FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vive ready

Post Date: 2016-05-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Quitefrustrated View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Quitefrustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vive ready
    Posted: 22 May 2016 at 10:59am
Budget:
$3,000 excluding graphics card and monitors
I already have a GeForce GTX980TI Hybrid directX12 which the new computer must accommodate.

Expectations:
Starter gamer PC to work with Vive and keep up with new peripherals for the next 3 years.
It should not be too noisy.
Besides Vive, must accommodate two monitors.
Computer will double as a home office computer for incidental usage (Bloomberg terminal)
Must be able to:
Keep up, not disappoint, not be too loud, not fizzle out in less than 3 years, run Vibe and whatever else my early teen kids decide to throw at it (within reason) smoothly.

Usage:
As above, PC gaming, vibe and perhaps some other VR, occasional business use.

Special Needs:
So, I have never bought a gaming PC before. My family has been playing on consoles and want to try out PC gaming for the VR. My philosophy is generally get the highest ram and fastest processor you can afford, but 128Mbram seems a bit over the top now. I was considering 32 MB of ram, I want the unit to be quiet, but worry that it may overheat. Should I spend more on fancy cooling? The GEForce I own with its big fan must fit inside.

Configuration

Thanks!
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2016 at 11:20am
https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1417932

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Coridium

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)

Feel free to change up the chassis to something of your preference...The only thing to consider is that the GPU radiator needs to fit in addition to the CPUs, but most should work. Select an optical drive if desired. Keyboard and mouse are needed, but you may want to go to your local electronics store and try some out.

Quote Quitefrustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2016 at 11:57am
Thanks!

Quote Quitefrustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2016 at 12:32pm
Follow up question - and thank you for being so helpful.
I am really into the idea of this thing being quiet, so I want to substitute with a Corsair Carbide Quiet 400Q. Will this have any unexpected negative effects (as in, do I need to upgrade cooling)?
Second, I want to have wireless internet AND an Ethernet port. Is it really just one or the other?
Last, dumb question, but how many USB ports are on this thing? The chassis says 2, the motherboard says 6 - is that 8 in total, or 6 in total?
Thanks again!
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2016 at 1:10pm
The 400Q may be a bit tricky, but it is doable. The front can support the CPU radiator and the exhaust could support the GPU radiator.

The GPU radiator would be in place of the CPU radiator in the picture above and the CPU radiator would cover most of the front of the case. There also would be no place for an optical disk drive, if that matters to you.

Wired ethernet is built into the board. For wireless, you can get an adapter. What wireless router do you have?

For USB:

ASMedia® USB 3.1 controller :
1 x USB 3.1 port(s) (Type-A)
ASMedia® USB 3.1 controller :
1 x USB 3.1 port(s) (Type-C, Reversible)
Intel® Z170 chipset :
6 x USB 3.0/2.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® Z170 chipset :
8 x USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) (2 at back panel, black, 6 at mid-board)

So you'll have on the back panel on the motherboard (which is exposed on the back of the computer) 1 USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A port (standard looking port), 1 USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C port (new small reversible port), 4 USB 3.0 ports, and 2 USB 2.0 ports. You then have headers to connect to additional ports which may be on the chassis for 2 USB 3.0 and 6 USB 2.0 ports. The 400Q has 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front. If you need more, you can get PCI brackets with USB ports that connect to the additional headers on the motherboard.

Edited by  - 22 May 2016 at 1:12pm

Quote Quitefrustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2016 at 4:33am
That is a beautiful machine, I have to say.
Optical drive - haven't used one in a couple of years and I manage 10 computers between family and home offices. I have an exteternal one that I bought last year that is still in the box.
Router- I use an Apple AirPort Extreme.
Thanks again for all your help.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2016 at 10:16am
I believe your router has a Broadcom chip in it, so I'd look at: ASUS PCE-AC68, TP-LINK Archer T9E, or Rosewill RNX-AC1900PCE for a wireless adapter you can plug into your motherboard, just like your GPU. You'll then have both ethernet and WiFi.

Edited by  - 23 May 2016 at 10:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply