FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Very quick hydrolux questions

Post Date: 2016-06-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Moritsuna View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Very quick hydrolux questions
    Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 8:52am
First - PRO vs lite. What is easier for the customer to go around if he decides to upgrade in the future? I'm assuming lite, since they are flexible tubes?

Also, if I get the setup for 1 CPU and 1 GPU, if I decide to SLI another card at a later time, would I have to send it back to digital storm for them to setup the cooling again?

Edited by Moritsuna - 05 Jun 2016 at 9:26am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 9:21am
Hi Moritsuna,

You can get both with the flexible hoses. I have the flexible hose Hydrolux (CPU and GPU) and it is very easy to work with it. The joints to the CPU and GPU are with quick disconnects so servicing or adding an additional GPU is fairly straight forward and simple.
Moritsuna View Drop Down

Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 9:27am
So the additional cost on the hydrolux with 2 GPUS is just for labor and not adding more tubing?

EDIT: That's perfectly fine by me, I'll be sticking with a 1 GPU setup for awhile. But "just in case" if I decide to SLI/crossfire its easy to DIY then that's fine!

Edited by Moritsuna - 05 Jun 2016 at 9:28am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 9:38am
The cards are converted to be under water. That is an additional cost. They don't all come like that. There is also the bridge/connection between cards.  I would (and probably will when the time comes) purchase the additional card(s) from them so that the fittings and cooling hardware matched your system's specs.

Moritsuna View Drop Down

Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 10:04am
Wait so even if I stick with a single GPU setup, if I get a new card the (1080 ti or 1180 hypothetically) I have to get it converted as well? Seems like a hassle so I might just get the regular 240 mm radiator
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 10:17am
Like hoserator said, the cards need to be modified for water.  Water blocks designed specifically for each card, are screwed on after the stock cooler and heat sinks are removed.  There are some cards you can buy with the water blocks  attached, namely the Hydro Copper versions., but not sure when the 1080, etc will be introduced. 

Edited by bprat22 - 05 Jun 2016 at 10:23am
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Moritsuna

So the additional cost on the hydrolux with 2 GPUS is just for labor and not adding more tubing?

EDIT: That's perfectly fine by me, I'll be sticking with a 1 GPU setup for awhile. But "just in case" if I decide to SLI/crossfire its easy to DIY then that's fine!

I'm pretty sure there is more of a difference between the pro and lite. From what I'm tracking the lite is like an AIO cooler but somewhat modular as to allow for expansion. I'm not sure if it has a dedicated reservoir or what size radiator it uses.

I know my Hydrolux pro setup has two radiators in the loop.

AS far as adding new cards to a loop like previously stated, unless it is a card from the factory that has a waterblock already on it(ie. Hydro-copper or Poseidon)a water block will need to be installed. I'm pretty sure EK blocks for the 980ti run any where from $115-$150ish.

Water cooling is definitely more maintenance and more money when you start to get into the realm of custom loops. Unless you are planning on OC'ing your cards there isn't much of a reason to go with a custom loop unless it is just for aesthetics.

There are lots of little parts that go into building a custom loop also. If you want to learn some more about watercooling the Subreddit "watercooling" has a lot of information.

Edited by SnowandSand - 05 Jun 2016 at 1:36pm
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
Moritsuna View Drop Down

Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 3:24pm
Alright, I have to admit it. Yes it was an aesthetics thing xD.

At any rate, I will be getting standard radiator 240mm cooler. Do I still need a water block for that as well?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 6:29pm
By regular 240mm radiator I assume you mean for the cpu only? If so then there is no issue swapping out the graphics card since it is air cooled only. If the graphics card is liquid cooled and you change it or add another for sli you will need to add a waterblock to it (unless it comes with one).
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
Moritsuna View Drop Down

Quote Moritsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 8:33pm
Ah yes, I'm learning alot today haha. Many of the default builds for digital storm desktops come with this option "H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler".

Then, maybe hydrolux lite for CPU only isn't such a bad decision especially if you plan to overclock it. I am not sure I want to overclock it though, I am reading 2 things saying that it won't affect the longevity of the CPU and that it will.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 4:40am
Originally posted by Moritsuna

Ah yes, I'm learning alot today haha. Many of the default builds for digital storm desktops come with this option "H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler".

Then, maybe hydrolux lite for CPU only isn't such a bad decision especially if you plan to overclock it. I am not sure I want to overclock it though, I am reading 2 things saying that it won't affect the longevity of the CPU and that it will.

That is a CPU only closed loop cooler.  It works great for just the CPU.  If you are planning on eventually cooling a gpu  also I would go with the Hyrolux lite since it is designed to allow for some expansion.  As far as the longevity of the CPU I did alot of research and basically what I got from it was that it mainly comes down to what temp your cpu is running at.  

Currently I 'm running my 6700k at 4.6GHz and when I ran Adia64 on it overnight it never went above 65 C. Which is just fine. My rig is mostly used for gaming and my wife's accounting HW lol.  The Digital storm Vortex cooler is also maintenance free unlike the Hydrolux pro setups.  Hope this helps man.  Either way you go you can't really go wrong with DS.  I bought a laptop from them back in 2013 and it is still going strong, and I absolutely love my Hailstorm II (although my wife hates it's size lol). 
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
 Post Reply Post Reply