FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice for future proofed SLI rig

Post Date: 2016-11-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sidersdd View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sidersdd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice for future proofed SLI rig
    Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 12:18pm
It's been probably 15 years since I've really paid attention to hardware and custom built a system. I'm now looking to replace an 8 year old Dell XPS system with a modern gaming rig. I mostly play racing games, and am hoping to create a system which would allow playing Forza Apex and Horizon 3 at 4K with ease. I'm also interested in other games like Titanfall 2 and Ashes of the Singularity in 4K if possible.

I'd also like to make sure whatever setup I get today, I'll be able to expand it in the future. I'm imagining a not too distant future with multiple 4K monitor setup for racing, which may require an SLI configuration. For that reason I'm assuming a larger PSU is needed. I chose an 850W.

I know next to nothing about overclocking and cooling - other than overclocking increases the temperature, of which there is a limit and point at which performance is not improved, and that cooling reduces the temperatures. But how do you determine how much of a cooling setup is required? Is the liquid cooling really only needed for overclocking? What are the typical noise levels of the cooling systems?

Below is the config I came up with. Advice/feedback would be appreciated.

Budget:
$3000

Expectations:
1440 to 4K gaming now, multiple 4K monitor gaming later

Usage:
Forza racing 4K gaming, occasional video editing

Special Needs:
Prefer to keep noise to a minimum

Saved Ticket #: 1527009

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (White)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA <br><strong></strong>
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (BACKORDERED ETA End of November) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (EVGA ACX 3.0) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Blue) Fans <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard) <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <br><strong></strong>
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature (Restore Windows + Drivers) (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
davev View Drop Down

Quote davev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 12:46pm
Hi.. I am not going to offer advice on your 4K questions - I am not yet a Fan of 4K and also not very knowledgeable. ( perhaps in the future when prices drop and standards become more "STD" )
But, I would suggest you look at this article about using the : M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express)
with SLI config's. Good Info for the future of the new SSD's

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/04/asus-z97-x99-motherboards-intel-750-series-nvme-ssds-all-you-need-to-know/

Edited by davev - 20 Nov 2016 at 12:48pm
davev View Drop Down

Quote davev Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 1:04pm
Content edited. This forum is for configuration of Digital Storm machines. Posting of DIY configurations would be better suited for another site. Thank you.

Edited by Snaike - 20 Nov 2016 at 2:08pm
sidersdd View Drop Down

Quote sidersdd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by davev

Hi.. I am not going to offer advice on your 4K questions - I am not yet a Fan of 4K and also not very knowledgeable. ( perhaps in the future when prices drop and standards become more "STD" )
But, I would suggest you look at this article about using the : M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express)
with SLI config's. Good Info for the future of the new SSD's

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/04/asus-z97-x99-motherboards-intel-750-series-nvme-ssds-all-you-need-to-know/

Thanks for that link. That article, along with some others that I googled have provided me some insights into M.2 and how important motherboard design is. I also wasn't fully aware of the different number of channels that CPUs supported and how PCIe works.

So it sounds like the gist of it is that with some motherboards, items plugged into the M.2 port can physically interfere with cards (large ones like a 1080) plugged into one of the x16 slots. It's not clear to me if the Z170 motherboards have this problem.

A work around is to go the route of the PCIe add-in-card. What's not clear to me is when they speak of which of the x16 ports to use for that card. The advice is to use the second slot, which is normally used for the second card in an SLI setup. Why does it matter? It sounds like on the Z170 motherboard that the first two slots run at x8 if filled, and the third slot runs at x4. The M.2 slot is x4. Can the NVMe SSD take advantage of the x8? Are there some motherboards with x8 M.2 slots? Seems like I should be able to use the first two slots for SLI, and then the third slot at x4 for the add-in-card NVMe.

To get an X99 motherboard requires the Level 3 Apollo, which is a bit more money. Although I'm not sure why? The CPU is different (i7 6850K to get the 40 channel support) and the motherboard of course (the article recommends the DELUXE for some reason).

I'm still playing with options.
sidersdd View Drop Down

Quote sidersdd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 4:51pm
Can the graphics card, such as the 1080 EVGA ACX 3.0, really be overclocked much without water cooling?
sidersdd View Drop Down

Quote sidersdd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 12:25pm
I'm going to skip the M.2 SSD for now and go with this config:

Configuration Code: 1528729
Total Price with Instant Savings: $3,099.00

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1528729

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (White)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-DELUXE (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Samsung 850 EVO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (EVGA ACX 3.0) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Blue) Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s) <br><strong></strong>
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers) <br><strong></strong>
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 12:45pm
That build looks right on.       Quality drives, psu, graphics card. If I was buying right now, it's thebuild I would have, with just the a Pro or A mobo and smaller HDD being my pick. Still would be on the fence for the CPU cooler.

No internal lighting ? Just me.
Vladimchen View Drop Down

Quote Vladimchen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 1:36pm
Hey bp, I was kind of looking through some of your posts on other config suggestions and I am wondering why you would pick the PRO Gaming motherboard over DELUXE?

http://www.custompcguide.net/the-differences-between-all-asus-mainstream-z170-motherboards/

That website looks really helpful and it seems that they would recommend DELUXE due to its heatsink. Would that be the main reason to get it? aside from additional slots, etc.
sidersdd View Drop Down

Quote sidersdd Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 1:41pm
I've been debating the motherboard decision myself. Pro and A are cheaper than the Deluxe. All you really get with the Deluxe is built in wifi/Bluetooth, the extra USB ports, and some additional internal connection options. If you don't need those then don't spend the extra money.

Edited by sidersdd - 22 Nov 2016 at 1:43pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 2:35pm
I personally wouldn't get the Deluxe because of the added cost for what I need.   I don't do WIFI on my gaming rig, don't need the extra connectivity and the larger heatsink isn't needed for my needs.   It is a nice board with better components and power phasing, but, again, the others get it done.

If it's in the budget, Deluxe is nice. Nothing wrong with premium.

Vladimchen View Drop Down

Quote Vladimchen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 5:17am
Ok thanks for the feedback. I was just curious, but I can't imagine using any of the extra slots or any of the other features that come with Deluxe. I think liquid cooling also minimizes the need for extra heat-sink. I might splurge on a something like this in the future tho

Your setup looks really nice sidersdd, I hope the build will progress without a hitch. Mine moved to stage 6 yesterday so it's basically done, took them about 5 days to build it.
 Post Reply Post Reply