FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on a Lumos Config for Photoshop/Gaming?

Post Date: 2018-02-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
doginthefog View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote doginthefog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice on a Lumos Config for Photoshop/Gaming?
    Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 3:12pm
Hello! I'm looking to get back into the PC Desktop world after several years away from the scene. I was initially looking at the Vanquish lvl 4, but then I started playing around with the custom Lumos configs to see what I could get there. I've survived the last 6 years on a lil' MBP, so I'm clearly not *that* hardcore, but I want something that's going to last and do it's job well.

As I said, I've been out of the scene for a couple years now, so a little help would go a long way!

Build ID: 1853155

Budget: < 3K (machine only; already have all the extras)

Usage & Expectations:

I'm a digital illustrator who spends a fair bit of time working on rather large .PSD files in Adobe Photoshop. I use a Wacom Cintiq for this (basically a 2nd monitor you can draw on.) I also make use of Illustrator, Flash, InDesign, and the rest of the creative suite... but Photoshop is by far the leader. I've also recently started to dabble in 3D modeling using Z-Brush, which I realize can be pretty intensive on a machine.

This is also going to be my primary gaming machine, since I've managed to miss out on the entirety of the most recent generation of consoles. I'd say I lean towards the casual side of things though; I'm not particularly obsessed with 4k/FPS/etc. I've got a 1080 monitor, I'll likely also use my TV (slightly older - 2010?) as a 2nd monitor for when I want to game on the couch with the dog. (Or for streaming movies, media, etc.)

Special Needs:
Uh... my dog sheds A LOT. But I'm not sure if there's anything to do about that besides frequent cleanings...

Questions:

- I bumped up my Motherboard to support possible SLI options down the road (no immediate plans, more of a 'well maybe one day' thought); but in that case, would I need to upgrade to a larger power supply as well? If i'm not going to bother with SLI, should I bother with the upgrade for any other reason?

- The 1080 Graphics card is still on back order by the looks of things, although possibly arriving soon (end of Feb?). Is it worth going with a different card to avoid the delay?

- I bumped up my storage hard drive to a 4TB WD Gold since I deal with a lot of large image files. Is this is a good choice?

- I've never used a Liquid Cooling system before - is it something I want for this build? Anything I should know about them beforehand?

- I've also never overclocked anything before - is this something I should consider?

These forums have already been a huge help getting this far, and I really appreciate any extra bit of advice before I pull the trigger on this bad boy. Thanks guys!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:50am
Build looks real good but I would change the Vortex cooler for the Corsair H115i.   A known unit with 5 year manufacturers warranty, vs DS branded with just their warranty. They don’t have top end air coolers anymore so the liquid H coolers are very good.   You could go full water cooling as you asked, but not really needed plus there will be maintenance down the road. If you pushed oc or ran your rig 24 hours a day with modeling, etc then water would be a nice addition, but be prepared for working on it.

For sli you want at least the 850watt psu, otherwise I’d get at least the 750 watt even for single card.

If you won’t sli, then the cheaper board is very good, but I always spend a little more for usually better components, audio, etc but there are so many variables it’s tough to recommend any one board.   They are all good.

For a 1080p screen, no need to wait for the gtx 1080.   The gtx 1070 or 1070 Ti will max almost everything.   The 1080 is if you bumped up to 1440p.

The 8700k has excellent overclocking built in so no need for more unless your 3D modeling, etc loves every MHz it can get.    I’d just stick with no oc.

To sum up....get the gtx 1070/Ti , the Corsair H115i and the mobo is good to go.   You could save a few bucks with non sli mobo but I’d stay with your pick.   

Hope this helps.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 7:00am
My preference is for the MSI Pro Carbon mobo. Asus is not easy to deal with if you have a warranty issue after the DS warranty expires, plus, I've seen reviews it's a better choice.

Get the Internal lighting, it's free, and you can turn it off if you want. I really like it!
doginthefog View Drop Down

Quote doginthefog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:09am
Thanks guys! Lockin' it in today.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply