FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Behemoth for SLI or Harker for better CPU?

Post Date: 2015-07-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tamar View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tamar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Behemoth for SLI or Harker for better CPU?
    Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 10:45am
Hello all, as the name suggests I am thinking about getting a new gaming laptop and come across the behemoth and the harker chassis and noticed that the harker has a better cpu but the behemoth has sli. My question is, which configuration (both with 980m's and identical drives and ram) would have the better game performance?

Budget would be $4,000 (could go up) and it would possibly be used for solidworks modeling and maybe some cpu intensive tasks which is why I am considering the harker chassis. Also, I am leaning towards the Intel Core i7 4810MQ on the behemoth because it has better price/performance. 

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 11:41am
If you'll be gaming on an higher resolution, external monitor, the Behemoth in sli will be much faster .   The difference in the processors won't be all that much.

For Modeling/CAD etc the processor is more important.  If it utlilizes the quad core, and rendering tasks probably do, the 4790K with higher clocks over the 4810 will get the tasks done quicker.   If you game and model on just the laptop screen, the Harkin with just a single 980M will game and model great.  For external high res screen, the sli will would be my pick, even if modeling is a little slower.    Best of both worlds, imho.

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

EDIT.... I was thinking 980, desktop model .... even on the laptop screen, 1920x1080, the sli 980m will give much better fps     The difference in gaming will be much more obvious then the difference in cpu's for modeling.  SLI wins. 

Overall, I'd go Behemoth if higher settings in gaming with faster frames is the most important. 

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Jul 2015 at 11:49am
Tamar View Drop Down

Quote Tamar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 12:28pm
Thanks for the input, I do have one additional concern. Would the 980m be compatible with the latest version of solidworks? (Or two 980m's in SLI?)

Edit: Also, are there any new hardware coming down the line in 2 months?

Edited by Tamar - 19 Jul 2015 at 12:45pm
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 10:41pm
If Solidworks—I'm not familiar with it but looked it up and see that it's CAD software—is your priority then you want to go with the Harker.  Not only is the CPU newer, but the Harker has the option to go with an Nvidia Quadro card, which is much preferable for CAD than a GeForce.  However, if you plan to game at all on this laptop, you may need to stick with a GeForce as I don't believe Quadros are very good for gaming at all.

It's not so much a question of compatibility but what your priorities are.

If you need to know for sure about compatibility with Solidworks, you will need to look into that on Solidworks' site or various CAD forums where they may well know much better than we do here.
 Post Reply Post Reply