Post Date: 2015-12-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Olerong View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: X-99 Deluxe Sound Question
    Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:41am
Wrapping up a few final questions before ordering a Velox. Looking at sound now. I think that I'm going with the ASUS X99-DELUXE USB 3.1 motherboard and Intel Core i7 5930K processor, and was wondering if it is worth getting the Sound Blaster Z soundcard. I switch between the Audioengine A5+ speakers and Astro A40 headphones. Just wondering if the Sound Blaster Z offers a significant improvement in sound quality, etc. over the X-99 on-board audio.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 8:03am
Hi Olerong....  I can't help much with actual experience, but I would first make sure that Creative vs Windows 10 , if that's the OS you'll use, has updated the drivers for the SB Z and if anyone on their forums is having any issues.   It has been awhile, so Creative must've updated by now, but still good to check. During the summer there were complaints. 

If no one can help and other forums don't either with a comparison, I would get the rig minus the sound card and see if it fits your needs.   On board audio is a big step up over several years ago.  The card is easy enough to install.

Good luck. Big%20Smile

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 3:47pm
i can speak for head phone usage.  i use an external dac (JDS Labs) and amp (SMSL SAP II) rather than internal sound card to process and boost sound.  no (notorious) software conflicts (notoriously bad Creative Labs drivers) to worry about with this setup. 

in your situation, switching between phones and speakers it might be worth it.  the (old reliable) Asus Xonar Essence STX is top rated from what i've read.  the other is the Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZXR.  each has insanely high signal-to-noise ratios.  the Asus card needs power from your psu and the CL card does not.  also, the CL card has more external outputs for speakers and phones; and overall would seem to fit your needs better.  i've also heard the driver support from CL is much better with this line of sound card then in times past. 

hope this input helps in your decision-making process.   

Edited by db188 - 05 Dec 2015 at 3:48pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply