FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

~Config Review~

Post Date: 2010-11-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Qwann View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Qwann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ~Config Review~
    Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 2:05am
Hello there everyone.

-I made a thread on here about 4 weeks ago and I was going to just edit that one to reflect my update since that time, but it seems like anything past page 3 in the config discussion has disappeared. I talked to Sarah earlier, and it seems that there indeed will be some sort of further savings to be had on black friday, so I'll be purchasing my rig that day.
-Budget- 1400$ - not including whatever the black friday sale is.
-Usage- 90% WoW and SC2- 10% School work and web browsing.
-Special Needs- Needs a wireless card as in my current house hardwiring is not possible and I'll be lugging this off to college next year and I'm assuming that I'll only have access to wi-fi.

Looking at (461359)

-I'm not sure on that motherboard.. I'm considering moving up to the ASUS P55 Pro- I saw !ender post on another thread recently that the EVGA P55 SLI could bottleneck OC some- if so, how much? When I googled that model, it showed up as a micro board on Newegg- Can that be considered a con? Would it be worth it to upgrade the MB?
Other than that, I can't wait to place my order, I'm going to be stuck in Stage 8 for forever!

Oh, and happy turkey day too!
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 9:52am
its the p55 M that will limit your OC
but if you are more of a wow person, it shouldnt matter too much to your use, hopefully you could still get easily in to the 3.5ghz+ range but without seeing a lot of results from that board its hard to tell

i'll just add: right now i feel like the 460 is really not worth it... $58 bucks more and you have a 470.. thats just the cost of one game for better performance across the board

the price of the 470 really has it as the best buy right now, that would be smarter than upgrading the mobo
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 12:00pm
If you upgrade to the gtx 470 which is much better than the 460 and only $50 more as ender said. If you take off wifi for internet access then you will be able to afford it in your budget.
You shouldn't go with wifi because its much less reliable than wired. You can get cut off during your game ect. It would be much better to go with wired and move your router or find somewhere to run the cord. Thats what i'm doing when i get my DS rig.
Steam:pcmaster160
Qwann View Drop Down

Quote Qwann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 12:44pm
Indeed !ender, the default mb in the 1156 bracket is the evga p55m sli -are you by chance talking about the evga p55mv?
I've read a lot of great reviews about the 460 and it seems to be more than overkill for WoW-which I play much more than SC2. Also, from my understanding- wow is a largely cpu bound game so changing the mobo to up the oc a bit seems like the logical choice for me.
Thoughts?

@maxy- hardwiring my new computer won't be poossible for right now, and like I stated originally, I'm also expecting only wi fi access next year so its neccesity.

Edited by Qwann - 25 Nov 2010 at 12:47pm
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 12:57pm
oh sorry missed that.
if your only plaing wow then a 460 might be decent but its only $50 more and its a great deal if you decide to play another game or something it will play better. I don't really know how Wow uses the gpu or cpu because i don't play it so don't know how it would do on a 460 really.
Qwann View Drop Down

Quote Qwann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 1:59pm
WOOHOO Black friday =15% off--- That should really help me a bunch.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 9:20pm
yea that is the default because the evga p55 sli is stuck with productions problems, both the m and the mv are below the p55 SLI
wow is cpu bound, but contrary to a lot of wow fans beliefs.. it doesnt take much to run at all, its far more server and ISP based than hardware
and its dangerous to buy video power thats "good enough" gamers should always buy the most video power that can fit in thier budget
Qwann View Drop Down

Quote Qwann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 3:27pm
Alrighty guys, I finally pulled the trigger, and this is what I ended up with.

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - HAF 922
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 760 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D PRO P55 SLI (Intel P55 Chipset)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless-PCI N 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 5 Year Limited Warranty

Sub-Total: $1,418.00
Tax: $0.00
S&H: Ground $65.00
Grand Total: $1,483.00

I took everyones suggestions and moved up to a 470, along with the asus p55 pro- Hopefully I can get an !ender approved now. I'm already well along into stage 8. Can't wait!!
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 4:19pm
nice!
Qwann View Drop Down

Quote Qwann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 9:35pm
Just wanted to add a quick update to post my OC settings and see what you guys think. It's been exactly one week since I ordered and I'm already in stage 7. GO DS! I've been in extreme stage 8 this week as many of you have probably noticed. I've even chimed in on some other people looking at new rigs to prevent myself from letting the excitement get too crazy. I also noticed that I got this email at 6:30 Pm PST which is an hour and a half after DS closes, or at least takes phone calls, so thanks to whoever is still there testing my system!

Here it is- It hit 3.8 and for my needs that looks amazing!

Overclocked Processor Settings

Processor Speed GHz: 3.8
CPU Multiplier: 21
Voltage CPU VCore: 1.243
VDroop Control: Yes
i7 - BCLK MHz: 181
i7 - Voltage QPI\DRAM:
i7 - Voltage QPI\PLL:
i7 - Voltage CPU VTT:
i7 - Voltage IOH Vcore:
i7 - Voltage ICH Vcore:
i7 - Voltage IOH/ICH I/O:
i7 - PWM Frequency:
780i/790i - Memory Clock Mode:
780i/790i - CPU FSB MHz:
780i/790i - Voltage FSB:
780i/790i - Voltage SPP:
780i/790i - Voltage MCP:

Motherboard BIOS: 1702
Video Card Driver: 260.99
Chipset Driver: CD
Sound Card Driver: CD

-------------------------------------------

Estimated Shipment Date: 0-1 business days (Mon-Fri) from 12/3/2010

Looks like it will ship out on monday~ Yay!~ Just in time for cataclysm. Anyone know how many days it usually takes from leaving DS to arriving? I live in arizona so I assume that it shouldn't take too long from california, and that I'll get some sort of tracking code with my final e-mail, but I am just way too anxious for my own good.

Edited by Qwann - 03 Dec 2010 at 9:49pm
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 12:17am
wow nice! so jealous! 3.8!
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 11:44am
Im so jealous, 2 weeks and 4 days since I ordered, and 2 weeks and 3 days since I hit Stage 3....and Im still on stage 3...  *sigh*  Patience is such a hard thing.Disappointed

Speaking of which, anyone remember Alex's Email addy? The one I have used in the past is bouncing back  :( 

Edited by MagiK - 04 Dec 2010 at 11:57am
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 12:02pm
MagiK,

[email protected]

Is what I've always used.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 12:03pm
Yeah me too but something must have gotten hosed in my address book, it just bounces back to me.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 12:55pm
that is the correct email, so it must be you Confused
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by MagiK

Yeah me too but something must have gotten hosed in my address book, it just bounces back to me.

I've seen emails coming in every day, I don't think there is anything wrong on our end.
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 3:49pm
It was my gmail address book.  I had to re-enter the address.
Qwann View Drop Down

Quote Qwann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 10:56pm
Another update!
~Got my final E-mail with my tracking #.
~Estimated delivery date is 12/8 - Wednesday! Woohoo.
~Once I get it I'll try to get a review with some pics up. Unfortunately I have a school project I have to work on that day though. What great timing... oh well.
Qwann View Drop Down

Quote Qwann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 3:50pm
Another update!
It's wednesday after school, and I check my tracking number and realize that they FedEx attempted delivery of my rig at 11:30 AM. I'm pretty frustrated as I had everyone in the house rearrange their schedule's to make sure someone was always at the house, but it nobody could be home between 11 and 12. /sigh
I then tried calling 1-800-GOFEDEX and talked to a very rude representative that I could barely understand who stated that I couldn't pick it up later tonight because the driver would return to the depot past closing time, and that it would be delivered again tomorrow, when unfortunately no one would be home again. He said I should put up a note to instruct the driver that it would be ok to leave it there.
At this point I was pretty frustrated, and I went home. On the door was a note left by the driver with the option to sign it so that he could leave it tomorrow, and a hand written note with the local depot's number. I called and spoke with a very polite manager who said that I could come pick it up at 2:30 PM, as the driver was almost back. I am so glad that I was able to speak to a decent human being, as I've been very anxious lately. I would also say to stay away from calling fedex's 1-800 number and speaking to anyone there, as that was amazingly frustrating. I'm going to be leaving to go get it here in a few minutes, so I'll update you guys later tonight.

/rant off
~Qwann~
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote MagiK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 4:27pm
I wouldnt leave something that expensive when no one is home....skip school, take a day off or something.  The computer is a bigger investment than a single days wages and school can be made up.

Just my philosophy on the matter,  Hope you get it home tonight.

Edited by MagiK - 08 Dec 2010 at 4:29pm
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 11:20pm
I have to agree with him. its yoo valuble to be left out. plus its like below 0 here but I would rather go to the depot to pick it up. anyway that way the ride home would seem so long :)
Qwann View Drop Down

Quote Qwann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:09am
Another update!
I've just finished up some intense gaming on my new rig and all I can say is that it blows everything I can throw at it away. I cranked the settings all the way up in WoW and SC2 and it didn't even notice.
The package was HUGE when I went to pick it up at the depot. So big that I had to unpack it at the fedex depot and have my brother ride in the back of my car holding the pc while I carefully drove home.
The only downside to this whole story is that the antennae on my wireless card were completely busted in transit. I already talked to Mike earlier today and have a new one on the way. WooHoo for DS customer service and awesome warranty. Once I figure out how to get some pics up I'll show you guys the awesome lighting.. I love it... really I do...
~Qwann~

Edited by Qwann - 11 Dec 2010 at 6:15pm
Qwann View Drop Down

Quote Qwann Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 6:23pm
Another update!
I've been gaming hard all week and it's been awesome, although a couple things concern me a bit.
I've had some strange instances of weird graphical bugs while playing WoW in the new Deepholm zone (and only deepholm, which makes me think its something on the server's end). Basically some of the textures go crazy and change colors. It's only happened twice and I can't seem to replicate it myself, and it's probably nothing. Both times when this happened I checked MSI afterburner, and although the temps on my 470 haven't ever gone over 68*C, it shows some crazy GPU usage spikes- like up to 90%, down to 5% and back up and down a few times in a second. Either alt tabbing and tabbing back in or restarting WoW fixes the problem.
My other concern is that my CPU seems to be running pretty hot. It idles at 39*C according to HW monitor, but it's gone all the way up to 62*C playing WoW. According to intel this chip is safe up to 72*C but it seems a little high to me. Perhaps this is just because of the (somewhat) aggressive overclock of 3.8?
Any thoughts or am I just worrying over nothing?

Also here's a quick picture.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Qwann - 11 Dec 2010 at 6:57pm
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 6:47pm
All the spikes and everything are probably WOW's problem. And not sure if the temps for the cpu are normal but 3.8 is hardly an aggressive overclock. Since it made it through the 24 hour full load test on both the gpu and cpu it should be fine. Maybe Wow isn't using all the cores and just making one or two cores really hot? and i have no clue about wow but the problem is most likely it is just using the cpu/gpu wrong therefore there are the spikes and high temps. nothing to worry about though because if it made it through the 24 hour load test it can make it through everything.
and for the pic nice mac in the background lol
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Qwann

My other concern is that my CPU seems to be running pretty hot. It idles at 39*C according to HW monitor, but it's gone all the way up to 62*C playing WoW. According to intel this chip is safe up to 72*C but it seems a little high to me. Perhaps this is just because of the (somewhat) aggressive overclock of 3.8?

those temps arent high at all
and they are safe peaking over 72c
 Post Reply Post Reply