FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which motherboard is better ?

Post Date: 2010-11-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
slicejones View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote slicejones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Which motherboard is better ?
    Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 1:33pm
Which motherboard is better ?

Asus Sabertooth or Asus Rampage III Gene

Quote slicejones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 1:47pm
BTW, the sad frown face is suppose to be a question mark.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 3:46pm
better for what?
cost effective-ness? sabertooth
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 8:53pm
Id go with the Sabertooth over the Gene...the Rampage III derivative boards dont really impress me.  If you want Bling do the full blown Rampage III Extreme, if you want bang per buck do the Sabertooth.  (this post is highly subjective)

Edited by MagiK - 27 Nov 2010 at 8:53pm

Quote slicejones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 10:51am
I'll stick with the Sabertooth.

I saw that there was'nt much of a price difference between the two and so i was wondering which of the two boards others would choose to put in thier machines.

Thanks for the responses.
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 4:45pm
can anyone answer on what's the best mobo with the most ports?
Steam:pcmaster160
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 4:48pm
most what ports?
sata, usb, network....?
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 4:52pm
Max the term "best" is a term that frequently brings a lot of subjective opinion into the discussion.  As for "the Most Ports" What do you mean ports?  USB ports? Serial Ports, Ethernet Ports, PS2 ports? SATA Ports?

X58 spec pretty much standardizes the numbers of each kind of port
on X58 motherboards....basically you find the same layouts from motherboard to motherboard unless you go to some specialty boards that have custom things added ...which I tend to avoid as I prefer to use a "Standardized" system while avoiding proprietary layouts.

So I dont even know how to begin to answer your question......My personal favorites for top of the line bling factor with every feature you can think of are the Asus Rampage III Extreme and the Gigabyte UD9 board but theres a lot on eahc of those boards you will probably never use (including the Marvel SATA controller)
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 5:42pm
my question wasn't very clear srry. let me restate it.
what mobo has the most usb ports. just wondering because right now I have 10ish usb devices right now and have hubs but they donr work that great
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 5:52pm
what the f are you doing with 10 usb devices at the same time rofl
id avoid having anything hooked in when you arent actively using it, and not chosing a board based on its amount of usb ports
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 5:52pm
The ICH10R chipset supports 9 USB ports and any board with USB 3.0 usually has two of those.  Some boards will have extra USB ports provided by a third party chip on the MoBo but Im not really sure who does it.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 5:56pm
Lets see
1 mouse
1 Keyboard
1 Microphone
1 External HDD
3x External Optical Drives
1 Scanner
1 Miscelaneous port used for momentary connections

soooo I easily use 9 USB ports  Hahaha
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 6:29pm
even onboard sound takes analog min input

whats the idea behind cases with 5.25 bays when you have 3 external opticals?
even having 2 optical drives is overkill, 3 and external is nothing short of silly. the only possible application i can even think of for something like that is if you were running your own record label and had to mass produce sample cds in some obligatorily short timeframe and had no friends with cd burners

furthermore, if you are actually juggling 9 usb devices... you arent using all of those optical drives at the same time, nor all the time, so it still makes more sense to juggle those than to try and buy a mobo based on its amount of usb ports

then even furthermore, there is the option to make use of your mobo's usb headers... with that option even my mobo gets up to 13 usb ports

maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 6:32pm
yea I hav alot of usb devices but whatever ill prob go with the evga ftw bc the second 16x channel
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 6:45pm
Ender you need to expand your horizons, I do indeed use 3 External Optical Drives at once.  Im middle aged and have been collecting DVD's and CD's for as long as they have existed.  I am ripping them to my 20TB of SAN storage and I have all three running at once.  The reason you are shocked is because you seem to have a limited scope of what is possible or what OTHER people may choose to do Big%20Smile

Why external? because my dear firend, my Case front is not near my seat at the desk.  My external optical drives fit nicely under the bottom edge of my main monitor (you get to see this when I review my new rig)  You will notice I never once mentioned I needed a bunch of 5.25 internal bays.  Yes I could use an analog Mic but I dont have one so I use the convenient USB mic that Logitech so thoughtfully sells to people just like me  Hahaha

Seriously guy, not everyone is limited to your needs or thought processes.  I could do things a lot differently but I dont...that is why the PC is so much better than Consoles....freedom to do things others may not think of..or expect.

No I do not ALWAYS use the Opticals all at the same time....BUT I can afford to have them, and have them connected so that when the whim strikes me I can do what I please without having to reconnect things and scramble to plug things in...I can just click and go.  When I start transcoding the rips to smaller more compact formats the need for my 3 opticals will go away....but then I will be using another thing you didnt think I would need...  4TB of internal disk space as a work area so that eventually I can start ripping my BluRay disks to my SAN as well.

Its all about freedom to do what we choose.  What is the point of having 9 USB ports if you dont use them?  Hahaha
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 6:51pm
Just a little more explanation about using 3 Optical Drives at once.
I did some testing and found that my Quad Core CPU seems to be most efficient when ripping from 3 externals rather than 4 or 2.  I get the maximum speed at three, at 4 the speed drops off and the ripping starts to slow down, at 2 I can still get a thrid drive going and not lose the ripping speed So I settled for a 3 External Optical setup.  It isnt like I just randomly chose a number out of thin air and said "Thats is how many drives I will use"  Awesome

I have a few hundred movies on DVD, but the real space hogs are the Television series. A 10 year series such as StarGate SG1 has a LOT of DVD's and I have MANY television series on DVD.  Yeah yeah some people collect cats, some people collect hummels I collect media....and guns...but the guns dont really matter to this discussion  I used to collect books, but now it is media and I dont need so much physical space.

All in all, there is no need to criticise someone for using the USB ports they have available, and no reason to assume that if one cannot think of a reason that they could use something for, is no reason to assume that someone else cannot.

I will say I find all these USB connections somewhat annoying, I look forward to the day when one wire will carry all the data from the PC to the monitor and external devices (Lightpeak)  where one could just dock all their peripherals in one neat station on their desktop and connect that to the PC via one slim fiber cable....it could happen.

Edited by MagiK - 28 Nov 2010 at 6:58pm
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 7:10pm
yes I agree. that's why I feel alot better about spending 1.5k on a pc where I can do a ton of things instead of a $300 xbox that can just game. that's what's so awesome about pcs they can allow you to do anything and that's whats so great about them.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 7:52pm
i think the bus blew past you both on this one
youll see the highlighting point im making is to not choose a board based on its usb i/o

im not going to argue that you are able to fill up all of the usb ports if you use your imagination, just that if you have a budget of 1.5 k or really any budget at all, that the amount of usb ports your pc has should be pretty low on the list, if not literally the last thing on the list

who said anything about just gaming lol? you only need 2 usb ports to game, not sure how that relates

lucky for me, my current favorite and a great cost efficient board is the one with the most USB ports on the x58 list(based on a quick comparison)
evga x58 sli 3 rocking 14 total with the internal headers used
so either way, its a win win with, cost and usb availibility
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 9:33am
I am new to ripping DVD's and blurays, just getting started in fact, lol but why on earth use USB? If going external, why not use E-sata drives?
On a very side note, what software do you use magik? Don't want to buy one and have it turn out to be crappy. lol
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 9:39am
Actually I did run one drive E-SATA, one Firewire and one USB, I didn't see any significant differences, the speed of the interface isnt really a problem, it is how fast your drives can accurately read the media, for simplicity though I returned to all USB connections as it was just as effective.  One issue I did find with both E-Sata and firewire was that the drives would "disappear" in the OS for some reason and it was always a pain to get them to show back up....hence my lazy approach with USB.  USB3.0 will completely change the game for me on this front. Assuming the Drives can read faster than my current hardware...which is on the higher end of the performance scale.

As for my ripping software I use AnyDVD and Virtual Clone Drive together.  For transcoding I'll probably use Handbrake.  I've only ripped one BluRay to date as a proof of concept to myself, but have done many many many DVD's and CD's

Edited by MagiK - 29 Nov 2010 at 9:43am
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 10:04am
Yes USB 3.0 drives will be nice.
AnyDVD was one of the ones I was looking at. Thanks for the info.Big%20Smile
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 10:07am
In my opinion after a huge amount of testing and searching AnyDVD is the best at what it does.  My particular version is AnyDVD HD.6.7.3.0 as of the last update.

The quick and easy part is the ripping, the long CPU intensive part is the transcoding from an iso image to a more compact MPEG fileset.  Thats my next big hurdle.

Edited by MagiK - 29 Nov 2010 at 10:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply