I've been toying with, but I'm unsure about which case would be best for me. Is the Velox fairly noisy with all of those fans? If I opt for the Slade instead, would that be quieter during non-peak usage because of the case but then louder during load because the fans will need to spin faster?

The Slade will definitely be much quieter in general compared to the Velox. With the Velox, there is no sound dampening due to the open-airflow design of the case.
bandersaurus View Drop Down

Quote bandersaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Nav

The Slade will definitely be much quieter in general compared to the Velox. With the Velox, there is no sound dampening due to the open-airflow design of the case.

That was my assumption as well, but then I just caught a video review of a Velox config that would be way more taxing than anything I'd assemble and it seemed shockingly quiet! I can deal with the negligible hum of a few case fans, but if such things as spinning hard drives are more audible in the Velox than the Slade, I'd probably want to go with the latter.

It's not absolute silence that I'm going for. I'll be using it for recording from time to time and just don't want the mic to pick up the computer (about 4 feet away) while doing vocal or acoustic guitar tracks.
DarkSydeElement View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DarkSydeElement Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:51am

I own the Velox..when my cards get to around 75c it can get kinda loud..otherwise its pretty darn quit
 Post Reply Post Reply