FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

About $1300, but which model?

Post Date: 2015-10-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Owen778 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Owen778 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: About $1300, but which model?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 8:32am
So, I have two questions, 1. Does this build sound suitable, and 2. Which model to buy? Many thanks.

Budget:
About $1300, but I could increase or decrease if needed. I could find the money, but I don't have the time to justify buying a high-spec system.

Expectations:
Will drive a single 1920x1200 BenQ monitor. It's been out of use for a while, so if that's broken, I may upgrade to 1440p, possibly with G-Sync.

Usage:
Gaming, web and some general usage. Games will likely include strategy - Europa Universalis 4, Crusader Kings 2, Civ 5, and others genres too, The Witcher 3 is likely to be the most intensive.

Special Needs:
Prefer smaller case, but flexible.

Saved Ticket #:
Eclipse 1300202

Specifications:
Something like this, I'm open to suggestions:
i5 6500
8GB RAM
1x250GB SSD + 1x1TB HDD
GTX 950
DVD Writer
Air cooled
450 or 500W PSU
Standard Intel overclocking only

My question, though is this: I can get this setup from several different Digital Storm models, and the cost of them is different. Is the cost of the different cases what causes the price difference, or are there other differences too? I've aimed to make the setup as similar as possible.
Eclipse $1310
Bolt 3 $1535
Slade $1276 (with Corsair Carbide Air 540)
Apollo $1276 (case as above)

Thanks again.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 9:34am
Hi Owen778.....    For your budget I would suggest the Vanquish level 3 or level 4.   Being a prebuilt setup, DS passes the savings on to you and are the best deals around.  Either one  gives you a much better video card , faster processor, larger power supply and easier to work on.  The level 3 is best bang for you buck. 

The Eclipse is great if space is at a premium.  

The difference in prices is the different cases.  

For gaming on a 1440p or 1200p monitor I would want a gtx 970 for games now and down the road.  It's in the budget so I wouldn't skimp on the card.

Hope this helps and good luck. Big%20Smile

Owen778 View Drop Down

Quote Owen778 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 8:23pm
Thanks, that makes sense. I have been mostly keeping away from cheaper mid-towers and bigger because I'd prefer something that is smaller and doesn't remind me of old 1990s cases, but the Vanquish still isn't a bad looking case, and the better value may be worthwhile.

I'll think about increasing to the 970, too. I've never felt a big need for really high graphics detail with high frames per second, but the 970 would stay useable for longer, so may still be the better choice.

Thanks.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 5:39am
Here's an article with comparisons between the video cards. 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_950_gaming_2_way_sli_review,13.html

Gtx 970 is almost double the performance over the 950 and isn't too much at all , especially if you went 1440p.     Gives you much more headroom for future games. 

Big%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply