FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All-in-one build, opinions please

Post Date: 2017-02-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Diehard44501 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Diehard44501 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: All-in-one build, opinions please
    Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 7:49am
Budget:
Around $2,000

Usage:
General usage, light gaming such as Stronghold, Civ, LoL, RS, WoW, etc. I am looking for a long life expectancy more than anything, which is what I think everyone looks for. The all in one interests me because of how mobile it is and the reduction in wiring. Any and all opinions matter and I take all into consideration because I do not know much about building computers. I currently have an all in one which could also be gearing me towards this all in one. My current build is below along with the link/code. Thanks everyone!

Saved Ticket #/code: 1621357
Link: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1621347

Specifications:
Item 1 --- Digital Storm Aura (Config # 1621350)
$2,266.00
$2,266.00
Chassis
Chassis Model: Pre-built Digital Storm Aura

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 (Turbo Up to 4.20 GHz) (Codename Kaby Lake) (Quad Core) (Not Overclockable)
Motherboard: MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Intel Z270 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E Device)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 450W (80 Plus Gold Rated) (Supports up to GTX 1080)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: SSD - 480GB Digital Storm Performance Series
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature (Restore Windows + Drivers) (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies
Display: Custom Color Calibration Monitor Profile By Professional Sensor Tool
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:33am
Hi Diehard....I would suggest at least the gtx 1060, dropping the rather weak 1050ti.   For the extra money you'll get a much stronger video card by 50% and up,  especially to render the ultra wide 1440p screen.   

The games mentioned aren't all that demanding but , for longevity, you never know what you'll be playing in a year or two.

I personally am not a fan of AIOs for gaming, because the screen is locked to the pc components but they do have a following for the reasons you mentioned.  If the rig is stationary then an Apollo, Bolt etc is best bang for the buck. 

The Vanquish level 2, Better, is $1353 with the gtx 1060, which gives you money to purchase a separate screen after checking reviews for the better ones.  Just more flexibility, easier upgrade, etc.

Just me.

Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 27 Feb 2017 at 9:40am

Quote Diehard44501 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:44am
Hi bprat22,

Thank you for the quick reply. Based off your input the gtx does seem worth it for an extra $155. Is the life expectancy about the same between both? After purchasing a custom built computer I won't have the expenses to upgrade/repair for awhile. What do you mean by the screen is locked to the pc components? I want a semi-easily mobile computer for local LANs and gaming tourney's. Im taking a look at the Vanquish, Apollo and Bolt now and customizing them. I like how much I save with the Vanquish so I can get a high quality monitor and space for customization, like you said.

For monitors, are there any that you recommend brand wise?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 12:05pm
If by life expectancy you mean how long they last, that would be impossible to say, parts can die anytime.   If you mean good gaming before you need to upgrade then the better video card is it.

By locked I mean the monitor is what it is, no choice in what screen you want.   Plus, if the screen dies or gets dead pixels or just has issues, it's an all in one unit where a dead screen means a dead computer.   Of course you have the option to run a monitor cable from your video card to an external monitor but that defeats the AIO.

For portability to LAN parties, I guess the AIO is a better pick but gaming desktops, even the AIO, Bolt ,etc aren't really designed to be lugged around without parts loosening. If you've been doing it right along without issues then congrats on keeping it from bouncing around.     That's what good laptop would be great at, but those are much more expensive.      

I haven't checked monitors lately.   That's where Amazon reviews, not always reliable, and tech sites come in handy to get the best bang for your buck.

Quote Diehard44501 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 7:49am
I understand now. In that case, the AIO is not the best option.
I am looking at the types of fans, overclocking, sound boost, and internet access. For fans it seems like Thermaltake is the best when it comes to cooling and performance but I would like your opinions to make sure I am correct or if has a higher cost just because of the aesthetics/looks. The other options are standard or Corsair. For internet access I am thinking of staying with basic access because I will almost always be directly connected via Ethernet. For sound, I will always have a headset on so im unsure if I should stay with the motherboard audio or upgrade to the creative sound blaster Z. As for overclocking, I heard that overclocking can boost performance but decreases life expectancy/increases heat. I have never overclocked anything in previous computers and they seemed to work great. What's your opinion on it? Lastly, I upped from 8GB to 16GB that way I dont have to upgrade later.

Thank you
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 9:10am
The Thermaltake, I believe, are the high static fans, more for use on rads as the higher static pressure is needed to push through rads, etc.    The Corsair performance fans aren't much better, if at all, than the standard Corsair AF140l's that come with the Apollo 760T case as an example.  Its the cfm, airflow, that is important with case fans and the stock fans are good.  Basically, static fans for obstructions and high airflow for case.  I personally would just leave the stock fans in and save some money.   They work just fine.  If you want a quieter fan or just a different look then you'd have to spend a lot of time researching the ton of fans out there.  I haven't done it. Big%20Smile

I think the mobo audio if very good, a lot better than years past.  Those with sound cards swear by their sound cards, so its another opinion based on their own setup.  .   I think mobo audio is all most need unless you're into higher end audio.  I haven't had a sound blaster in many years.

Overclocking won't reduce cpu life if done in moderation.   The new Kaby lake, 7700k, chips can push 4.8-5.0 with little trouble and still stay safe.   DS. if you pick their oc, do it in moderation.  I like the overclock as long as you can get the 4.8-5.0 because the 7700k Turbos to 4.5 anyways without the added overclock.  It does help but is not a game changer.  I like it.

Putting in the 16 gb ram is a good choice.  Most games don't need more than 8gb, but 16gb is the new norm.

Basically, in my opinion, stick with stock fans, leave out the sound card, go for overclock and stay with 16gb ram.

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Feb 2017 at 9:12am
 Post Reply Post Reply